ASIair Plus - Version 2.1.2 (11.01) Tracking / Guiding Issues with Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro ZWO ASIair Plus · Sarah Allred · ... · 52 · 2315 · 5

joe90605 0.00
· 
·  2 likes
Problem for sure was caused by the update on March 15th, version referenced in the title of this thread.   After update, slew buttons just for basic movement were hit and miss, either over response by mount, or delayed response.  Still, I could set plan and image, no issues with acquiring and guiding for initial target.  However, could not go to another target and sync.  AsiAir would cause camera to snap shots while slewing to new target and to a totally wrong part of sky.  Mount is a CGX-L that has been used numerous times before the update with zero issues.  Downloaded the APK for V2.0 and installed that.  AsiAir messages that app doesn't match the firmware, but everything now works like it used to.
Aerialist 0.00
· 
·  1 like
I'm having the exact same issue. Thought I was crazy. So far, I've lost 5 night of Imaging, which is a premium in the cloudy Midwest. I hope ZWO has a fix soon.
Skatora 0.00
· 
·  2 likes
Hi everyone! 

Thanks for the thoughtful and in-depth discussion. It really helped morale to know I wasn't alone. I took and applied practically all of your advice and did a troubleshooting extravaganza the last couple of clear nights: 
  • Recalibrated guiding (several times)
  • We put the mount and the ASIair on separate power supplies (interestingly, we attempted to put the camera on its own power supply, but the ASIair would not recognize it unless the power was also plugged in). We also trialed using home power instead of battery power.
  • Reset ASIair
  • Reverted to two older versions of the ASIair
  • We opened our mount to ensure the belts were in good working order. We looked at it while the ASIair was "guiding" and discovered the RA gearing wasn't moving... but only while guiding. The RA gears would move just fine when doing large movements.

Nothing above improved our situation. It was very frustrating. However, we finally found a solution that (maybe) worked!
  • My husband and I setup the EQ6-R using "factory" components - We used the hand controller and the power cable that came with it in the box.
  • After doing PA and 2-star setup, we were pleased to note that the mount tracked without error.
  • On a whim, we turned on the ASIair (2.1.2 (11.01)), and it magically started to work without issue, but it did take 5+ minutes for it to calibrate guiding.

I honestly don't know what combination of factors led to success. I think the biggest component was using the mount's factory power cable and putting the mount and the ASIair on different power supplies. 

It's been cloudy again, so I haven't been able to test to ensure this was a actual fix, and not some luck of the software. Next time we go out, I'll let you know if I keep having errors or not. 

Thanks!!

Register or login to create to post a reply.