Pixinsight Files Pleiades Astrophoto PixInsight · AoP · ... · 31 · 1459 · 0

AstroRBA 1.51
· 
·  1 like
I dump all of them - even the masters once I've started a new project. Too much data these days! I have drives lying all over the place!
I have been using Pixinsight for about a year now for processing It's amazing! What a game changer. I recently began using it for Preprocessing and I'm curious after all is said and done which files everyone keeps. I think its obvious to keep the masters it creates, but what about all of the other calibrated and registered images? These files are enormous! I do have three gigs of space for storage however, these three images have already used up app500 gigs of space. How does everyone treat these extra files? Save them into an external drive or just delete them?
kaelig 1.81
· 
It is the same thing with SIRIL, the working intermediate files are huge. Hence, I keep in archive the input (datas & DOFs files) and the output files of WBPP. In my case, I prefer Astro Pixel Processor soft.
Corsaire1348 0.00
· 
I dump all of them - even the masters once I've started a new project. Too much data these days! I have drives lying all over the place!
I have been using Pixinsight for about a year now for processing It's amazing! What a game changer. I recently began using it for Preprocessing and I'm curious after all is said and done which files everyone keeps. I think its obvious to keep the masters it creates, but what about all of the other calibrated and registered images? These files are enormous! I do have three gigs of space for storage however, these three images have already used up app500 gigs of space. How does everyone treat these extra files? Save them into an external drive or just delete them?

*** Ecrivez votre réponse ici **It’s actually an interesting question.*
Alain G (AoP
bennyc 8.42
· 
Aside from the master files I keep the log files. The log files are small, can be gzipped to be even smaller if you want, and contain valuable information to assist in troubleshooting and/or reproducing the master.
Gadevries 0.00
· 
I keep the stacked-unstretched FIT.  I also keep the stretched FIT and the post processed TIF.  If I have Ha, Oiii, Sii data, I keep those stacked FIT files along with the later two. The reason for only these and not all the original collected data and calibration files is that I am unlikely to improve stacking.  I am highly likely to improve stretching and initial processing skills/techniques and even minor adjustments in post stretch processing.  Those three (or 5) files allow me to play as I learn and save drive/storage space.
whwang 11.22
· 
·  1 like
Brian Puhl:
Can I ask an open question here to those that have responded so far?:     Why are you deleting calibrated data? And wanting to recalibrate it again later?    Calibrated data should be good to go, you'll never need to mess with it again.  You can restack the data anytime without having to use flats and bias.   You can easily integrate it with other scopes and projects.

I keep everything until the entire process is done and finished.  Then I delete all intermediate files that were generated between the raw files and the stacked 32 bit linear image.  These include the calibrated files, deBayered, registered, etc.

Why do I delete the calibrated files you ask?  Once the project is considered done (meaning that I am satisfied with the result), they are useless.  Why keep them?  Of course, if the stacked file makes me believe I need more data, the projects is not done.  Then the calibrated file can stay until I take more data and process them.

And as always, things are never simple black and white.  Even if I consider a project closed now, I may add substantially more exposures in the future for the same target.  Even if there is such a possibility, and even if a project is only temporarily considered closed, I still delete the calibrated files (as long as I feel satisfied with the stack).  That's because if I am ever to re-open this project, it's only meaningful if the amount of the added data way exceeds the amount of old data.  For example, if the old project contains 40 exposures and there are 80 new exposures, then I just re-process everything.  If I have to process 80 files anyway, why do I care about having to reprocess 40 more?  So keeping the calibrated files for the 40 has very low value to me.  They just add unnecessary pressure to the storage and backup systems for an indefinite amount of time.

When I look at my old images, if I ever feel they need improvement, it's usually my post-processing.  I have never felt that it's the calibration or registration or stacking process that needs improvement.  So keeping the calibrated files is useless to me.  I just need the stacked file to start over, if I am ever to start over.
Edited ...
lazyimager 0.00
· 
Like many others, I don't save intermediate calibrated or registered files. I keep any original acquired data; the images and flats. I also keep the master flat and a copy of any masters I pull in from my library (master bias, master dark). I understand that is duplicating those library files, but if I reprocess in the future, I am assured I have the correct masters to apply. I keep most post processing intermediate steps. Probably overkill, but I keep them anyway.

You mention you have 3 GB storage. I'm guessing that is a misprint and its really 3TB? If not, that certainly puts pressure on file management. I am currently running 9TB! 

Cheers,
Darrell

Register or login to create to post a reply.