Coma corrector over correcting at 55mm back focus (Maxfield 0.95x) Generic equipment discussions · mijajlo · ... · 2 · 100 · 2

mijajlo 0.00
· 
Hello,
Recently I bought TS Maxfield 0.95x coma corrector for my 130PDS newt.

It seemed like the best budget option for my setup, that would give me satisfactory results.
Additionally I got a bit lucky to find mentioned cc, open-box on sale on Telescope express at small discount.

The issue that I'm having is at 55mm back focus (recommended by manufacturer) I get massive over correction of coma.
The optical train is Nikon D3500 (46.5mm for all F-mount Nikons), T2 adapter (8.5mm) for Nikon (adding up to 55mm total from sensor to cc).

From that point of 55mm back focus, adding space gradually all the way until I couldn't reach focus coma remained over corrected.
And at no point did I encounter under correction (even under 55mm of back focus).
Keep in mind focus position shouldn't change much with this cc, as far as I understood it from description.

I hope that I can resolve this, is it a faulty unit?
I doesn't feel right that the over correction is so big at 55mm.
Hopefully someone with experience can help me decide how to proceed.

I'm very sad/frustrated with fighting the equipment.
Thank you for reading, hope you are having a great day and thanks in advance.

Here's the raw frame: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jPCy5R834sd0GgIP52QzzYSZ4MsdjvTF/view?usp=sharing
a copy.jpg
andreatax 7.90
· 
·  1 like
It is likely a faulty unit flogged off to the unsuspecting customers. I'd wager that the internal spacing is wrong but that shouldn't stop you in returning the unit pronto. The cc should work well, as shown by the picture below (if you discount the slight tilt toward the upper left corner), shot with a D5100 and a 6" f/4 newt:
NCP_D5100_150mmF4_SharpstarCC0.95x_54x5s.jpg
mijajlo 0.00
· 
Thank you for input!
Those are the pictures that made me go for this CC, even at f4 it performs great.

I will be e-mailing customer support, and most likely requesting a different unit.
Hopefully we can arrange an exchange of this faulty unit for a non defective one.

You can imagine how many times I rechecked all the details thinking I didn't do proper research before buying, so thanks again you made me feel sane again

Register or login to create to post a reply.