ASI 1600 MMC HALOS ZWO ASI1600MM/QHY163M · Laurent · ... · 35 · 2206 · 2

dts350z 0.00
Baader filters worked for me (2” filter wheel)

There are are two separate problems. Some people have sensor glass problems (I don’t ). And others have the filter issue.

Zwo has “2018” filters with “reduced” halo issues but I haven’t tried those.
SparkyHT 3.01
The cause for halos and "star trumpets" are because Panasonic, in their complete lack of wisdom, did not deposit an AR coating on the cover glass of the MN34230ALJ sensor that is used in the ASI1600 line of cameras.
Edited ...
NightSkyImager 0.00
That would explain why I am not having issues but I do have to add....since this past May - I am running two identical systems - but the two ASI1600MM-C's were purchased over two years apart -  - my physics and knowledge of optics is minimal - so I have no explanation for why I am not having that issue other than I am using Astronomik filters which are nowhere in the class of Astrodon's. - they were pricey enough though.  I have added a link to those two systems - the last picture is the best view.   BTW, we have such few clear sky nights - when we do I have stuff setup in the front and back yard imaging.  At age 73 not too sure just how many good nights I have left  8)

Click on this link ...the last few pictures are the two ASI1600MM-C systems "Up" imaging stuff!
Edited ...
Starminer68 2.41
Filters problem could be resolved by changing filter, for me Astronomics Ha and Baader OIII work fine, but ZWO SII still gives halos, need to be replaced to Baader. But the problem with Panasonic matrix is a dead end, nothing we can do.
nwsorin 0.00
Love everything else about the ASI 1600, but the halos are terrible. It's the camera (lack of AR glass) not the filters. It sucks to spend 14 hrs on imaging then your image is full of stars with halos and then plenty of hrs in PI or Photoshop and still have halos. Almost wanted to sell it and switch to a more expensive but reliable CCD, but the 1600 works with some of my other scopes with focal length under 500mm. It seems that under 500mm focal length the halos are more manageable. I'm switching to a new camera with my bigger scopes. Scopes over 1000mm fl, the halos are horrible. See my images and please any feedback is welcomed.
jrista 8.59
Love everything else about the ASI 1600, but the halos are terrible. It's the camera (lack of AR glass) not the filters. It sucks to spend 14 hrs on imaging then your image is full of stars with halos and then plenty of hrs in PI or Photoshop and still have halos. Almost wanted to sell it and switch to a more expensive but reliable CCD, but the 1600 works with some of my other scopes with focal length under 500mm. It seems that under 500mm focal length the halos are more manageable. I'm switching to a new camera with my bigger scopes. Scopes over 1000mm fl, the halos are horrible. See my images and please any feedback is welcomed.

I just checked your images, as you said you had the halos all over the starfield.

From what I am seeing, your halos actually have nothing to do with the camera. It looks like they are due to both the imaging filters and the scope. I see some telltale issues that usually occur with newtonians (the flaring around the stars), as well as bright circular halos that are indicative of reflections off the color filters.

The ASI1600 microlens diffraction is a VERY SPECIFIC pattern, one with either a petaled shape, or a grid of microlens reflections (on extremely bright stars). There are some examples of it earlier in this thread, but I have not seen any evidence of the ASI1600 microlens diffraction in any of your images.

You should look into properly collimating your longer FL scopes. It looks like it is out of collimation, which could be causing the flares. The flares may also be caused by pinch due to the clips on the primary, although that is not guaranteed (you might ask around for help on that particular issue). The circular halos are reflections off the color filters, and you will probably need to get different filters to fix that. I would recommend either Astronomik (their newer filter lines, which seem to be better in the reflection department), or AstroDon or Chroma filters (which are very good in the reflection department).

But, to be very clear, I do not believe any of your star issues have to do with the ASI600. The Microlens Diffraction pattern is very, very specific, and not every reflection, flare, or halo you might get when using the ASI1600 (or the QHY163 or Atik Horizon) is caused by microlens diffraction. In your case, I definitely believe you can fix your stars so the issue disappears entirely.
NightSkyImager 0.00
Changing from the ZWO filters that I was using to Astronomik filters did solve my Halo issues.  I am very  please with my ASI1600MM-C now.
nwsorin 0.00
Mr. Rista thank you very much for taking the time to look at my images and to reply. Your reply is very helpful and full of great info. I plan on switching to the Astrodon for LRGB and 3nm OIII and 5nm for Ha/Sii. Thanks again, Sorin.
starmaniac 2.94
Hello all,

I think I'm having this problem on M45 using Highest Dynamic Range (4.96 e-/ADU) on my ASI 1600MM cooled.

You can check it here : https://www.astrobin.com/full/387880/0/ the artefact is sadely very clear !

I'm using a skywatcher ED80 with Astronomik LRGB type 2c filters, focal length is 600mm.

I will avoid targets with bright stars when using this camera next time... Thnaks for all the good informations found here. Clear sky !

Brice
bjaffa 0.00
I have a ZWO ASI1600MMPro-cool with ZWO EFW-7   36mm filter wheel using on a AstroTech 130 mm with x0.8 reducer.
I get the 2 types of reflections others have been talking about (1. HALO's and  2. micro lense reflections)
I know that I cannot do anything about the micro lense reflections on bright stars
But there was a equation that you could use to calculate the distance from the sensor where the HALO reflections where comimg
from based on the diameter of the HALO. By using the equation it shows that the reflection is coming from the back of the ZWO filters
in the filter wheel.
So will the ASTRODON 36mm unmounted filters work correctly with the ZWO EFW-7 filter wheel? I have seen comments on the ASTRODON filters .
Are they thin enough to work with the ZWO filter wheel or does there thickiness cause issues? What experience has anyone have with changing the ZWO
filters out and do they recommend a particular filter supplier for reduction of HALO's.
Also any advice on how to lessen the micro lense effect would be appreciated.

Thanks  Brent
Stargaze 1.81
·  1 like
hello guys... i noticed that some people dont know the difference between halos and microlensing.

the special patterns (not the halo) are microlensing:
Alnitak.jpg

the halos are not caused by the panasonic sensor! i hope everyone understand this now...

SO WHAT IS THE SOLLUTION?
obviously there is no sollution. this issue exists since the camera is on the market. there are so many threads about it and even ZWO does noticed this for a long time but NOBODY do a sh... and knows it for sure how it can be handled.

there will be only these "sollutions":

-when you know somebody who can change the sensorglas into an ar coated glas without destroying the sensor, then do it.
-avoid bright stars or long exposures on middle bright stars
-learn how to handle it with post process
-have luck with different scopes, filters, f-ratios, focal lengths (maybe report it when succsesful)
-buy new cam

i have the same microlense issues too and im tired of reading hundreds of threads of it without a realistic sollution.
i also find it weak from zwo that there is no real support for the guys who spend 1500 bugs on a cam wich cant make exposures of bright stars. im struggling and thinking about to sell it or live with it. dont know. hope it helps
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.