Remote hosting considerations Other · Christian Bennich · ... · 5 · 305 · 0

Bennich 2.11
· 
Hi All

It becomes gradually more and more frustrating that I have all this great equipment - but NO clear skies  
So I am slowly starting to consider remote hosting options and are curious to get some feedback on a few thoughts. 

Telescope focal length?
My thoughts are to find a Focal length that is a balance - not too deep and not too wide. 
My reasoning being that, in a place with more clear nights, building mosaics of larger targets is easier and faster. 
I am considering a scope around 750mm. 
I know the first answer mostly is - it will depend on what you want to target. 
I am looking for some general thoughts and experience to help me consider options. 

Camera?
Full frame - worth the extra cost?
I see lots of really great images with both APS-C and Full frame. 
I have the 2600MM for my current set up which is proven, reliable and tested. 
Going Full Frame, in my perspective, also drive cost through the entire process. Larger filters, larger images etc. etc. 
Why or Why not?

Would the EQ6-R Pro be an ok option to put in a remote hosting facility?

At the end of all this there’s also a bit of economy and I’m “just dipping my toes here”. 

Thoughts and feedback are most welcome.
Edited ...
spacetimepictures 4.07
· 
·  1 like
Hi,

First, define your optimal sampling. For 3.76 micron pixels, it will determine the required focal length.

Then, define how large you want your frame. It will set the sensor diagonal, and optical formula to feed it good stars.

Last, define how fast you want to collect light. This will set the aperture of the telescope.

See you,

Laurent
Leon87 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Hi Christian. Happy to meet someone in the same situation as me. I'm also preparing a remote setup at a hosting facility. The first consideration I made regarding the instrumentation is: I don't want to experiment. At least at the beginning I will go with my trusty equipment, which I know very well and I know it will not disappoint me. The only change will be the optics: in fact I intend to get an Askar 400, but it is a purchase that I would have made anyway with or without hosting. I am lucky enough to have the hosting site about 3 hours' drive from home and therefore, if I want, I can also move to change OTA, when I have gained enough experience. As for the EQ6R Pro, I will be installing that mount as well. The main problem of "cheap" mounts is the absence of absolute encoders on the axes. Therefore, in case of power failure, you will lose the Home position. From what I have read online, the best solution seems to me to be to "intelligently" position a webcam near the setup so that you can, with the NSEW keys, position it in a suitable position. Solve and sync will do the rest. There are those who recommend making marks on the axes so you can see the alignment via webcam. If you decide to move forward with the hosting idea, I would be happy to share the setup preparation phase with you so we can give each other advice.
Bennich 2.11
· 
Thank you @Leonardo Landi 👍
Good input, I was not aware of the encoders on more expensive mounts.

I wilæ move forward with my remote setup, during this year is my current plan.
OregonAstronomer 2.81
· 
·  1 like
Christian Bennich:
Thank you @Leonardo Landi 👍
Good input, I was not aware of the encoders on more expensive mounts.

I wilæ move forward with my remote setup, during this year is my current plan.

Hello Christian,

I have an old Losmandy mount at a remote set-up 1700 miles away. This mount does not have absolute encoders. What I do have is a large UPS powering all the equipment, power outage notifications to my phone and commands in the telescope control program to park the mount if guiding fails. If power is lost, the roof closes automatically using battery power to protect the telescopes inside. If I am awake, when I get the notification on my phone I can park the mount and power everything down gracefully. If I'm asleep, once the roof closes the guide scope can't see stars anymore, guiding fails and NINA skips to the end of the sequence, parking the mount and shutting everything down while powered by the UPS. When power is restored, the mount starts back up in its parked position so it still knows exactly where it is.

Arnie
CCDnOES 5.61
· 
·  1 like
You really need to look at the site in question. Conditions can vary a lot.

Things to find out:

What is the seeing (best and average) and when does that occur? Best determined from a seeing monitor record. Long focal lengths do you no good if the seeing is bad.

What about wind? Some mounts do better than others in the wind. For example, Planewave mounts are super, among the best, but do not like the wind. More wind means you are going to need a heavier mount or smaller OTA and/or some shielding.

What about dust? Open tube scopes get dusty more easily. Flat caps that can be closed become critical with dust.

How far away it is? If a long way, you need to be sure the maintenance folks are better than if it is closer where you can visit.

For example, I have been at two hosting sites in New Mexico and built another private site there. I am no longer at any. IMHO New Mexico is too windy and too dusty and has very dark skies but the seeing is not as good as at some of the other sites. It is also too far away from me, being a 2-3 day drive and the service at the two sites I was at was of marginal quality (at least when I was there).

I am now at SkiesAway in California. Not clear quite as often but the seeing is better, the wind is lower, and the service is excellent (unfortunately, they have no open spots ). That allows a long focal length and high res system.

Honestly, if you can swing it, a dual scope system is best. One for high res and the other for wide field. I presently run a CDK 14 and a 580 mm refractor but am replacing the latter this summer with an f3.3 Epsilon. Conditions vary even at the best sites and that gives you a choice of systems to match conditions.

Above all, you want a high quality heavy mount. Think 10 Micron, Planewave, Astro-Physics, Software Bisque, etc. There is nothing worse than a flaky mount at a remote site. It will annoy both you and the service people! I know this is expensive but at the end of the day the wisdom that has been true since astronomy began is still true and that is that the mount is first, second, and third in importance.

Good Luck!

Register or login to create to post a reply.