Pegasus Power Saddle on an AM5 Generic equipment discussions · Dunk · ... · 25 · 848 · 12

dunk 1.81
· 
·  2 likes
Hi guys.

I thought I'd share some pics of my new Pegasus Power Saddle on an AM5 so you don't have to spend the exorbitant amount of money I have ;-) 

I've literally had this 5 mins so have yet to see first-light - but happy to answer any questions if I am able to.

IMG_1217.jpegIMG_1219.jpeg
dunk 1.81
· 
In order to mount on the AM5 you need to buy an additional "puck":

IMG_1220.jpeg
dunk 1.81
· 
This is what's under the AM5 saddle: IMG_1221.jpeg
dunk 1.81
· 
Some comparison shots - the Power saddle is shorter and slightly wider: 
IMG_1224.jpeg
dunk 1.81
· 
·  1 like
The puck mounted. Here's I've re-used the AM5 bolts but this actually doesn't work as they stick out slghtly. The puck ships with the correct bolts though, so I have since fixed.

IMG_1225.jpeg
dunk 1.81
· 
And finally some glamour shots.

Here's I've mounted the power saddle with the tightening knobs on the opposite side as the AM5 saddle so that the power input on the saddle is right next to the power output on the AM5. I have since switched it back to the same orientation as the AM5 saddle because it does not fit in the AM5 case otherwise (and even then, I am still going to have to cut out some of the foam in the case to make it fit.

IMG_1229.jpeg
IMG_1227.jpegIMG_1228.jpegIMG_1230.jpeg
ryderdavid 0.00
· 
Looks very interesting! Would love to see it in action -- wired up.
aabosarah 7.12
· 
How do you like it so far?
dunk 1.81
· 
·  1 like
Ashraf AbuSara:

It's very good (if a little expensive) - makes cable mgmt a breeze, and I can power it from the mount and then use it to power and usb my entire rig.
astroswell 0.00
· 
Looks great! I'm still curious if it's sturdy enough given that it's partially hollow 🤔
aabosarah 7.12
· 
Dunk:
Ashraf AbuSara:

It's very good (if a little expensive) - makes cable mgmt a breeze, and I can power it from the mount and then use it to power and usb my entire rig.

Great thanks for the feedback. There were a couple of negative reviews on Agena claiming there is not enough clearance between the puck and the underside of the clamps. Was not sure what they were referring to. 

Did you have to do any modifications for it to work?
dunk 1.81
· 
Maxim:
Looks great! I'm still curious if it's sturdy enough given that it's partially hollow 🤔

It’s very sturdy.
dunk 1.81
· 
·  1 like
Ashraf AbuSara:
Dunk:
Ashraf AbuSara:

Great thanks for the feedback. There were a couple of negative reviews on Agena claiming there is not enough clearance between the puck and the underside of the clamps. Was not sure what they were referring to. 

Did you have to do any modifications for it to work?

Not sure what they are referring to - it fits and works perfectly.
aabosarah 7.12
· 
Alright. I will give it a go on my AM5. Thanks for the feedback Dunk.
dunk 1.81
· 
·  1 like
Ashraf AbuSara:

Hey mate,

I was curious about the reviews you mentioned, so had a look at the saddle again today and took my OTA off completely to have a look.

The clamps are 2-part. The rear one on mine is *very slightly* catching the AM5 adapter plate (not so much that it is stuck or anything). The front one is perfect.

So maybe there is a slight issue with machining - I really don't know. For me it's all good.

Anyway, just wanted you to be aware before committing the (significant) funds. I am still very happy with my purchase, would 100% buy again - it feels like a quality product to me.
aabosarah 7.12
· 
Dunk:
Ashraf AbuSara:

Hey mate,

I was curious about the reviews you mentioned, so had a look at the saddle again today and took my OTA off completely to have a look.

The clamps are 2-part. The rear one on mine is *very slightly* catching the AM5 adapter plate (not so much that it is stuck or anything). The front one is perfect.

So maybe there is a slight issue with machining - I really don't know. For me it's all good.

Anyway, just wanted you to be aware before committing the (significant) funds. I am still very happy with my purchase, would 100% buy again - it feels like a quality product to me.

No worries thanks for checking! Hopefully Pegasus would honor and troubleshoot any issues it may have at this point.

sn2006gy 3.01
· 
I like seeing stuff like this hit this level of gear. Such a quality of life improvement over strapping stuff on or hanging it off the side or zip tied and velcro straps.
carted2 3.58
· 
·  1 like
I have the Pegasus Astro saddle on my RST-135E. It works well as long as you use their cables. I used some power cables from Agena and they would intermittently disconnect my camera. I tried several other brands of power cables all with the same result. Any slight bump would disconnect whatever was powered by that cable. PA said that I should only use their cables. Apparently the end connectors are slightly different (not sure if it is longer or a different connector type that helps it stay snug in the port). Otherwise, it works well and does it's job.
aabosarah 7.12
· 
·  1 like
Daniel Carter:
I have the Pegasus Astro saddle on my RST-135E. It works well as long as you use their cables. I used some power cables from Agena and they would intermittently disconnect my camera. I tried several other brands of power cables all with the same result. Any slight bump would disconnect whatever was powered by that cable. PA said that I should only use their cables. Apparently the end connectors are slightly different (not sure if it is longer or a different connector type that helps it stay snug in the port). Otherwise, it works well and does it's job.

That's good to know thanks for the info! Good to know problems ahead of time.
MuslimAstronomer 0.00
· 
Looks good @Dunk!

I have two - one on each of my EQ6RPs and they do work like a dream. I suppose the only downside for me is that I have to break down my rigs at the end of each imaging session so I do worry sometimes about the wear and tear on the ports. Otherwise, I've often thought about getting one for my AM5 as well!
ScottF 0.00
· 
You don't need to use a PC with it, right? You can run it using an ASIAIR?
Is it impossible to fit into the case even with some cutting if you keep the power input on the same side of the AM5 as its power output? Although, if running dew heaters, is it probably better to run power separately from the hub?
Edited ...
dunk 1.81
· 
no PC needed - although it does have a bunch of monitors etc. that do need a PC to use and same with variable output power sockets. Otherwise, you can use as just power + usb hub.

not sure about the case (I didn't want to cut foam) - but I think possibly it might fit.
ScottF 0.00
· 
Dunk:
no PC needed - although it does have a bunch of monitors etc. that do need a PC to use and same with variable output power sockets. Otherwise, you can use as just power + usb hub.

not sure about the case (I didn't want to cut foam) - but I think possibly it might fit.

Sorry, I have another question, this time regarding cable runs. Could I run my main power supply to the saddle and then power from it to my mount? For mount control, could I then plug my ASIAIR into the saddle and then another cable to the mount? Would I have to use the special USB3 cable, or will it be fine from one of the USB ports on the saddle?
dunk 1.81
· 
=14pxSorry, I have another question, this time regarding cable runs. Could I run my main power supply to the saddle and then power from it to my mount? For mount control, could I then plug my ASIAIR into the saddle and then another cable to the mount? Would I have to use the special USB3 cable, or will it be fine from one of the USB ports on the saddle?

You can do whatever you can do with a usb3 hub and a pegasus power box.
ryan_faulkner 1.20
· 
I just received mine and I'm returning it. I'm not comfortable with the USB plugs getting this close to the mount.
I might be able to do some cable management to get it to work, but I'd rather go with a PowerBox mounted on the dovetail plate or scope rings.
tempImagew6IWCq.jpg

Register or login to create to post a reply.