Is there a filter that enhances the blues in an OSC shot? [Deep Sky] Acquisition techniques · DavesView · ... · 14 · 309 · 3

DavesView 1.20
· 
Having trouble bringing out the blues in the target and stars. I currently use Optolong's L-eXtreme and L-Quad, or is it all in the processing? I've worked on my processing so as not to "process the stars to death" as a learned AP put it with associated assistance and that has helped greatly with the reds and yellows, but blue is still a problem for me. Using PI, Bx, Nx, Sx and Graxpert as my soft tools. APP for stacking with multi-night sessions.
Edited ...
ChasingClearSkies_ 1.81
· 
·  1 like
Try use colour masks in Pixinsight or sometimes I will select the blue when playing with curves. That's if you playing with broadband data or use a broadband filter for the stars
Edited ...
andreatax 7.76
· 
·  1 like
There is no "blue" as such in (emission) nebulae so I assume we are talking about stars. If you want them showing up, assuming they are there, you need a broadband filter, from the humble UV/IR cut to a L-Pro (or equivalent from other sources).
AlvaroMendez 2.39
· 
·  1 like
DavesView:
Having trouble bringing out the blues in the target and stars. I currently use Optolong's L-eXtreme and L-Quad, or is it all in the processing? I've worked on my processing so as not to "process the stars to death" as a learned AP put it with associated assistance and that has helped greatly with the reds and yellows, but blue is still a problem for me. Using PI, Bx, Nx, Sx and Graxpert as my soft tools. APP for stacking with multi-night sessions.

If you mean for the oxygen to be more visible, what I do (I’m also an OSC+dual band filter user) is, for emission nebulae, always use an Unlinked Stretch. Try it and you will see the difference. 😉
DavesView 1.20
· 
Abdul Thomas Jnr:
Try use colour masks in Pixinsight or sometimes I will select the blue when playing with curves. That's if you playing with broadband data or use a broadband filter for the stars

Anytime I try adjusting blue in curves, it turns everything blue. All the stars and some background too. As Andrea suggests, I'll have to shoot the stars with BB or the L Pro.
andrea tasselli:
There is no "blue" as such in (emission) nebulae so I assume we are talking about stars. If you want them showing up, assuming they are there, you need a broadband filter, from the humble UV/IR cut to a L-Pro (or equivalent from other sources).

I do have the UV/IR cut filter. Haven't used it. I used your suggestions with color calibration and ArcsinhStretch. I found that the script, SelectiveColorCorrection worked well and I was able to produce a somewhat more desirable outcome using Midtones to bring out color without affecting the background. While I'm not there yet, to me it looked a lot better. Below is the result:

M101_PinwheelGalaxy.jpg
shenmesaodongxia 0.90
· 
drizzle*2
DavesView 1.20
· 
drizzle*2

I've heard of drizzle. I see the term tossed around. What does it do and what will it fix? 

EDIT:
You sent me off on a mission to understand drizzle. Thanks! While it doesn't apply to this issue (I don't think), it is certainly worth looking in to. If I get it, increase resolution and achieve rounder stars.
Edited ...
shenmesaodongxia 0.90
· 
·  1 like
DavesView:
drizzle*2

I've heard of drizzle. I see the term tossed around. What does it do and what will it fix?

Drizzleing will fill the gap between osc's color. After drizzle, by using spcc, you can  get the better color. If you want to get a filter which can enhance blue, i suggest you to wait for antlia triband second version. I heard it will be available at the end of this month.  It adds hb. From the sample, the blue color on the IC434 and m45 look so good.
shenmesaodongxia 0.90
· 
·  2 likes
this is antlia triband filter and drizzle's result.  Drizzle is very important for osc if you use spcc31892b2783e33ee6b02b9a4006b8618.jpg
DavesView 1.20
· 
this is antlia triband filter and drizzle's result.  Drizzle is very important for osc if you use spcc

The color in those stars speak volumes. Examining that picture though, I see blue all over the background. Should it actually be there or is that a byproduct of the filter or some adjustment? I get that when I adjust blue via Curves. Also looks like some green in the background. I am looking at drizzle. Attending Youtube U. as we speak.
shenmesaodongxia 0.90
· 
·  1 like
DavesView:
this is antlia triband filter and drizzle's result.  Drizzle is very important for osc if you use spcc

The color in those stars speak volumes. Examining that picture though, I see blue all over the background. Should it actually be there or is that a byproduct of the filter or some adjustment? I get that when I adjust blue via Curves. Also looks like some green in the background. I am looking at drizzle. Attending Youtube U. as we speak.

Sorry. This image can't show star color correctly. I use a hyperstar to do this. Star is not right. I only want to show you the galaxy's color.
BryanHudson 1.20
· 
·  2 likes
DavesView:

I like using a dual narrowband filter like SVBony SV220 or L-Enhance with my ASI533MC Pro. Also use NarrowBandNormalization process in Pixinsight to work with Ha (orange/red) and Oiii (blue/green).Thor's Helmet jpg.jpg
astrowidoki 0.00
· 
Antlia Triband RGB Ultra - this filter should balance blue channel on your image quite well. It works like an enhanced UV/IR-block with Anti-LP.
Edited ...
Mintakaite 0.00
· 
·  1 like
DavesView:
I do have the UV/IR cut filter. Haven't used it. I used your suggestions with color calibration and ArcsinhStretch. I found that the script, SelectiveColorCorrection worked well and I was able to produce a somewhat more desirable outcome using Midtones to bring out color without affecting the background. While I'm not there yet, to me it looked a lot better. Below is the result:

Hey Dave, I think your image is completely fine. One way I can suggest is to inverse the image (in SIRIL its Negative Transformation) and then run SCNR removal tool. Then inverse it back. After that you can colour balance the image and blues will show up. Your histogram is quite normal. Needless to say, do that on linear stack. I tried it on jpeg you posted  (apologies for downloading it without permission) and everything seems to be fine. You do not need any filter to enhance the blues - dont think there is any filter which does that.

CS
Rajat
OnlyTheSky 0.90
· 
·  1 like
DavesView:

Hi,
i have a similar problem with my OSC camera. Compared to my DSLR, the star colors are worse in particular. I didn't get along with Siril at all. In my opinion, the process in PI is much better.

I stack the RGB UV/IR Cut Star Image with WBPP including drizzle. I then calibrate the RGB (Stars) with SPCC. After that, I raise the saturation a bit before stretching and process the image further with Arcsinh Stretch and GHS. I then separate the stars and work them into the DNB image.

With the colors in DNB, i work with color masks to edit and raise the colors separately from the overall image. This works quite well now.

I find that the colors are generally very natural after SPCC. I use the Blur X Terminator a little bit more discreetly sometimes i only correct my RGB (Stars) Image.

In my last pictures, however, I made a mistake with Multi Linear Transform and Local Contrast Equalization. I still have to revise the process and work more with masks. This has somehow ruined the stars a bit. I also think that I need to increase the integration time for the stars in my sky a bit to get more colors out. You also have to be careful with the saturation.

Furthermore, I think I also need to improve my backfocus a little bit.

I think that in general, the process for natural star colors is a long one and requires experience. A lot can go wrong at this point. Backfocus, Focus, Stacking, Calibration, Stretching, Sharpening, etc., etc....

Pixinsight Pic1
Pixinsight Pic2
Siril Pic1

CS Dominik

Register or login to create to post a reply.