Why are the ZWO Asi2600MM more expensive than the color version? ZWO ASI1600MM Pro · Helge Büsing · ... · 4 · 417 · 0

HelgeBuesing 1.20
· 
Hello everyone,

Is it true that the only difference between color and mono cameras is that color cameras still have the color filter array (CFA) vapor deposited?

If the image sensor on color cameras is actually the same as on monochrome cameras, why are the mono versions so much more expensive?

I'm probably missing some basic information...
Alan_Brunelle
· 
I've wondered the same.  But remember that the manufacturer of these sensors are supplyinhmg far more color sensors for the consumer and professional dslr and now shutterless cameras, which means they mass produce many more color sensors than mono.

We might ask: Well so what?  Once they get to the mono sensor, just ship to ZWO, or QHY, or whoever, right?  I'll take a guess here, but I will assume that the completion of the mounting and QC testing of the mono sensor requires a retooling of their line or something like that.  There may also be specific manufacturing steps for mono, including type of sensor cover slip.  Finally, since mono itself is kind of a speciality, they likely charge more just because they can.  That goes for sensor manufacturer and for astro camera builders alike.  Mono is considered the preferable way to go in this community.  It's like asking to get punched in the mouth!
battleriverobservatory 6.06
· 
The monos cost more simply because less are sold. 

The chips are fabbed by Sony. Each sensor has its own assembly process and their own initial costs plus maintenance. If they sell 2-3x the Color as mono, (it’s probably more) then the Color line(s) is profitable sooner.  They recover this initial cost by charging more for the mono. This is something the consumer never considers simply because most people don’t know production.
Some companies will use one product to subsidize another simply to have a wider range of products and be more competitive but this is probably not the case here. Sony doesn’t have to compete for market share. 

I can’t speak for what qhy or Zwo do after this.
HelgeBuesing 1.20
· 
Alan Brunelle:
I've wondered the same.  But remember that the manufacturer of these sensors are supplyinhmg far more color sensors for the consumer and professional dslr and now shutterless cameras, which means they mass produce many more color sensors than mono.

We might ask: Well so what?  Once they get to the mono sensor, just ship to ZWO, or QHY, or whoever, right?  I'll take a guess here, but I will assume that the completion of the mounting and QC testing of the mono sensor requires a retooling of their line or something like that.  There may also be specific manufacturing steps for mono, including type of sensor cover slip.  Finally, since mono itself is kind of a speciality, they likely charge more just because they can.  That goes for sensor manufacturer and for astro camera builders alike.  Mono is considered the preferable way to go in this community.  It's like asking to get punched in the mouth!

Very interesting points. At least significantly fewer mono cameras are sold. That's maybe my fallacy if the difference was just the CFA (e.g. RGGB). There could also be additional manufacturing steps.

But if you get the maximum out of both cameras and take pictures, the monochrome camera might do a little better. I would be very interested in a comparison: two cameras, "same" sensor (1st RGB, 2nd mono) and the same conditions (exposure time, weather, seeing…).
HelgeBuesing 1.20
· 
Matthew Proulx:
The monos cost more simply because less are sold. 

The chips are fabbed by Sony. Each sensor has its own assembly process and their own initial costs plus maintenance. If they sell 2-3x the Color as mono, (it’s probably more) then the Color line(s) is profitable sooner.  They recover this initial cost by charging more for the mono. This is something the consumer never considers simply because most people don’t know production.
Some companies will use one product to subsidize another simply to have a wider range of products and be more competitive but this is probably not the case here. Sony doesn’t have to compete for market share. 

I can’t speak for what qhy or Zwo do after this.

Covering the initial costs by Sony raising the price of the mono cameras also makes a lot of sense.

I really like your idea that some companies might launch a similar product just to subsidize another one.

Register or login to create to post a reply.