Sigma lenses for portable & faint imaging Generic equipment discussions · Luka Poropat · ... · 3 · 195 · 0

This topic contains a poll.
Which one would you get ?
Sigma 135mm F/1,8 ART
Sigma 105mm F/1,4 ART
Sigma 40mm F/1,4 ART
AstroLux 7.33
· 
I want to get one of these 3 lenses for the future on a portable setup, either pair with my Canon DSLR or my Player One OSC ideally shoot wide open. I am currently using a Canon 200mm F/2,8 L II but its too close of a FOV to my Esprit 100 so im trying to get rid of it and get one of these 3.  

My current top pick is the 40mm just because its so versatile in terms of the wide focal lenght can be used for MW mosaics (https://www.astrobin.com/h4h5ws/) and untracked work in case of traveling (and overall its the sharpest of the bunch wide open), the 105 is a nice focal lenght and its big, tough to do untracked with it in case of travel (downside from other images it needs to be stopped down a stop or 2 which imo defeats the whole purpose in getting a 1,4 lens for that price if I need to stop it down to 2,8 for it to be sharp) (https://www.astrobin.com/v2noq8/?q=sigma%20105), finally the 135 is sharp (not as sharp as the 40) but a nice variation to the bunch (worst for MW untracked but could be best overall also probably needs a stop down to work best) .
andreatax 7.80
· 
·  1 like
Neither. Samynag 135mm f/2 or Nikon 105mm f/2.8 AF-Macro. Wide open, obviously. Otherwise at shorter FL my choice would be the ZEISS Milvus 50mm f/2M (The Otus is hardly affordable!)
Edited ...
JaKor4578 0.00
· 
I used to have 135 mm FE, which worked well with Canon 6D, but I could not get it working properly with ASI6200MC. The stars were quite ugly in the corners. So, I sold it and purchased Rokinon 135mm, which worked better, which is IMHO better for astro, because it's fully manual.
Later on, I found out that the back focal distance was not precise.
I also have Sigma 40 mm, which again works well with Canon 6D, but for 6200 I had to buy the distance rings and experiment with BFD.
danwatt 0.90
· 
andrea tasselli:
Neither. Samynag 135mm f/2 or Nikon 105mm f/2.8 AF-Macro. Wide open, obviously. Otherwise at shorter FL my choice would be the ZEISS Milvus 50mm f/2M (The Otus is hardly affordable!)

I have the whole Otus series and I've used many different Sigma Art lenses. For astro I don't think the Otus has any improvement over the Sigmas. Either way I'll still stop down to F2.8 unless I'm doing timelapses or untracked wide fields. 

And for the record none of these lenses are BAD at 1.4, probably acceptable for many people. It's just that 1.4 + perfect for astro is an impossible task for any lens. 

Rokinon is very good for the price, way better than they should be but the Sigma Arts and Zeiss lenses certainly have an edge. Worth it? Really depends on the photographer.

Register or login to create to post a reply.