[RCC] M42 The Orion Nebula Requests for constructive critique · Omiros Angelidis · ... · 37 · 912 · 9

andreatax 7.76
· 
Omiros Angelidis:
Dear @andrea tasselli Andrea Hello!

I tried less aggressive processing and I would appreciate to hear from you if this is on a better track while I feel that I am not getting the full data of the 7+ hours. 

https://www.astrobin.com/6v61k9/B/

If you want and have the luxury of time I could share you the master light to experiment with. 

PS: I don't have any background on traditional photography and as such I got into a very steep learning curve but I really enjoy every single minute of it. Harsh criticism is only received positively! 

Thanks

Seems significantly improved but there is still room for improvements. Generally speaking you seem to tend to clip the shadows. And some colors seem to be absent or not what I would think they should be. Yes, no problem with processing your master. Just post a link. 

And remember: less is more
Gomarofski 0.90
· 
andrea tasselli:
Omiros Angelidis:
Dear @andrea tasselli Andrea Hello!

I tried less aggressive processing and I would appreciate to hear from you if this is on a better track while I feel that I am not getting the full data of the 7+ hours. 

If you want and have the luxury of time I could share you the master light to experiment with. 

PS: I don't have any background on traditional photography and as such I got into a very steep learning curve but I really enjoy every single minute of it. Harsh criticism is only received positively! 

Thanks

Seems significantly improved but there is still room for improvements. Generally speaking you seem to tend to clip the shadows. And some colors seem to be absent or not what I would think they should be. Yes, no problem with processing your master. Just post a link. 

And remember: less is more

Here you are Andrea! I am really curious to see what it can be extracted from the stacked file. Thanks a lot for your time. https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/yjrl3xtg2x31336sskofy/masterLight_BIN-1_9576x6388_EXPOSURE-180.00s_FILTER-NoFilter_RGB.xisf?rlkey=htcfimrxkiakgccux2bc6a3ci&dl=0
Gomarofski 0.90
· 
Omiros Angelidis:

At the very least, I think you've made a huge improvement over your first image. Good job. 

I think you could gain a bit more from better HDR, that might be part of the "not getting the full data". Here is an HDR script from a friend of mine, he is nuts at AP. He worked on that recent DSC 1k+ hr Andromeda and is a big contributor to the knowledge in AWA as far as I know. Here are instructions and such to use the script (at the time of positing this is V2.0, so this may not be completely comprehensive in the future): 

image.png
https://astrouri.com/pixinsight/scripts/iHDR/

Omiros Angelidis:
Here is the processing flow (more or less). 

[...]

Thanks

Omiros

Comments on processing workflow below, numbering them so you can keep track easier.

WBPP stacking
STF preview
Rec 1. Do crop here
Gradient correction 
SPCC
Rec 2. SCNR
Crop
BlurX
Rec 3. NoiseX
Rec 4. Histogram Transformation with EZsuite as I never get a good grasp on the manual mode. I know that this is fundamental but still... - 
Rec 5. HDRMT to get the trapezium
StarX
Rec 7. To the stars image:
--> Slight saturation bump
--> Slight Deconvolution
Rec 6. Then to the starless image I split RGB
Curves transformation with the same settings to all three channels. Darkening the background and bumping up the brights
Local Histogram Equalization (first pass 32 second pass 128) slight increaments for avoiding oversharpening
Unsharp tool not more than 60-70
Recombination of RGB
Rec 2. SCNR again
Rec 3. NoiseX for another smooth pass with selective range masking to the nebula
Colour saturation
Save as PNG/tiff/xisf 

Rec 1: Please crop before basically anything else. While rare, stacking artifiacts or other issues can cause background extraction and other processes to give worse results than if you had cropped before. Again, this isn't super common but it's an easy thing to do and as far as I know there's no reason not to. This does mean that you'll have to platesolve again for SPCC. Alternatively you can turn on autocrop from WBPP if you're happy with what that spits out, but it sounds like autocrop has been running slow recently?

Rec 2: I don't like SCNR. You're just completely removing data. In small amounts I think it can be useful but background neutralization and balancing curves has always given me results where I don't need it.

Rec 3: NoiseX is really powerful, but I would personally try to refrain from running it twice (especially if it's on higher settings). I prefer DeepSNR methods to NoiseX, but again use sparingly and take care that it isn't making fake structures. For example I like this guide by another friend of mine: https://www.nightphotons.com/guides/single-channel-denoise DeepSNR is "only" for mono images, but you can do tricks to get around that. In stacking if you drizzle 1x drop shrink .35, var shape 1.5 that should work, but it's not always consistent. Now of course you do have to dither and drizzle for this, which seems to be a little controversial. This is of course a lot of work when you have NoiseX already, so probably skip it, just throwing it out there in case you want to explore.

Rec 4: EZ suite is sorta outdated. Used to be great and still effective for some things but I strongly suggest learning GHS (Generalized Hyperbolic Stretch). It's a bit complicated but is just overall one of the best stretching tools.

Rec 5: See Mr. Sketchpad (Uri)'s script above and the info I've mentioned there.

Rec 6: This ties into Rec 2&4 in ways. Imo you can do all (or at least most) of the stretching of individual channels neccessary to avoid SCNR and splitting the channels in GHS. Not neccessary for stars. 

Rec 7: Your stars look pretty good at a glance so this is more optional. Maybe it'll be helpful to someone else. Sorta out of order here but I wanted to put it last because its the "last" thing you do. Linking another guide from Charlie: https://www.nightphotons.com/guides/star-addition Charlie goes into more depth here than might be neccessary so I'm giving a simplified method of this, I don't know if it works completely but in my lazy processing it's been what I've used, to decent result at least. This is essentially what Charlie does in "Combining Stars with the Starless Via Relinearization (Manually)".
Here's my short guide:

So you have your starless image and your star mask. Both are stretched/saturated to your liking. Use histogram transformation to "de-stretch" your stars using midtones, by setting midtones to 0.999. Apply this to your starless and star mask. Combine starless and starmask with pixel math. "Re-stretch" my setting midtones to 0.001 and apply to image. Should have recombined stars that look pretty good! Here's a quick example with some snipping tool writing on it.image.png

Wow!! My friend I really appreciate your detailed instructions and valuable comments! I will go through it in detail and follow up every step as per your guidance. This is what I love in the AP community! Everyone is willing to spend some of his own precious time just to improve the skills of a random guy across the world! Many thanks @C.Sand! Please feel free to download the stacked file which I have attached to the last post from Andrea for experimentation!
andreatax 7.76
· 
·  1 like
Omiros Angelidis:
Here you are Andrea! I am really curious to see what it can be extracted from the stacked file. Thanks a lot for your time. https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/yjrl3xtg2x31336sskofy/masterLight_BIN-1_9576x6388_EXPOSURE-180.00s_FILTER-NoFilter_RGB.xisf?rlkey=htcfimrxkiakgccux2bc6a3ci&dl=0

Hi Omiros,

Just for starters, after having looked at your master, there are two critical things that needs carrying out (which I suspect are part of the issues at large...).

1. It doesn't look it has been flat-fielded too well. Did you calibrate the original lights using a master flat frame?

2. When stacking up it is highly recommended to create (beforehand) and use LocalNormalization files in the stack. Also, CFA drizzle (1x) would help a lot in detail and color rendering. When stacking up use a mid-stack reference frame so that the displacements are equally distributed and the borders of the master frame are rendered much more uniformly, see example below for options:
image.png
Can you carry out as discussed so we have a much cleaner master to work with?

Cheers

Andrea
Edited ...
andreatax 7.76
· 
·  1 like
And while doing that make sure you select the options shown below:
image.png
Gomarofski 0.90
· 
andrea tasselli:
Omiros Angelidis:

Hi Omiros,

Just for starters, after having looked at your master, there are two critical things that needs carrying out (which I suspect are part of the issues at large...).

1. It doesn't look it has been flat-fielded too well. Did you calibrate the original lights using a master flat frame?

2. When stacking up it is highly recommended to create (beforehand) and use LocalNormalization files in the stack. Also, CFA drizzle (1x) would help a lot in detail and color rendering. When stacking up use a mid-stack reference frame so that the displacements are equally distributed and the borders of the master frame are rendered much more uniformly, see example below for options:
image.png
Can you carry out as discussed so we have a much cleaner master to work with?

Cheers

Andrea

Hello Andrea!

Sorry for my ignorance as I am still a newbie in DSO AP. I know that flat frames are important but didn't feel the need to use them considering that the image train was/is free from specs and I always crop the images for vigneting and so on. I use ofcourse a master dark. In addition I didn't get my hands on a flat panel yet so getting those flat frames is not currently an option. Local Normalization is always on by default to the WBPP. That step took me more than 3 hours for the 168 frames Finally I didn't touch at all the settings of WBPP. I leave them all in default.
andreatax 7.76
· 
Omiros Angelidis:
Hello Andrea!

Sorry for my ignorance as I am still a newbie in DSO AP. I know that flat frames are important but didn't feel the need to use them considering that the image train was/is free from specs and I always crop the images for vigneting and so on. I use ofcourse a master dark. In addition I didn't get my hands on a flat panel yet so getting those flat frames is not currently an option. Local Normalization is always on by default to the WBPP. That step took me more than 3 hours for the 168 frames Finally I didn't touch at all the settings of WBPP. I leave them all in default.

You don't need a flat panel for flats. The sky at dusk/down is the best flat panel there is and it is free (well, when there are no clouds).

Cropping isn't the answer even more so because you are using a FF sensor therefore flat-fielding (apart from removing dust motes and correcting PRNU) on top of removing vignetting) is basically mandatory to avoid it and create a balanced results.

As for WBPP, don't use it. You don't need it, it's bad practice when you are learning the ropes and slows everything down. Although presumably 168 FF frame will still take some time to pre-process.
Gomarofski 0.90
· 
Jon Rista:
Omiros Angelidis:
Jon Rista:
Omiros Angelidis:
For the masters of the acquisition and processing I am seeking their honest feedback, other than the blown out core where I managed to eliminate the trapezium alltogether.

https://www.astrobin.com/6v61k9/

I know that beauty is subjective but I am not seeking a likeable photo. I am seeking a realistic and not overporcessed result, but I always seem to miss that balance!

Thanks you and clear skies!

Omiros

You seem to have a general issue with the final result. I'm curious, what processing did you perform, and how?

Thanks Jon for the generalization and honesty ;)
Here is the processing flow (more or less). 

WBPP stacking
STF preview
Gradient correction 
SPCC
SCNR
Crop
BlurX
NoiseX
Histogram Transformation with EZsuite as I never get a good grasp on the manual mode. I know that this is fundamental but still...
HDRMT to get the trapezium
StarX
To the stars image:
--> Slight saturation bump
--> Slight Deconvolution
Then to the starless image I split RGB
Curves transformation with the same settings to all three channels. Darkening the background and bumping up the brights
Local Histogram Equalization (first pass 32 second pass 128) slight increaments for avoiding oversharpening
Unsharp tool not more than 60-70
Recombination of RGB
SCNR again
NoiseX for another smooth pass with selective range masking to the nebula
Colour saturation
Save as PNG/tiff/xisf 

Thanks

Omiros

So, probably an unpopular opinion...but, I have never cared for what star removal generally does to images. There may be some techniques that avoid the problems I've usually run into (even with say SXT), but I see signs of the same problems in a lot of other images. Since this can be a potentially degrading step, I would maybe try to eliminate it, and skip the RGB star replacement.

I would also probably do your linear processing, then just do a simple HT stretch and just see what you've got at that point. Before doing any post-stretch processing, I would make sure that you are in fact satisfied with your pre-stretch processing. If you are not, then I would keep backing up through your processing history, and adjust the settings of each tool, until you ARE satisfied. Once you are satisfied with your linear processing, I would then try processing the stretched image (which at that point, should be a lot simpler, really.) 

Processing that is often degrading in nature, are the things like star removal, local histogram/local contrast enhancement stuff, SHARPENING (!!!), and improper stretching (can reveal too much noise if its not done right.) 

My experience with NXT, BXT and SXT is more limited, as I just started using them. That said, I've found SXT to generally be destructive to finer details, and haven't yet been able to overcome that (but, its similar to pre-AI techniques, which were also somewhat destructive as well.) I have found that NXT should probably be run FIRST, BEFORE BXT. NXT can soften details, not a lot, but it  can. In contrast, BXT is designed to enhance details. You are probably generally better off running NXT first, then BXT to restore some of the loss in detail caused by NXT. So I would swap the order of those two.

I also find that if NXT is done properly, it shouldn't need to be run more than once, at least not at a high strength. Sometimes I may run a second pass of NXT later in the process just to lightly clean up some of the background nosie revealed by stretching, but if you apply it properly in the first place, that should be less necessary. ACDNR can also be used for that final-pass cleanup, and sometimes it does a better job. You shouldn't need to run SCNR more than once...if you do that properly, you should only need to use curves to manage color, and proper curves application should not introduce any color casts. Some of these things are post-stretch processing, though, and for now, I would avoid post-stretch processing until you are completely satisfied with your pre-stretch processing.

Hello Jon! Sorry for not responding earlier! I have missed your response! I will try out your suggestion to leave the HT as the last step of the processing.
C.Sand 2.33
· 
·  1 like
Omiros Angelidis:
Wow!! My friend I really appreciate your detailed instructions and valuable comments! I will go through it in detail and follow up every step as per your guidance. This is what I love in the AP community! Everyone is willing to spend some of his own precious time just to improve the skills of a random guy across the world! Many thanks @C.Sand! Please feel free to download the stacked file which I have attached to the last post from Andrea for experimentation!

Of course no problem! Hopefully you'll gain something from all that! Just remember I'm not the messaih of image processing and there are other people to learn from. There are some things that objectively should be done at ceartain times, like the order of crop (learn about what should be done linear vs nonlinear). 
Omiros Angelidis:
I know that flat frames are important but didn't feel the need to use them considering that the image train was/is free from specs

Unfortunately this is probably not true. Unless you have a cleanroom when assembling your train will always have dust. And even then your primary is exposed to the world. 
andrea tasselli:
As for WBPP, don't use it. You don't need it, it's bad practice when you are learning the ropes and slows everything down. Although presumably 168 FF frame will still take some time to pre-process.

Agreed with Andrea on all but this. Specifically for this purpose, not using wbpp is the way to go. In general however I figure that you're going to be using wbpp anyway, so may as well learn it. Even then you can let wbpp stack/do most of the calibration then take those files into image int. Plus, WBPP is nice to just click go and let it run.
jrista 8.59
· 
·  1 like
Omiros Angelidis:
Jon Rista:
So, probably an unpopular opinion...but, I have never cared for what star removal generally does to images. There may be some techniques that avoid the problems I've usually run into (even with say SXT), but I see signs of the same problems in a lot of other images. Since this can be a potentially degrading step, I would maybe try to eliminate it, and skip the RGB star replacement.

I would also probably do your linear processing, then just do a simple HT stretch and just see what you've got at that point. Before doing any post-stretch processing, I would make sure that you are in fact satisfied with your pre-stretch processing. If you are not, then I would keep backing up through your processing history, and adjust the settings of each tool, until you ARE satisfied. Once you are satisfied with your linear processing, I would then try processing the stretched image (which at that point, should be a lot simpler, really.) 

Processing that is often degrading in nature, are the things like star removal, local histogram/local contrast enhancement stuff, SHARPENING (!!!), and improper stretching (can reveal too much noise if its not done right.) 

My experience with NXT, BXT and SXT is more limited, as I just started using them. That said, I've found SXT to generally be destructive to finer details, and haven't yet been able to overcome that (but, its similar to pre-AI techniques, which were also somewhat destructive as well.) I have found that NXT should probably be run FIRST, BEFORE BXT. NXT can soften details, not a lot, but it  can. In contrast, BXT is designed to enhance details. You are probably generally better off running NXT first, then BXT to restore some of the loss in detail caused by NXT. So I would swap the order of those two.

I also find that if NXT is done properly, it shouldn't need to be run more than once, at least not at a high strength. Sometimes I may run a second pass of NXT later in the process just to lightly clean up some of the background nosie revealed by stretching, but if you apply it properly in the first place, that should be less necessary. ACDNR can also be used for that final-pass cleanup, and sometimes it does a better job. You shouldn't need to run SCNR more than once...if you do that properly, you should only need to use curves to manage color, and proper curves application should not introduce any color casts. Some of these things are post-stretch processing, though, and for now, I would avoid post-stretch processing until you are completely satisfied with your pre-stretch processing.

Hello Jon! Sorry for not responding earlier! I have missed your response! I will try out your suggestion to leave the HT as the last step of the processing.

I am not quite saying that... I am saying, TRUNCATE your processing, at the HT step, and don't do further processing until you are satisfied with how things look, once you do that stretch. The idea is to reign in the amount of processing, lighten it up, and try to focus on the foundational aspects, before you continue on to the more aesthetic aspects, of your overall processing.
andreatax 7.76
· 
·  1 like
With the proviso that it was an "impossible" task given the frames weren't flattened thus giving rise to all sort of gradients (shown as color fringing in the shadows) here the outcome (let's say 1st iteration):
image.png
If there is one object LESS suitable for NB imagine I can't think of any.
Gomarofski 0.90
· 
andrea tasselli:
With the proviso that it was an "impossible" task given the frames weren't flattened thus giving rise to all sort of gradients (shown as color fringing in the shadows) here the outcome (let's say 1st iteration):
image.png
If there is one object LESS suitable for NB imagine I can't think of any.

Wow Andrea despite the lack of flats the result definitely is inspiring and much more natural! This is indeed a very nice processing result! Therefore, certainly I need to revisit my workflow but I am not very certain in which step I am destroying the data!
andreatax 7.76
· 
·  1 like
Well, apart from the flattening step missing, I don't think there is any destruction going on. If you imaged the target in several sessions you can always use GraXpert to flatten each session's instance and then combine the partial results in one single grand master. Much better than what you got now.

The rest is just processing and the least you do the better it is, IMO. But, agreed, it's steep learning curve...

Register or login to create to post a reply.