Why are many OSC users getting the Optolong UV-IR cut? [Deep Sky] Acquisition techniques · messierman3000 · ... · 8 · 527 · 0

messierman3000 4.02
· 
I ordered a ZWO one, so I'm just a little nervous my ZWO one is not gonna be good.

I see people mostly getting the Astronomiks, the Baader, and the Optolong, and the ZWO one just seems unpopular.

Isn't the ZWO one similar to the Astronomik L2?

I wanted to use it to get rid of the annoying overpowering purple and tan colors in my reflector images to reveal only the RGB spectrum; the way it is right now is stressful and the data is not even worth processing; I might even delete my data.
messierman3000 4.02
· 
and to get rid of this annoying 3x3 artifact thing around Betelgeuse that I'm associating with ultraviolet and or infrared transmission https://www.astrobin.com/ljeaxs/?nc=collection&nce=32422

Both the star and artifact were purple, but I desaturated purple to make the image look better.
Edited ...
HotSkyAstronomy 2.11
· 
·  2 likes
Thats infrared microrefraction from the camera's CFA. Unavoidable w/o a UV/IR cut.
messierman3000 4.02
· 
V.M Legary:
Thats infrared microrefraction from the camera's CFA. Unavoidable w/o a UV/IR cut.

Thanks for the info! How would you rate the ZWO UV-IR cut?
Edited ...
HotSkyAstronomy 2.11
· 
·  2 likes
V.M Legary:

It's good, just not the best. A lot of people go to the Optolong due to it's superior coatings and glass performance. The price difference is quite visible in the images too.
AstroLux 7.33
· 
·  4 likes
V.M Legary:
V.M Legary:

It's good, just not the best. A lot of people go to the Optolong due to it's superior coatings and glass performance. The price difference is quite visible in the images too.

I would not say optolong is superior in any shape or form. Its still considered as an upper low range in terms of quality/price. It all depends also on the quality control you can always get a great zwo copy and a bad one, same with optolong which is mostly visible in their L-Extreme duonarrowband filter.
RFL 0.00
· 
·  1 like
I've used both the ZWO and the Optolong UV/IR. My ZWO created halos aplenty. So much so that assumed I had a bad copy. IMO ZWO keeps costs down by having poor QA on their filters, some are good, some bad, luck of the draw. But they are cheap and when starting out, it makes sense to buy cheap filters to lower entry barrier. Can always sell filters on CN and recoup a material portion of the original cost.

I have an Optolong on my Ha-modded DSLR I use for travel and it only generates halos on a few bright stars, like Alnitak. If you're "splurging" for Optolong over ZWO, I would spend a little more to get a Baader or Astronomiks.
AndreaMinoia 0.00
· 
·  1 like
I have one, not great, not great not terrible. SInce I use a doublet (evoguide 50ED, I found the astronomik L3 to help taming the blue/magenta halo I get with some bright stars.
jean1 1.20
· 
·  1 like
Hello.

I had several  pictures taken with Optolong Uv-ir Cut , and now I changed with Baader UV/IR-Cut / L-Filter – CMOS-optimized, and I dont see too many diference, both were used with Zwo 294MC.

Register or login to create to post a reply.