SVX080T-3SV with the Starizona Apex ED .65 reducer?? Stellarvue SVX080T-3SV · MikeY_Astro · ... · 8 · 192 · 0

Mikey_G 0.90
· 
I have a SVX080T-3SV on order, and I'm wanting to use it with the Starizona Apex ED .65 reducer. Is anyone using this combination? If so, what are your thoughts on it and do you like it?

Thank you.
Starship 0.00
· 
·  1 like
I have that combination and I do like it. I think it works well with 4/3 sensors but one does start to see corner aberrations with larger sensors. You can see some of my images in my gallery. Best, Glenn
Mikey_G 0.90
· 
·  1 like
Thanks Glenn - I'll take a look at your postings! I would be using it with the ASI2600, so might not be the best of fits..
Starship 0.00
· 
·  1 like
I’m planning to use it with the same chip (QHY268M) during the summer. That reducer makes the scope quite fast at f/3.9. I’m thinking the corners might look decent enough when corrected with BlurXTerminator. We’ll see. 

Best,

Glenn
Mikey_G 0.90
· 
Yeah, I was liking the speed and FL it would provide. Forgot about BXT! It might well be able to correct the corners if its not too bad.
AnthonyQ 3.61
· 
·  2 likes
I have that combo and it works well with an APS-C sensor, but you really need to fine tune the backspacing carefully. Fractions of a millimeter seems to make a difference. Being able to shoot at at F/3.9 with the Stellarvue astrograph is a pretty sweet option.

I've only shot one image with it. I have several scopes and I tend to gather a lot of data so I just haven't had an opportunity to come back to that combo again yet.

Here's the image: https://www.astrobin.com/h4t1r8/H/

This was shot before I really dialed in the backspacing, and I did use BlurXTerminator on it which helped the stars in the corners quite a bit. I am still not 100% happy with the stars in this image, so I may revisit the processing on it at some point.

I highly recommend anything from Starizona, and especially this reducer.
Mikey_G 0.90
· 
·  2 likes
Anthony Quintile:
I have that combo and it works well with an APS-C sensor, but you really need to fine tune the backspacing carefully. Fractions of a millimeter seems to make a difference. Being able to shoot at at F/3.9 with the Stellarvue astrograph is a pretty sweet option.

I've only shot one image with it. I have several scopes and I tend to gather a lot of data so I just haven't had an opportunity to come back to that combo again yet.

This was shot before I really dialed in the backspacing, and I did use BlurXTerminator on it which helped the stars in the corners quite a bit. I am still not 100% happy with the stars in this image, so I may revisit the processing on it at some point.

That turned out quite nice! OK, I'm sold.... I don't mind cropping out a bit if I HAVE to, but looking at your image, I'm game to get the reducer. Imaging and processing wise, I'm nowhere near your or Glenn's level so I'll likely be happy! Thank you!
AnthonyQ 3.61
· 
·  2 likes
MikeY_Astro:
Anthony Quintile:

That turned out quite nice! OK, I'm sold.... I don't mind cropping out a bit if I HAVE to, but looking at your image, I'm game to get the reducer. Imaging and processing wise, I'm nowhere near your or Glenn's level so I'll likely be happy! Thank you!

Thanks @MikeY_Astro ! You'll love that reducer but, like I said, spend some time dialing in the backfocus. I have found good luck just making sure the math on my spacers adds up, but it can never hurt to confirm star shapes in the corners and add or subtract a shim to see if they improve.
Mikey_G 0.90
· 
·  2 likes
Anthony Quintile:
MikeY_Astro:
Anthony Quintile:

Thanks @MikeY_Astro ! You'll love that reducer but, like I said, spend some time dialing in the backfocus. I have found good luck just making sure the math on my spacers adds up, but it can never hurt to confirm star shapes in the corners and add or subtract a shim to see if they improve.

Thanks for the tip Anthony. I've yet to receive the scope, about a month out I believe, but just ordered the reducer (stock has a habit of disappearing). I'll definitely do my best with the backfocus.

Register or login to create to post a reply.