What is the "Mono bin" button in my ASI air app? I'm using a color cam... ZWO ASI533MC Pro · messierman3000 · ... · 7 · 611 · 2

messierman3000 4.02
· 
when I read what it was about in my ASI app, all I think I could understand was that it converts the color pixels and groups them and turns them into 2x2 bigger but monochrome pixels...

what's this for? and why so few people talk about it?
Edited ...
bdm201170 2.11
· 
·  1 like
hi

not good basically low resolution imitation of a monochrome camera  ,Mono binning is an option for colour cameras, if selected, the color camera will ignore the information of the Bayer matrix and select the closest pixel value to merge and get a grayscale image. This will result close to the image of a monochrome sensor but it is important to remember you only get a quarter of the resolution.
HotSkyAstronomy 2.11
· 
·  1 like
Brian Diaz:
hi

not good basically low resolution imitation of a monochrome camera  ,Mono binning is an option for colour cameras, if selected, the color camera will ignore the information of the Bayer matrix and select the closest pixel value to merge and get a grayscale image. This will result close to the image of a monochrome sensor but it is important to remember you only get a quarter of the resolution.

The direct way to combat this is by drizzling 2x in that data's stack.
messierman3000 4.02
· 
·  1 like
So my color camera can be a mono camera? That is the most unordinary sounding thing I ever heard in astrophotography. 
Edited ...
bdm201170 2.11
· 
·  1 like
hi

more info about the mono bin

https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/tutorials/everything-you-need-to-know-about-astrophotography-pixel-binning-the-fundamentals/
· 
·  1 like
(deleted)
Edited ...
· 
·  1 like
(deleted)
· 
·  1 like
(deleted)
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.