ASIair Plus - Version 2.1.2 (11.01) Tracking / Guiding Issues with Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro ZWO ASIair Plus · Sarah Allred · ... · 52 · 2313 · 5

kaelig 1.81
· 
·  1 like
After the update, I have got guiding issue (bad values), so I could not imaging. I am waiting a new clear night in order to confirm or not this issue. I have changed nothing in my setup.
Joo_Astro 1.91
· 
·  1 like
Marc Sheaffer:
As far as power, I always run off house AC power, but I do power the camera from the ASIAir.

You power a cooled camera from the ASIAIR? I didn't even know that's possible at all.
You really should get a separate power adapter for the camera.
jfgildepareja 0.00
· 
·  1 like
I have guiding issues too with my Asiair mini and AVX mount after the latest firmware update. The monut tracks, but there is a very important worsening in the guiding results. I have experienced plate solving issues too, that complicates the PA and the goto. I have uninstalled the app, reset tha Asiair, installed the app and the firmware again, the same with the mount, test multiple calibrations and guiding adjustments....nothing seems to work. It's frustrating and I have no idea of what to do. I'm newbie and use to think that issues are my fault (and use to be LOL), but it seems that this time I can blame the firmware
Edited ...
janb1968 0.00
· 
·  1 like
I thought it was me, but i had similar issues on my last session - had to throw out nearly half of frames due to similar shifts.
OnlyTheSky 0.90
· 
·  1 like
Hi,

there is a new entry (MinMon) in the Guide Section of ASIAIR. Have you changed it?

CS
Dominik
jfgildepareja 0.00
· 
·  1 like
No. I left it in 0.1 pixels
msheaffer 0.90
· 
·  1 like
Johannes Möslein:
Marc Sheaffer:
As far as power, I always run off house AC power, but I do power the camera from the ASIAir.

You power a cooled camera from the ASIAIR? I didn't even know that's possible at all.
You really should get a separate power adapter for the camera.

I have had zero issues so far.

However, it seems that it could depend on the camera. I’m using the 533MC Pro. However, if you were to look at the info for the 2600MC Pro on Agena Astro for example, they mention that in 2022, ZWO started making changes to their circuit boards and some cameras require dedicated power, and some will be fine running off the ASIAir.
msheaffer 0.90
· 
·  3 likes
I was unexpectedly able to test out my new setup last night, as the wind really died down and the sky was clear.

(EQ6-R Pro, Askar 103 APO, William Optics Uniguide 50 with ASI120MM Mini guide cam.)

Although the seeing was average to poor according to Astrospheric, I was able to guide between .55” and .7” for over six hours, with a meridian flip included. 

Fortunately, I had no guiding issues with the 2.1.2 (11.01) version.
jarvimf12020 0.90
· 
·  1 like
Marc, How do you like the Askar 103 APO?
msheaffer 0.90
· 
·  2 likes
Michael Jarvis:

Hi Michael,

It’s kind of too early to tell. Last night was first light, and I haven’t processed the data yet. As far as build quality, I am impressed so far. I like that it came with a nice long dovetail plate, and a mounting rail on top. The focuser seems well made, and the camera rotator with degree marks is a nice touch. Last night I used the 1x flattener, but I have yet to try the 0.8x reducer. I have heard that the 0.6x reducer (which I did not purchase) is not the best as far as chromatic aberration and field flatness. 

There were some reports of pinched optics with the scope, but I’m not sure if mine has that problem or not. The stars looked good on the tablet in the ASIAir app, but again, I will get a better idea once I look at the subs and stacked image on the computer.

I got 6 hours of M101 last night, and I’m hoping to add more data tonight. We’ll see; there might be some high thin clouds moving in as I type this…
OnlyTheSky 0.90
· 
·  2 likes
Joaquín Fernández Gil de Pareja:
No. I left it in 0.1 pixels

This value was discussed in the ZWO Beta forum after the guiding values were so bad. The AM5/AM3 need 0.1px / min. 1sec and lower aggression values. 

I don't know what values other mounts require.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to test it yet due to the weather. But I'm curious to see how the guiding works with my HEQ5 Pro.

CS
Dominik
Edited ...
AstroDan500 5.63
· 
·  2 likes
My problems were solved last night with the AM5 and the Asiair and guiding.
Thanks to a lot of advice and tips on this thread.
I updated the firmware on my AM5.
I used separate power source for the Asiair rather than running thru the mount as AM5 recommends.
I reset and cleared all the guide info.
Used my heaviest setup, an Askar 600 with 2600MM and 120mm guidescope.
My guiding settled at .4-.6 which I am very happy with so problem is solved at least for me.
Thanks for all the good advice.
messierman3000 4.02
· 
·  1 like
John Sims:
- PA captures first image, starts plate solving, says "moving", but never moves the mount, or captures a second image or anything else

That happened to me. I just turned off the ASIair and mount, and disconnected all cables, then reconnected, and turned on everything, turned my cellular data on, then off again, and the problem was fixed.

About the new firmware, nothing (bad) is happening with me (maybe I didn't update?); I took my M51 image 2 nights ago, and let my asi533 go on autorun for the whole night for the first time, and ASIair also did an automated meridian flip; no problems.

EDIT: forgot to say, I'm not using EQ6r, it's an AVX.
Edited ...
msheaffer 0.90
· 
·  2 likes
Michael Jarvis:

Michael, here is my first image with the new scope. 

https://www.astrobin.com/tmimar/
jarvimf12020 0.90
· 
·  2 likes
Marc,
 Awesome image.  Thanks for sharing.
BamaElite 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Same thing happened to me last night, I used it Friday night without a hitch for 6 hours. So I don't know what happened between the 2 nights but It is now almost useless for guiding. I use a separate power source for everything the Asi, heq5 pro and 2600mc pro all have their own power. I am going to follow this thread to see if any solutions pop up. I am also adding my Guiding files to see if anyone can spot the problem.Guiding.txt
messierman3000 4.02
· 
·  1 like
Maybe try recalibrating guiding? Maybe there is a calibration glitch.
DavesView 1.20
· 
·  1 like
I noticed that my screen view of the guide camera is very dark after the upgrade and stars are almost non-existent. Now ASIair often chooses a star that is too bright and pegs at 255. Thanks a lot ZWO! Did you use us as a hot test bed for your latest software upgrade?
DavesView 1.20
· 
·  3 likes
Update: So apparently I am unable to figure out how to stop app updates on my Samsung S22+. I reset the firmware and thought I had disabled auto updates, but had not. When opening ASIair app, it took me to updates. Finally disgusted, I clicked on update. It updated the app with 2.0 instead of 2.1. Did ZWO  realize they have screwed us up with the latest and they have gone back to 2.0. Anyone else see this?
Edited ...
johnrsims43 0.90
· 
·  1 like
I've been blessed with clear skies for two nights (and another tonight), so have been imaging.
Monday Night: Two "odd" occurrences:
- ASIAir "froze" while imaging during autorun. The lower right of the screen showed "loading", but no progress bar, and no indication of "shooting". I let this condition continue for over one minute, and then paused the capture, and re-statred the outrun. This seemed to fix the problem, and imaging continued without incident. This is similar to the PA freezing issue, but really have no idea if it is actually related. I did check to see if the app was using the ASIAir wifi, and it was, so not a wifi issue as far as I can tell.
- After finishing capturing the "light" images, I proceeded to capture flats (no problems), and then switched to bias frames. I use autorun for both of these processes. During the bias autorun the camera cooling fan turned off, and the app suggesting I check the cables. I wiggled the cables, and tried again. Still not fan, and the camera was still disconnected. The app suggested unplugging the cable (does not say power or usb, just the cable). I unplugged the usb cabler from the ASIAir, and re-plugged it in. Shazam, the fan turned on, and all systems were "go". Because the app knew to suggest unplugged and re-plugging the cable this condition must have been experience by others, and brought to the attention of ZWO.
Tuesday night, no problems at all. Best guiding I've seen. Sub 0.5 arc seconds for the most part (occasional 0.7), and also occasionally as low as 0.3

Finally, my 2 cents:
I believe the ASIAir and AM5 in combination are "on the edge" of failure, if the "right circumstances" prevail. If the temp outside is cold, if the dew heaters are running, if the ASIAir is being powered by the AM5, if you have a "cooled camera", if the sensor heater is turned on, if you are using ZWO cables (often 21 gauge), etc.... the design specifications of the two devices are not robust enough to function without risk of failure. I believe they used the lowest cost  components in their design (likely to keep the price low). This likely does not affect all users. But, if you get a unit with a couple of "marginal" components (that may not even meet the design spec), failures such as we have encountered will occur. If ZWO were providing proper support this might be OK, but, alas, not the case. I think I have done all I can do to minimize the likely hood of avoiding these issues, but understand that I may well encounter more interruptions to my image capture.
Perhaps the Stellarmate Pro will become more robust, and offer an alternative.

Good luck, and Clear Skies to all!
donsinger 0.00
· 
·  2 likes
I have had two 6 hour sessions with no problems 

I have found that using non-zwo usb cables (use TrippLite), a separate power supply for the mount and another for ASIAIR+, minimizes issues as you have described 

Never power anything from the AM5

Don
Edited ...
johnrsims43 0.90
· 
·  1 like
DavesView:
Update: So apparently I am unable to figure out how to stop app updates on my Samsung S22+. I reset the firmware and thought I had disabled auto updates, but had not. When opening ASIair app, it took me to updates. Finally disgusted, I clicked on update. It updated the app with 2.0 instead of 2.1. Did ZWO  realize they have screwed us up with the latest and they have gone back to 2.0. Anyone else see this?

Hi Dave,
I suggest that you check ALL setting on the ASIAir. Go to each device, and check ALL settings (including "advanced", etc... which will expose additional settings). On an earlier night out I did this and found a couple of settings that were not as I had left them (likely due to update).
- Guiding with Darks was turned off. I do occasionally update the darks library (for guiding) and leave this set to "ON". I have no idea how this might have been changed, except due to update.
- The mount was set to "ST4", which I never use. I reset to AM5/AM3.
- perhaps another as well.
I actually doubt your problems are with the update, but rather some other circumstance (perhaps settings?, power issues? etc...)

good luck,
DavesView 1.20
· 
·  2 likes
John Sims:
Hi Dave,
I suggest that you check ALL setting on the ASIAir. Go to each device, and check ALL settings (including "advanced", etc... which will expose additional settings). On an earlier night out I did this and found a couple of settings that were not as I had left them (likely due to update).
- Guiding with Darks was turned off. I do occasionally update the darks library (for guiding) and leave this set to "ON". I have no idea how this might have been changed, except due to update.
- The mount was set to "ST4", which I never use. I reset to AM5/AM3.
- perhaps another as well.
I actually doubt your problems are with the update, but rather some other circumstance (perhaps settings?, power issues? etc...)

good luck,

Thanks John! Yes. Went through all the settings. Everything worked before the upgrade. After the upgrade I had the issues described. I reset it and went back to a previous load. Now everything works like it used to. Hmmm! Also, ZWO's chat board is full of people with problems associated with the upgrade.
johnrsims43 0.90
· 
·  2 likes
DavesView:
Thanks John! Yes. Went through all the settings. Everything worked before the upgrade. After the upgrade I had the issues described. I reset it and went back to a previous load. Now everything works like it used to. Hmmm! Also, ZWO's chat board is full of people with problems associated with the upgrade.

Hi Dave,
Well, i guess I should not have doubted you:-)
There are several folks on this thread that have no problems with the new version, so it must not simply be the "new version", but must also involve something unique to your configuration. At least that would be my guess.
Hope you get it sorted.
jfgildepareja 0.00
· 
·  1 like
After a couple of days of guiding and plate solving issues, everything goes now even better than before the update. In the last 2 sessions I have better guiding performance and faster plate solving than with the previous firmware. I have not downgrade the firmware. Perhaps my problems were secondary to bad seeing. It is the only explanation I can find out. I hope you all solve yours.

Register or login to create to post a reply.