SHO type processing with OSC using dual narrowband filters in photoshop? Processed with Photoshop · Itto Ogami · ... · 6 · 152 · 0

Itto-Ogami 2.41
· 
·  1 like
Has anyone figured out a way to do SHO type processing with OSC using dual narrowband filters in Photoshop? I see a lot of images being posted now with OSC cameras and dual narrowband filters like the L-extreme etc. doing a simulated SHO type color scheme using pixinsight. I have messaged the imagers I have seen using this technique and they all provide videos and information to do this in Pixnsight. Anyone able to do this in photoshop?
Pogo 0.00
· 
Hi,

yes, I do it all the time. What you need is three different color channels. So yo have to split channels from your color data. I don’t know if you use a stacking program, but those usually have an option to do that optimally. I use Astropixelprocessor to do it. It can extract O3 and  Ha and it can also create a mono file that contains all the data. That is what I use as my three channels in PS. I create a layer stack of those files and put them each in their own folder. Change the mode of the stack to rgb color and do not flatten. Now you can assign a color to each of the layers, either with a hue saturation layer, or easier, go to layer styles and tick the proper color per layer. You can experience with different combinations but I usually use blue for O3 green for the Mono file and red for Ha. That usually gets me pretty close if the channels are properly balanced and have about the same brightness. You can put a levels and or curves layer in each folder to properly balance if they are not, and you will see the color balance change. If you do not get it right, you can use a color balance layer on top of the stack or channel mixer and tweak further. I also use the mono file as my luminance layer. On YouTube you can check out Graig Stark of Utah desert observatory. He has some excellent tutorials. He uses mono data, but the idea is exactly the same.

Cheers,

Peter
Itto-Ogami 2.41
· 
Peter Horstink:
Hi,

yes, I do it all the time. What you need is three different color channels. So yo have to split channels from your color data. I don’t know if you use a stacking program, but those usually have an option to do that optimally. I use Astropixelprocessor to do it. It can extract O3 and  Ha and it can also create a mono file that contains all the data. That is what I use as my three channels in PS. I create a layer stack of those files and put them each in their own folder. Change the mode of the stack to rgb color and do not flatten. Now you can assign a color to each of the layers, either with a hue saturation layer, or easier, go to layer styles and tick the proper color per layer. You can experience with different combinations but I usually use blue for O3 green for the Mono file and red for Ha. That usually gets me pretty close if the channels are properly balanced and have about the same brightness. You can put a levels and or curves layer in each folder to properly balance if they are not, and you will see the color balance change. If you do not get it right, you can use a color balance layer on top of the stack or channel mixer and tweak further. I also use the mono file as my luminance layer. On YouTube you can check out Graig Stark of Utah desert observatory. He has some excellent tutorials. He uses mono data, but the idea is exactly the same.

Cheers,

Peter

Pete, Thanks so much for the reply! I have looked at your gallery and I dont see any OSC images that use this technique. Do you have any examples? I would love to see them. Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Itto (Jim)
Pogo 0.00
· 
Hi Jim,

yes there are a few, like the North American nebula, Pac-Man, the trunk and few others I think. My ZWO 2600mc pro was used for those.

Peter
Itto-Ogami 2.41
· 
Thanks so much. You have a link i can check out? I see the videos from him but none that seem to address this technique
Peter Horstink:
Hi,

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks so much. You have a link i can check out? I see the videos from him but none that seem to address this technique. I appreciate your help
Pogo 0.00
· 
https://youtu.be/0X5NmPvSuIo

This will give a great idea of his workflow, it is very efficient. It does not go into creating the channels. You need to use another software for that, although you can also split your channels in Photoshop. The astrosoftware for stacking can do that directly for you though.

Peter
Nicla.Camerin_Maurizio.Camerin 6.63
· 
Hi Jim, I first do an extraction of Ha  and OIII data in Siril.  That program have a script for to do it very straightforward and then convert those fit files in tiff.  Then in Ps you call those files and  combine them for the third color channel in the percentage you want.  Having the layers in position, layer up Ha=S=R / layer middle Ha%+OIII% =G / layer bottom OIII=B
Then when you click in the square  layer, pop up a window 'Layer style' and in 'Advance Blending' click the Red channel for the Ha=S, uncheck the other two, then for the G you click it and uncheck R and B and for the bottom layer uncheck the R and G and check the B.  In blending the first and second layer put lighten I think but I think Ps do it alredy and show you the SHO image directly.

You can adjust after better the color in CamRaw in HSL adjustment - Hue the SHO to bring more out the colors.

This is one way, the other way is assign with the tool  Hue/Saturation a color on click colorize in each layer Ha, Ha-OIII, OIII.

Other method is once you have the 3 files apart, create a new file and copy paste each file in each channels directly.

in this YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9EUcllUGontbyH9XgyGLA/videos she shows several easy ways to combine the files in PS for create SHO palette or even you can combine for do HOO etc.
Hope this help you
CS,
Nicla

Register or login to create to post a reply.