Wifi enabled power switches - recommendations [Deep Sky] Acquisition techniques · Christopher Gomez · ... · 15 · 582 · 0

cgome004 0.00
· 
Hello, 

For those with a remote observatory of sorts, what are you all using to controll power to your equipment? Looking to be able to power up and down my mount, camera, focuser etc remotely

Thanks in advance

Chris Gomez
tjz 1.20
· 
These are not for outdoor use, but I have had good luck with these and they are inexpensive: Kasa KPM125M. I've got them in a weatherproof sprinkler control box, and so far so good, through some very severe weather lately.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BYGRLRS1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
p0laris 0.00
· 
We are using Philips Hue lights in our house and I extended the system so that it reaches into the shed where my setup is located - this works via a mesh network that is created by the individual lights in the Hue system (see it as: "one light can send signals to other lights, so adding a light extends the range"). The Hue system also offers power switches that can be remotely turned ON and OFF (and I believe they have a maximum rating of 230V/2000 watt), I use one of those to turn ON/OFF my mount.

It's convenient if you already have a Hue system in place, it's pricy if you need to set this up from scratch since you'll also need a Hue bridge and you'll want to connect it to a Wi-Fi network etc. One remark: they are for indoor use, not sure if they have these available for outdoor use.

Next to this, I work for a QA/Testing company and for some of the services that we offer, we install a server rack that also includes a remotely switchable power supply with multiple outlets (you can just access the equipment via a web page). They are of the Anel brand. I haven't used them much, but when I needed them to switch power they always did.
ngc1977 1.81
· 
I use a Wyze Plug in my remote observatory.  Along with the Wyze cameras I have around the place, it works great!

https://www.amazon.com/WYZE-Outdoor-Plug-Monitoring-Compatible/dp/B08NXY7WWX/
rgsalinger 0.00
· 
·  1 like
We're using the KASA smart plugs on two of our 5 systems. They seem to work fine so far but it's only been maybe 6 months. I prefer to use wired connections in the observatory. We have digital loggers and the advantage of those is that I have a simple script that shuts off the power at the end of the evenning's run. With the KASA smart plug I have to use my phone to shut the system down. It may be just me but I don't want to run my systems any more than necessary. 

Rgrds-Ross
CCDnOES 5.61
· 
·  2 likes
Digital Loggers has been the standard for years for remote observatory sites and most of the commercial remote sites use them. I have three at home and one at a remote site and they are very reliable and easy to use. There are ASCOM divers available so they can be used with NINA and such as well. Wired ethernet is best but they are  WiFi enabled as well.

Digital Loggers
rgsalinger 0.00
· 
I completely forgot about the wifi in my loggers! They've just been sitting there for 5 years with wired connections. I'm not aware of any ascom driver for them, can you post a link? I run a  simple batch file.

Rgrds-Ross
Supro 3.81
· 
I've been through all the common smart home type of switches. Personally, I find Kasa to be the best value in that area. (the power strip works well)

However, I have a digital logger web power switch pro and if you really want something purpose built, it's the best. You can really have a nice automated routine with the scripting they allow. 

You might be able to accomplish some similar level of automation with IFTTT + Kasa, but then you've got another thing to manage of course...
Juno16
· 
I also use a Kasa wifi plug. It is outdoor rated and very inexpensive ($17).

Kasa Outdoor Smart Plug, Smart... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099KLNM24?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I set up before each session, but I use the Kasa to shut down power to the rig (mainly camera and dew heaters) from inside until I go out the next morning to either break the setup down or cover it for that night.

Jim
CCDnOES 5.61
· 
Ross Salinger:
I completely forgot about the wifi in my loggers! They've just been sitting there for 5 years with wired connections. I'm not aware of any ascom driver for them, can you post a link? I run a  simple batch file.

Rgrds-Ross

ASCOM for DLI
cgome004 0.00
· 
Thanks for everyone's input. This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm not remote but I do have a rooftop rolloff in the back yard and want something to power on and off my rig to get things cooled down and or shut off  before and after work. Many times I get home after its dark and wish my rig was ready and set to go. I could even log in remotely from work to get things going before I left for the day.

Thanks again guys!
PatrickStarSearch 0.00
· 
I have a simple Leviton wifi controlled power switch coming off my UPS. It’s been very reliable.
EdDixonImages 3.34
· 
Meross is a company that makes good wifi switches.  I have about a dozen of them for Christmas lights and other things in the home.  They also make a two port model suitable for outside use.
richard85392 0.00
· 
Christopher Gomez:
Hello, 

For those with a remote observatory of sorts, what are you all using to controll power to your equipment? Looking to be able to power up and down my mount, camera, focuser etc remotely

Thanks in advance

Chris Gomez

*** Digital Loggers is the best, great customer service, can be set up with Alexa to work with your phone. 3years and zero issues.
BobGillette 6.26
· 
I’m using both the Digital Logger mentioned above and a smaller ( and cheaper at $100) Proxicast two socket) digital switch that operates through an app or through the manufacturer’s website.  Both work very well.

CS, Bob
Edited ...
rgsalinger 0.00
· 
I tried installing both of the ASCOM drivers for my Digital loggers but even though ASCOM recognizes them and I get a message actually describing the names of the power ports, it just dies in NINA 3.0 beta. I'm going to try it on my NINA 2.3 system and see if it works there but I'm flummoxed about how to get it working. I tried rebooting the system but that did no good at all. I know that I have the right IP address as well as the correct login and password. If anyone has had trouble with that driver and got around it using NINA I'd love to hear from you. 

Rgrds-Ross

Register or login to create to post a reply.