Pegasus Pocket Powerbox Micro - Comments wanted. Generic equipment discussions · Eric Gagne · ... · 7 · 276 · 0

EricGagne 1.51
· 
Hello,

Like many others I am having issues powering my dew heaters with the Asiair Plus so I am looking at buying a powerbox just for that.  The Pegasus Micro seems to suit my needs and it does suit my budget. 

My ZWO cooled camera, EAF and guide camera will all be powered by the Asiair so the Pegasus Micro will only power two dew heaters at first and my DSLR when I used it instead of the colled camera.

I would appreciate any and all comments from those who own or have used it.  Is it good ?  Is there any reason I should absolutely not buy it ?
afd33 4.65
· 
·  2 likes
Works great for me. I use it to power my dew heater for my C8, my EQ6r-Pro, my cooled camera, and my mini pc. I guess through the PC's USB ports it also powers my EAF and guide camera too. I've never had any issues, and the most amps I've seen it draw at once is like 7 out of the rated 10 while slewing.

One thing I'm not sure about, but you might have to connect it to a PC at least one time to make sure the dew heaters are set to auto or whatever level you want.  The temp/humidity sensor seems to be pretty accurate as well. It matches my Acurite weather station pretty well.
Edited ...
EricGagne 1.51
· 
Thanks Quinn, I appreciate your input.  According to Pegasus web site it is set to automatic mode out of the box which would probably be good for me.
kaelig 1.81
· 
·  1 like
On my setup, I have two Pegasus box with Asiair: Pegasus hub + Pegasus power box. I have met the same issue with the Asiair. 
Hence, the external power go to the Pegasus Power box and the Pegasus Power box supply all the setup: asiair, am5, cam, eaf, ...
All the USB devices are connected to the Pegasus hub (supply by the Pegasus power)
The output of the Pegasus hub go to the Asiair or towards a computer (with NINA)
The Pegasus box are very good, I have use since several years without any issues
If you connect your setup to a computer, a specific soft exists in order to check the Pegasus data (Unity Platform).
EricGagne 1.51
· 
On my setup, I have two Pegasus box with Asiair: Pegasus hub + Pegasus power box. I have met the same issue with the Asiair. 
Hence, the external power go to the Pegasus Power box and the Pegasus Power box supply all the setup: asiair, am5, cam, eaf, ...
All the USB devices are connected to the Pegasus hub (supply by the Pegasus power)
The output of the Pegasus hub go to the Asiair or towards a computer (with NINA)
The Pegasus box are very good, I have use since several years without any issues
If you connect your setup to a computer, a specific soft exists in order to check the Pegasus data (Unity Platform).

I was planning on plugging the asiair and the powerbox separately to my battery pack but from this post I wonder, would the powerbox be able to power the dew heaters and the asiair on which the  camera, eaf, guide camera in the mount are connected ?

I like the idea of having only 1 cable going from the rig down to the battery pack but isn't that a lot of total power to draw from that small powerbox ?
kaelig 1.81
· 
·  1 like
Eric Gagne:

I was planning on plugging the asiair and the powerbox separately to my battery pack but from this post I wonder, would the powerbox be able to power the dew heaters and the asiair on which the  camera, eaf, guide camera in the mount are connected ?

I like the idea of having only 1 cable going from the rig down to the battery pack but isn't that a lot of total power to draw from that small powerbox ?

Hello Eric, 
I was electronic engineer in the industry during 20 years, now I have got my village bakery.
My advice: connect only the Pegasus to the external power
Why?
In the Pegasus box, you have current & voltage protections: peaking, overshoot, temperature ... and so on
I am not sure that the input power stage of the Asiair is as strong design than the Pegasus one.
So, I prefer to protect my Asiair by power it through the Pegasus power box.

PS: the only advice about the Pegasus box is the input power slot, be careful to connect your external power to the good input because, on the other side of the Pegasus box, you have an output 12V/2A (I use it to power my mini computer MELE Q3). The input pin and this output pin are connected through a Powermos like a low resistance value. Hence, When you switch on, that's OK, but the current direction is not the good one. I have a friend that make this mistake, he sends his box to Pegasus for repair. Me, I have a power cable always connect to this input on the setup, no risk.
EricGagne 1.51
· 
Thanks for the info kaelig.   I guess I'll have to find a special cable or some adapter, for some reason ZWO chose to use a 2.5mm input port but the output ports of the pegaus are 2.1mm.......just like the asiair actually, why they would use a different size for the input totally eludes me.
kaelig 1.81
· 
Eric Gagne:
Thanks for the info kaelig.   I guess I'll have to find a special cable or some adapter, for some reason ZWO chose to use a 2.5mm input port but the output ports of the pegaus are 2.1mm.......just like the asiair actually, why they would use a different size for the input totally eludes me.

Thanks to the developpment of the security camera, you have a lot of choice of adapter in order to solve this type of issue.
Look for adaptater CCTV 2.5 2.1 5.5 on mamazon or other.

for example:
https://www.amazon.fr/PNGKNYOCN-dextension-dalimentation-s%C3%A9curit%C3%A9-Surveillance%EF%BC%8815cm%EF%BC%89/dp/B0C4L2HBL5/070&sprefix=adaptateur+2.5+2.1+5.5+cctv%2Caps%2C92&sr=8-3

Register or login to create to post a reply.