RCC Newby looking for advice on my IC63 Requests for constructive critique · Ed Litoborski · ... · 10 · 575 · 1

Edski 2.81
· 
https://astrob.in/qidc88/0/

Taken with WO GT71, Optolong L Extreme, ASI533MC Pro, Asiair Pro, ASI EAF, Skywatcher ERQ6R pro, processed in PixInsight and star spikes added by Affinity + star spikes pro 4  (about 75 lights at 300 sec's) bortle 5-6 sky (driveway) less than a year imaging.   I think that's it

star spikes to big or too many?  need more imaging time to bring out more detail?  improved or missing processing steps? 

Let me know your thoughts.  

Clear Skies
Ed
andreatax 7.90
· 
·  1 like
Apart from the poor flat field (very poor), the exceedingly large spikes (magenta?) and the poor star colours how on earth did you manage to get the main emssion nebula yellow? I mean, you get red (from H-a) and blue+green (from OIII) you should go for a HOO composition.
SeaLint 1.20
· 
·  4 likes
andrea tasselli:
Apart from the poor flat field (very poor), the exceedingly large spikes (magenta?) and the poor star colours how on earth did you manage to get the main emssion nebula yellow? I mean, you get red (from H-a) and blue+green (from OIII) you should go for a HOO composition.

That's a bit rough...
SeaLint 1.20
· 
·  1 like
To help with star colors and the yellow nebulosity perform a PCC after background extraction. I would then use the EZ Processing suite for a soft stretch, and starxterminator or starnetv2 to remove stars and work on the nebula separately. I'm not a fan of the spikes (but to each their own). Try using lukomaticos (https://youtu.be/p_N4J-lPTOM) video and see what type of results you get. If you want hoo, you can split rgb channels and use  pixel math to combine 0.5r+0.5b channels and assign both to G and B channel in LRGB combination.

To help with the flat field, pick up some color coordinated spacers from agena to get back spacing correct. $20, but the colors make their use very easy. 
https://agenaastro.com/astrodymium-color-coded-fine-adjustment-spacer-rings-for-m42-threads-set-of-12.html
Edited ...
alfogator 0.00
· 
·  1 like
The first issue I would work on is the flat field correction.
You can try to remove it with DBE in PI:
place a sample in the middle of the light ring and then in the symmetries section of DBE for that sample select Axial and increase the value to get a shape that will match the one of the light ring, you can move the sample in or out to match the light ring radius. Then place a few more inside and out the ring in places where there's no light ring, with the same symmetry settings. DBE should match the doughnut gradient and remove it.
The better solution would be to fix your flat calibration to it will properly flatten the field, when you see circular light rings it means the calibration was not successful and you're either under or overcorrecting the flats. Adam Block has a few nice videos on youtube on this topic. Common problems that cause incorrect flat field calibration are:
- improperly calibrating the flat fields with bias or darkflat frames
- outdated or mismatched dark frames (wrong gain or outdated darks)
- things like light leaks while capturing the image or the calibration frames can derail the calibration process
- internal reflections from filter, adapter, etc.
It is very important to be able to properly calibrate your frames so you should invest enough time to perfect that process (took me months to be able to get reliable results).

Color is a bit subjective, so are spikes. The advice others offered are very good starting points. IC63 can be a bit tricky as it's both a reflection and emission nebula so it's not easy to reproduce its usual colors only with narrowband data, as you get from the L-extreme. You might try capturing it with a luminance filter on a moonless night, you might get better colors to start with.
Edski 2.81
· 
Thanks all for your observations,   my reducer/flattener is adjustable so last night I was able to back it off about .017.  That helped flatten the field to near perfect.

And Clint, interestingly enough i followed your process flow almost 100% on the original except image except I created a new  "blue" channel and my math used was  0.6r+0.4g.  Then recombined,  Saw that combination method on a YouTube channel for creating a Hubble palette with a OSC.   I will try your way next time and compare the 2.

Anyway, as most everyone mentions colors and spikes are subjective.  I did over do it with the spikes, but its a new toy i am learning to use with a new refractor....  Past image's were with a 6" Mak Newt so they came naturally. 

I liked the yellow version, so I did that intentionally, I though it was different than everyone else's rendition (all though I am a little color blind, so who knows what i am missing?) and I did forget to apply the "correct magenta stars" script (next time).

I've only been at AP for less than a year and only been using PixInsight since June, and still brailing my way through the whole process.

For those who provided constructive feedback on how to improve
Thank You!   It was very much appreciated and helpful.....
battleriverobservatory 6.06
· 
·  3 likes
This is not an object that is suited for Hubble palette… but that’s your choice. 

As for the star reduction, there are much better ways to do this. Looks like you used morphological transformation here multiple times each iteration further degrading the stars. It’s a tool I stopped using early on. It works alright for one or two iterations with a good starmask but it’s an inferior method. Starnet and pixel-math are something to look into To remove stars and put them back in. 

Remember the more you do to your image the further you degrade it. Some people call that art but most times it’s butchery.
Edited ...
a.erkaslan 4.88
· 
·  1 like
Ed, good start ! 

Coming back to your rendering, don't bother too much regarding the color. If you like the "yellow" approach, then so be it - it's your personal choice. 

However, as others mentioned, first and foremost, try to get the flattest field possible. As I understand, you already made some progress. Then, just follow your instinct, decide how you want to process your shot. 

Since you're still new with Pixinsight, have a look at Adam Block Studios. Believe me, Adam's explanations are straightforward, and go quite beyond the simple explanation of how to use PI ! I keep learning quite a lot from his experience ! 

Keep doing - the more you practice, the better.

Good luck and best regards.
A.
Edski 2.81
· 
·  1 like
Thanks,  best hobble I've ever been a part of.
astrodawg 3.01
· 
·  2 likes
andrea tasselli:

Wow. He was asking for help not for you to be completely belittling. That was totally uncalled for.

better yet, just exit this conversation. This kind of thing has absolutely no place here. 

wow. If I had the power to ban you from this forum, I would. You absolutely deserve it for that.

That’s not what this place is all about. If you cannot be adult enough to respond to a request for help from someone without hurling insults, then leave.
Edited ...
battleriverobservatory 6.06
· 
·  3 likes
andrea tasselli:

Wow. He was asking for help not for you to be completely belittling. That was totally uncalled for.

better yet, just exit this conversation. This kind of thing has absolutely no place here. 

wow. If I had the power to ban you from this forum, I would. You absolutely deserve it for that.

That’s not what this place is all about. If you cannot be adult enough to respond to a request for help from someone without hurling insults, then leave.

Being an adult includes taking criticism, especially when you ask for it. Criticism shouldn't have to pander or cater. Be less triggered maybe. It was harsh even by my standard but your comeback was actually worse because it came from a place of emotion. 

ox69jm2iy6741.jpg
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.