Dark Filter for Making Darks, Making Flats Remotely [Deep Sky] Acquisition techniques · Jerry Gerber · ... · 3 · 173 · 0

jsg 8.83
· 
Hello!

I am considering putting a telescope in a remote hosting site.   I am thinking about many details, including how to make darks and flats.  I could get a Moravian camera that has a mechanical shutter, but it has the same sensor as the ASI6200 which is about $2000 less and has an electronic shutter.  

Has anyone used a dark filter (opaque to make darks) in a filter wheel?  Does it work well or are there light leaks?

As far as flats, I'm not sure the scope I'd put there, an Askar 151PHQ, has a dew shield that can handle an automated LED panel that opens and closes in front of the dew shield.  I'm hoping the remote side has a flats panel on the wall that I could use.

Jerry
Supro 3.81
· 
Hi Jerry, there's loads of good advice on here, but i've been prepping for this myself. I'm going with a TOA-130, asi6200mm, and have been using the deepskydad Flat panel with for a bit now. It does flats as well as anything I've used (sky, giotto, amazon led panel)

I haven't tried darks with it, but I suspect if you do those on a night when the roof is closed for whatever reason and the flat panel closed, that should have leakage. (could be wrong though)
frankz 3.01
· 
I have a "dark filter”. It does work for taking flats at night, but in broad daylight my ZWO EFW leaks enough light to be visible in the darks. In other words, the limiting factor is not the filter (which is a piece of aluminum, so perfectly opaque), but the rest of the hardware.
jhayes_tucson 22.61
· 
My camera doesn’t have a shutter and I don’t have enough slots in my filter wheel for a blocking filter so I use the SIi filter to take darks.  I usually wait for a cloudy night when the roof is closed to take dark data and it works well.  My two current scopes have mirror covers and that’s even better.  A shutter is the best solution but you still have to take dark data at night so a shutter isn’t at all essential.

John

Register or login to create to post a reply.