Upload uncompressed source (XISF/FITS/PSD/TIFF) question AstroBin Platform open discussions community forum · Alan Brunelle · ... · 5 · 109 · 0

Alan_Brunelle
· 
I know that I could have posted this to the support link, but I thought there might be some more general interest and feedback to my simple questions.

First, for the technical questions:  As a test, I uploaded an uncompressed final XISF file to one of my image pages through the link and it worked just fine, as far as uploading.  But it is not clear where the file went or where it resides and how to access it.  I assume that there is a means to recovering the file?  I also assume that through my opening the home page for the image that AB cannot display this XISF file?  Bottom line, how are those files managed under my account? 

I am not sure why I would download all my large files for each image I have in my portfolio, but I would be interested in hearing what people use this service for.  Is the intent really for us to store these enormous files and can the AB servers handle that amount of information?  If not, then what is the purpose for this feature?

Thanks ahead of time!
Alan
JimMorse 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Alan,

‘’I think common practice is to only upload final images into Astrobin.  Much easier to manage your raw data in your own system (backed up, of course, onto a second SSD or cloud source such as Dropbox).  

the only files that can be displayed publicly are JPG/PNG/GIF/TIFF files.  

Other than another place to store raw data, you won’t get much by uploading your other formats.

Jim
Alan_Brunelle
· 
Jim Morse:
Alan,

‘’I think common practice is to only upload final images into Astrobin.  Much easier to manage your raw data in your own system (backed up, of course, onto a second SSD or cloud source such as Dropbox).

And yet, the function to upload other formats is there...  And apparently no size restrictions.  I just uploaded a 1.3 GB file.  

I remember when Salvatore announced this feature, but I do not recall the stated reason for it.  I do remember that viewing such files was not the point.  And the files are not available to the public. There also did not appear to be an issue for him regarding available space on his server to accommodate everyone who might use this.

In another forum post, he said one user could use this as a means to keep high res images away from those who might steal them.  But offered no other reasons and no statement as to the limits. 

I got the feeling it was as a form of cloud storage.  That would make sense and if so, I might just use it if it is efficient.  I want to hear from those who use it as to how they use it and how or where on their home page they access the files.
siovene
· 
Alan Brunelle:
I remember when Salvatore announced this feature, but I do not recall the stated reason for it.  I do remember that viewing such files was not the point.  And the files are not available to the public. There also did not appear to be an issue for him regarding available space on his server to accommodate everyone who might use this.

The reason is just for you to store your final edit (in raw uncompressed format, such as a XISF or a PS2 file) on AstroBin as an additional form of backup.

It's not supposed to be shared with other people but you see a link on your image's page (only you see it) to download the file again if you need it.
Alan_Brunelle
· 
Salvatore Iovene:
Alan Brunelle:

The reason is just for you to store your final edit (in raw uncompressed format, such as a XISF or a PS2 file) on AstroBin as an additional form of backup.

It's not supposed to be shared with other people but you see a link on your image's page (only you see it) to download the file again if you need it.

Salvatore,

Thanks for your answer.  That is what I thought.  I hadn't noticed the link that was created for the feature and actually confused it with the other link (Download original file), which serves another purpose.  Thanks for this feature.  I think I will take advantage of it and put my final uncompressed images for each AB published image here as a concise means for location, should anyone (such as family) ever inherit this site and could use access to the full res image.  Better have such data close to the image posted.  Now, my next decision will be to adopt the most portable data format to save these data.

Even though this is a controversial topic, I am still surprised how little feedback I got here.  It leaves me thinking that very few use this feature.  Yet discussions as how people save their extended data sets seems almost endless!  Certainly useful information.

A final technical question:  For the image I uploaded, I noticed that clicking the link starts the upload to my computer.  This suggests little in the way of data management capabilities with this feature.  As an example, if I want to use the feature for this one image that I have already downloaded to change from and XISF file to a FITS file, do I just repeat the process?  And do I assume that the first file is deleted and the new one supercedes the old?  Does that mean there is no way to delete an old file as a separate action?  Thought I would get an answer prior to clicking on any decisive radio buttons before making the move.  And hopefully someone else will find your response useful.

Thanks again,
Alan
Edited ...
siovene
· 
·  1 like
Alan Brunelle:
A final technical question:  For the image I uploaded, I noticed that clicking the link starts the upload to my computer.  This suggests little in the way of data management capabilities with this feature.  As an example, if I want to use the feature for this one image that I have already downloaded to change from and XISF file to a FITS file, do I just repeat the process?  And do I assume that the first file is deleted and the new one supercedes the old?  Does that mean there is no way to delete an old file as a separate action?  Thought I would get an answer prior to clicking on any decisive radio buttons before making the move.  And hopefully someone else will find your response useful.

Hi Alan,

you can associate one file to your image project. If you upload a new one, you're replacing the old. If you want to delete it completely, there's a "Remove file" button on the upload page for uncompressed source.

Register or login to create to post a reply.