Widefield dark nebulae Requests for constructive critique · Torben van Hees · ... · 2 · 120 · 1

Staring 4.40
· 
Hi,

I‘ve started imaging some dark nebulae lately and postprocessing has been a challenge. Not little of that is due to my skies, probably (Bortle 6), but I still think there‘s more going on. The areas of improvement I‘m looking for are specifically:
  • Color calibration and gradient reduction: With those dense star fields and nebulae everywhere, how do I select background for normalization and equalization? I‘m currently using the darkest parts of the image but that kills possible colors and some contrast of the dark nebulae.
  • Color balance/saturation (probably related): If I turn up saturation, I get very red images. I‘ve fixed it by applying SCNR in red with 0.25x. This, to me, seems like a crutch.
  • Contrast: I find it very difficult to control star halos (that the Epsilons tend to produce) and at the same time get good contrast in the darker parts of the image. Do I need to manually paint masks? Automatic mask creation (range, L, or color masks) haven‘t proved too successful.

My latest example:

LDN 673

What I‘ld like to get:

https://astrob.in/363cpr/0/
fluffyllama95 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Have you played around with star removal techniques? you can really focus on that nebula then add the stars back in.
Staring 4.40
· 
·  1 like
Have you played around with star removal techniques? you can really focus on that nebula then add the stars back in.

Yes. While Starnet and StarXTerminator work quite well, they do leave exactly those halos behind that make processing very challenging for these types of field (lots of stars, diffuse nebulosity, dark nebulae).

Register or login to create to post a reply.