Best Electronic Focuser for Feather Touch 3.5" Focuser Starlight Instruments, LLC FTF3545B-A—Feather Touch 3.5" · Jerry Gerber · ... · 11 · 388 · 0

jsg 8.77
· 
Hello,

I'm about to purchase the Stellarvue SVX 140T refractor with a Feather Touch 3.5" focuser.

Might anyone know the best electronic focuser for this gear?  I'll be imaging remotely only in a permanent observatory. 
I know the ZWO EAF might work, but the bracket is machined for a flat, rather than a curved surface, so it's not ideal.

I can spend up to $500 or $600 for an electronic focuser and it must be able to be controlled through ASCOM/Windows.

Thanks!
Jerry
HegAstro 11.99
· 
I'd recommend the ones made by Optec which are used with three Feathertouch focusers I have on three scopes.
jsg 8.77
· 
Thanks Arun, that's exactly what I am going to get.
Reg_00 8.52
· 
·  1 like
I pair my FT with the Sesto Senso 2 and its been amazing. Zero backlash. Another option for you.
Edited ...
scott1 5.29
· 
I use the MicroTouch autofocuser by Starizona with a Microtouch motor on my TEC160FL with the Feather touch 3.5 focuser for years with no problems.
CCDnOES 5.61
· 
·  1 like
The Optec systems are very reliable. I have used them on a Tak 130, an FSQ 106, and currently on a Stellarvue SVQ 100. Nowadays there are two styles, the original that uses an external control box and a standalone USB motor. I prefer the box since it allows two scopes to connect. for futureproofing.
Rowan.Prangley 0.00
· 
Hi Jerry,

Starlight Instruments make a PDMS focuser for Feather Touch 3.5". It's very sturdy and rated for higher payload weight.

Worth checking out! Though, lead times will be applicable.

If you imaging train is lighter in weight, than Optec or even Starlight Instruments FSM series (which are made by Optec) are excellent.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Rowan
jsg 8.77
· 
·  1 like
Thanks everyone for sharing your experience with me!

I ended up purchasing the PrimaLuce Sesto Senso 2 and the 37mm adapter for the Feather Touch 3.5" focuser. 

Jerry
Overcast_Observatory 20.43
· 
I'm using the optec ft40 focusers with and without the integrated controller. 

The only thing that you should be aware of, is that over time I've had the gears disengage.   You twist the body of the focuser to disengage, which is convenient when you want to rack the focuser manually but this can be a problem in a remote setting. You may want to tape it so it can't work itself loose.
tdinneen 0.00
· 
+1 for Sesto Senso 2. Solid fit. Much better than EAF which doesn’t fit all that well because of the curved bottom and lack of mounting holes for the bracket. Optec would undoubtedly work great as well. With the FT you want a motor that clamps onto the focuser rather than via a bracket. In my opinion.
Edited ...
MalcolmPark 0.00
· 
Jerry Gerber:
Hello,

I'm about to purchase the Stellarvue SVX 140T refractor with a Feather Touch 3.5" focuser.

Might anyone know the best electronic focuser for this gear?  I'll be imaging remotely only in a permanent observatory. 
I know the ZWO EAF might work, but the bracket is machined for a flat, rather than a curved surface, so it's not ideal.

I can spend up to $500 or $600 for an electronic focuser and it must be able to be controlled through ASCOM/Windows.

Thanks!
Jerry

Starlight Instruments Posi-Drive Motor System - I have it paired with my Feather Touch and TEC140
Edited ...
noldi20 0.00
· 
Jerry Gerber:
Hello,

Thanks!
Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I'm using an Optec QuickSync FTX30 on my Tak TSA120 with 3.5" Feather Touch focuser. Works precise in a wide temperature range. It's controlled with linux and INDI driver. A nice feature is that it can be disengaged and used manually vor visual observation, but for only remote usage I would fix it.

Best regards
Ernst
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.