Problems using the ASCOM driver ZWO ASI2600MC Pro · Stuart Taylor · ... · 19 · 442 · 2

StuartT 4.69
· 
I can't use the ZWO driver with NINA so I have to use the ASCOM driver. But whenever I do, most of the images won't download after the exposure finishes. NINA just times out. I have reduced the USB limit down to the lowest setting in the ASCOM driver (40) but I still get endless timeouts. 

ANyone else have this problem?
andreatax 7.90
· 
·  1 like
Stuart,

The subject is missing. What camera are you talking about?
umasscrew39 12.64
· 
·  1 like
And why can't you use the ZWO driver in NINA?  I use the ZWO driver with the ASI2600 and 6200, and in the past with the 294 and 533 with no issues in NINA.
StuartT 4.69
· 
andrea tasselli:
Stuart,

This is in the ASI2600MC Pro equip forum isn't it? At least that's where it's supposed to be
Bruce Donzanti:
And why can't you use the ZWO driver in NINA?  I use the ZWO driver with the ASI2600 and 6200, and in the past with the 294 and 533 with no issues in NINA.

No idea. It just doesn't show up in NINA to be selected. So I have to use the ASCOM driver for the camera. Which is very problematic. I've only managed to download 6 exposures in the last 2.5 hours!
jonnybravo0311 7.83
· 
·  1 like
Silly question, but are you sure you've got the latest ZWO driver package installed on the computer? NINA shows two sections in the camera dropdown for me: ZWOptical and ASCOM. Under the ZWOptical I see my cameras listed and under ASCOM I see ASI Camera (1) and (2).

Some more questions: have you tried changing cables and/or USB ports to which the camera is connected? Happen to have another computer anywhere to which you could try connecting the camera to see if the problem persists? Tried using some other software like ASI Studio, SharpCap, etc?
StuartT 4.69
· 
Jonny Bravo:
Silly question, but are you sure you've got the latest ZWO driver package installed on the computer? NINA shows two sections in the camera dropdown for me: ZWOptical and ASCOM. Under the ZWOptical I see my cameras listed and under ASCOM I see ASI Camera (1) and (2).

Some more questions: have you tried changing cables and/or USB ports to which the camera is connected? Happen to have another computer anywhere to which you could try connecting the camera to see if the problem persists? Tried using some other software like ASI Studio, SharpCap, etc?

Thanks. Not a silly question.

Yep. All my drivers are brand new. The ZWO drivers don't show in the dropdown, only ASCOM(1) and (2). I have tried plugging, unplugging, different ways of connecting. I've posted on the NINA discord, on the PHD2 google group. In fact, I think I have tried virtually every possible combination of things in every possible order.

The ASCOM driver should work, but it times out almost every time. I've tried setting USB limit high, I've tried setting it low. 

This has been going on for weeks now. I've tried to fix it in the daytime and at night.

It's all unbelievably frustrating and serves to underline just how complex a hobby I've chosen. There are just so many things to go wrong.

The great irony tonight is that my guiding is actually nice (usually this is my biggest issue). Just can't do any imaging!!Capture.JPG
Edited ...
umasscrew39 12.64
· 
·  1 like
Stuart Taylor:
andrea tasselli:
Stuart,

This is in the ASI2600MC Pro equip forum isn't it? At least that's where it's supposed to be
Bruce Donzanti:

No idea. It just doesn't show up in NINA to be selected. So I have to use the ASCOM driver for the camera. Which is very problematic. I've only managed to download 6 exposures in the last 2.5 hours!

Correct- it is the 2600MC forum.

hmmm....very odd.  Make sure you have the latest version of NINA 2.1- while that should not matter, just make sure you are using it and the latest ZWO drivers as mentioned by johnny Bravo.  The USB limit at 40 works fine where you have it set.
jonnybravo0311 7.83
· 
·  1 like
Stuart Taylor:
The ZWO drivers don't show in the dropdown, only ASCOM(1) and (2).

Hmmm... that sounds like the ZWO drivers aren't properly installed. Do you have ASI Studio? Can it see the camera connected?
andreatax 7.90
· 
·  1 like
It could be a cable thing. It happens from ti to time with NINA and other cameras too, although I'm using a native driver all the times. I twist the cable (ASI) the other side around or replace with a round one and works again.
Edited ...
StuartT 4.69
· 
Jonny Bravo:
Stuart Taylor:
The ZWO drivers don't show in the dropdown, only ASCOM(1) and (2).

Hmmm... that sounds like the ZWO drivers aren't properly installed. Do you have ASI Studio? Can it see the camera connected?

I do have that app yes. But I am not sure where to look for camera connections. Windows dev man clearly shows both are connected.

EDIT I opened the deep sky imaging part of ASI studio and it clearly shows both cameras

Capture.JPG
Edited ...
andreatax 7.90
· 
·  1 like
If you pop up the ASI studio app you should see the listed installed cameras on the upper right corner
StuartT 4.69
· 
andrea tasselli:
If you pop up the ASI studio app you should see the listed installed cameras on the upper right corner

Both seem to be connected fine
CCDnOES 5.61
· 
·  1 like
It could indeed be a cable issue, or more accurately a USB issue. I found with my 2600 that it would do that randomly unless the USB 3 cable went direct from the PC to the camera. A hub messed things up much as you describe, random locked up downloads. Eliminate hubs and try a different cable.
andreatax 7.90
· 
·  1 like
Then your drivers are just fine. I second the cable thing issue, which seems likely with the flat ASI cable, if it is this you're using...
umasscrew39 12.64
· 
·  1 like
For the heck of it, uninstall and then reinstall NINA.  If that does not let the ZWO driver become visible on the NINA camera drop down screen, I highly suggest you list your question on Discord where a lot of us get help from my NINA contributors.  It may not be a NINA thing, but lots of experienced folks there as well  to help.
andreatax 7.90
· 
·  1 like
While using NINA should be the preferred thing you can still use ASI studio app and PHD2 to keep imaging, same as I do here. Frustrating I know, but as suggest the NINA discord is your first port of call.
StuartT 4.69
· 
thanks all. I have given up for tonight. Been at this about 5 h now and sometimes you just have to admit defeat.

It could be a cable issue, but I replaced the flat ZWO cables with v high quality, high speed ones. Neither seems to work. Maybe it's the extreme cold tonight and frost forming on my rig?

I do regularly post in the NINA discord (I did tonight and @Linwood tried to help, but I think they are all prob getting a bit tired of me. It's easy to outstay your welcome when things keep going wrong.

I did manage to get 7 nice subs. But the meridian flip didn't complete because of course AF and platesolve couldn't run.

Andrea - thanks for suggesting the ASI imaging app as a backup to NINA. I'd never opened ASI studio before tonight! Never needed it (at least, that's what I thought)
Edited ...
jonnybravo0311 7.83
· 
·  1 like
OK... so since the ASI Imaging app can recognize and connect to the camera, it doesn't appear to be a driver problem. Try a complete/clean wipe and re-install of NINA. Also, make sure you've got the latest .NET platform installed (upcoming NINA 3.0 requires v7.0). Not that you need v7 for the current version of NINA, but I don't think it would hurt (I'm currently using .NET v7.0.1 with NINA 2.1 HF1 Beta 0003).

Wish I could be of more help... hate to see it when people burn hours trying to solve for a problem instead of collecting photons.
StuartT 4.69
· 
·  1 like
Jonny Bravo:
OK... so since the ASI Imaging app can recognize and connect to the camera, it doesn't appear to be a driver problem. Try a complete/clean wipe and re-install of NINA. Also, make sure you've got the latest .NET platform installed (upcoming NINA 3.0 requires v7.0). Not that you need v7 for the current version of NINA, but I don't think it would hurt (I'm currently using .NET v7.0.1 with NINA 2.1 HF1 Beta 0003).

Wish I could be of more help... hate to see it when people burn hours trying to solve for a problem instead of collecting photons.

Thanks for these suggestions and also for your kind words. I'll do as you suggest (though I might keep my layouts and profile files for NINA somewhere as those are time consuming to re-create. Unless you think that would be a mistake?
jonnybravo0311 7.83
· 
·  1 like
Stuart Taylor:
Jonny Bravo:

Thanks for these suggestions and also for your kind words. I'll do as you suggest (though I might keep my layouts and profile files for NINA somewhere as those are time consuming to re-create. Unless you think that would be a mistake?

Definitely keep your layouts/profiles around. I'd rename the directories, just so that when you install NINA again, it's a completely clean install. Use the default layout/etc to test the connectivity. If it works, then try putting your profiles/layouts back and test again. These can all be done during the day, so no need to waste those precious night skies .

Register or login to create to post a reply.