GeneralizedHyperbolicStretch Precess Module for PixInsight GHS Made a Substantial Difference · Mike Cranfield · ... · 6 · 257 · 0

mike1485 23.42
· 
·  4 likes
Dear fellow astrophotographers

Since our first release of the Generalised Hyperbolic Stretch script, there has been a huge uptake in its use, due to the control and flexibility provided by the unique equations and methodology. We are grateful for the interest shown and the constructive feedback we have received.

We are now pleased to offer the GHS process module for PixInsight. This brings the benefits of the GHS equations, offered by the script, and integrates fully into the PixInsight environment, including the real-time preview and the readout functionality, as well as taking advantage of the performance improvements possible with compiled multi-threaded code.

Like the script, we are providing the new process free of charge. To obtain the GHS process module you only need to have the current ghsastro repository in your managed repositories list – the address is: https://www.ghsastro.co.uk/updates/.

Once downloaded, the GHS process will also be available as an External Scriptable Object making it easy to incorporate into your own PixInsight scripts. Full updated documentation is available from within the module, describing its features and use.

We will continue to make the script available for download from the same repository address. The script has been modified to take advantage of the new process where possible/available.

As ever, we welcome all comments and feedback.

Clear skies and happy stretching!

Mike Cranfield and Dave Payne
Edited ...
Gunshy61 10.10
· 
·  2 likes
Mike Cranfield:
Dear fellow astrophotographers

Since our first release of the Generalised Hyperbolic Stretch script, there has been a huge uptake in its use, due to the control and flexibility provided by the unique equations and methodology. We are grateful for the interest shown and the constructive feedback we have received.

We are now pleased to offer the GHS process module for PixInsight. This brings the benefits of the GHS equations, offered by the script, and integrates fully into the PixInsight environment, including the real-time preview and the readout functionality, as well as taking advantage of the performance improvements possible with compiled multi-threaded code.

Like the script, we are providing the new process free of charge. To obtain the GHS process module you only need to have the current ghsastro repository in your managed repositories list – the address is: https://www.ghsastro.co.uk/updates/.

Once downloaded, the GHS process will also be available as an External Scriptable Object making it easy to incorporate into your own PixInsight scripts. Full updated documentation is available from within the module, describing its features and use.

We will continue to make the script available for download from the same repository address. The script has been modified to take advantage of the new process where possible/available.

As ever, we welcome all comments and feedback.

Clear skies and happy stretching!

Mike Cranfield and Dave Payne

Folks,

Mike did all the work in porting this over to a compiled process - Mike just used me as a guinea pig, but am I ever glad he did.   As a process,  I essentially keep GHS open all the time now - monitoring the histogram and often tweaking the stretch ( for example after HDRMT, or after LRGB combination, or after adding back in the stars, etc. etc.).    Thanks so much Mike for all your work.   I am loving the process/module version - its hyperbolically good.

C.S.

Dave
StuartT 4.69
· 
·  1 like
This is great news! Thanks.

I only ever use GHS now. (I don't know if I am using it properly to be honest, but I am getting nice results). If there are are any good/new videos on the best use of GHS please let us know.
Gunshy61 10.10
· 
·  1 like
Thanks Stuart.  If it is giving you God results then...  The fine adjust slider is great for tuning and testing your inputs.
CS,
Dave
StuartT 4.69
· 
·  1 like
Ok, I have this listed in my managed repositories but I am not seeing it as a process under the process menu. Still only as a script.

Or maybe I have misunderstood?

EDIT: sorry. Ignore me. I figured out what to do. You have to open it as a script, then it gives you instructions on how to add it to the processes menu.
Edited ...
StuartT 4.69
· 
·  2 likes
David Payne:
Thanks Stuart.  If it is giving you God results then...  The fine adjust slider is great for tuning and testing your inputs.
CS,
Dave

I like the fine adjust slider. Very handy!
Gunshy61 10.10
· 
·  2 likes
Me too! (Mike's idea)
Dave

Register or login to create to post a reply.