ASIAIR paired with EAF chooses bad star for focus ZWO ASIAIR · Johannes Möslein · ... · 3 · 139 · 1

Joo_Astro 1.91
· 
Hi,

I wanted to take some images of Betelgeuse in plan mode, but the Autofocus insisted on choosing Betelgeuse itself for focusing, which...of course didn't work. I tried many different exposure lengths, but nothing changed.
Same result when doing AF outside of plan mode.

Any help for this?
IMG_3883.PNG
skybob727 6.08
· 
·  1 like
Have you tried to just move Betelgeuse out of your FOV, run focus, then move back to Betelgeuse. Focus shouldn't change.
smcx 2.71
· 
Maybe i’m wrong here, but… doesn’t the routine work regardless of how big or small the star is?

Sure, the number you see changes, but the final result should still be the best focus right?
Joo_Astro 1.91
· 
·  1 like
Bob Lockwood:
Have you tried to just move Betelgeuse out of your FOV, run focus, then move back to Betelgeuse. Focus shouldn't change.

I just focused manually, worked too. 
Sean Mc:
Maybe i’m wrong here, but… doesn’t the routine work regardless of how big or small the star is?

Sure, the number you see changes, but the final result should still be the best focus right?

I canceled the process after a few minutes because it did not seem like it was going anywhere. Maybe it would have worked after longer time, but I doubt it, because Betelgeuse was so bright, the star size did not change significantly between good focus and out-of-focus-donut.

Register or login to create to post a reply.