I recently went back to my image from some time ago that included the asteroid Odysseus.  There were several other asteroid tracks in the image and I thought to try and identify them if possible, I hadn't done that originally.  I used TheSky6 and downloaded the MPCORB.dat database.  I wound the clock in TheSky6 back to the date and time of my image and nothing matched up.  Moving the clock around, I found that it would be another 10 days or so before Odysseus entered the field of view of the image.  Now I was very confused. 

I then tried SkyX thinking that there was a problem with Ver 6.  Same result.  I still had Sky5 so I tried that too.  I used the limited minor planet database that I had for it, and that worked just fine.  Odysseus was nicely placed in the field, but the limited database only had 5000 objects so I couldn't identify the other objects that I could see.

Now I was even more confused.  I searched my computer disk for older copies of the MPCORB.dat file and found one dated 2009, the year of my image.  That worked just fine and I used it to identify another half dozen objects in my image.

What am I doing wrong?  Is it improper to use the new MPCORB database for older images?  Do the asteroid orbits really change so much?  This is the first time that I've tried this and likely don't know what I'm doing.