Dark Filter for Making Darks, Making Flats Remotely [Deep Sky] Acquisition techniques · Jerry Gerber · ... · 1 · 112 · 0

jsg 8.77
· 
Hello!

I am considering putting a telescope in a remote hosting site.   I am thinking about many details, including how to make darks and flats.  I could get a Moravian camera that has a mechanical shutter, but it has the same sensor as the ASI6200 which is about $2000 less and has an electronic shutter.  

Has anyone used a dark filter (opaque to make darks) in a filter wheel?  Does it work well or are there light leaks?

As far as flats, I'm not sure the scope I'd put there, an Askar 151PHQ, has a dew shield that can handle an automated LED panel that opens and closes in front of the dew shield.  I'm hoping the remote side has a flats panel on the wall that I could use.

Jerry
Supro 3.81
· 
Hi Jerry, there's loads of good advice on here, but i've been prepping for this myself. I'm going with a TOA-130, asi6200mm, and have been using the deepskydad Flat panel with for a bit now. It does flats as well as anything I've used (sky, giotto, amazon led panel)

I haven't tried darks with it, but I suspect if you do those on a night when the roof is closed for whatever reason and the flat panel closed, that should have leakage. (could be wrong though)

Register or login to create to post a reply.