DeltaRho 350 Initial Tilt, Curvature and FWHM Results Planewave DeltaRho 350 · Kevin Morefield · ... · 5 · 383 · 5

morefield 11.37
· 
The faulty optics on my DeltaRho 350 have finally been replaced and tested onsite.  This is all based on a single, uncalibrated 2 minute sub but the results are very promising. 

The image scale here is .73".  Ignore the CCDInspector FWHM result as that was reading hot pixels.  The PI FWHM Eccentricity result of 2.588 pixels yields a 1.88" FWHM which is respectable.  Seeing was somewhat better than this so this might be in the lowest range it will produce, but more testing will tell.  1.88" will be quite good with the large FOV it produces at 1050mm FL.

Curvature is present and was expected.  However, at 14% this is fine for an F3 scope in my opinion.  

Tilt is nominal.  CCDInspector measures it at 4% and the ASTAP result isn't far from that.  The Planewave Tip/Tilt corrector was used and several shims were needed  

Many thanks to Planewave for coming through with the needed fixes and being onsite to get this set up and tuned this well!

20240119_1x1_-10.00C_120.000secs_Luminace_Light_2.00mins_IC 434_00010965.jpg
2 Minute Luminance with 60% Illuminated Moon.  QHY600M Extended Full Well Mode.
DR Aberration Inspector.pngDR ASTAP tilt.pngDR curvature.pngDR FWHM.png
Edited ...
albusmw 0.00
· 
Hi Kevin,

I have more or less the same setup (DR350 with QHY600M) - would you like to do some comparison?
My setup is located at Deep Sky Chile on a L600 mount, currently we have some small issues with the guiding but the setup works more or less ...
Which filters do you use? We could image the same area with the same settings and do a small analysis.

For capturing I use a self programmed software (QHYCapture), but the FITS files should be comparable.

Best regards

Martin
WhooptieDo 9.24
· 
Hey Kevin.  

Those stars bug me.   Inconsistent flares, particularly on the right third of the image being the worst.  I understand it's an F/3 scope, but these aren't GSO mirrors.   These Delta Rho's have yet to impress me.   FWHM is nice at least, but eccentricity seems a bit high.
morefield 11.37
· 
·  1 like
Brian Puhl:
Hey Kevin.  

Those stars bug me.   Inconsistent flares, particularly on the right third of the image being the worst.  I understand it's an F/3 scope, but these aren't GSO mirrors.   These Delta Rho's have yet to impress me.   FWHM is nice at least, but eccentricity seems a bit high.

Yes, the dim edges around the stars seem ragged.  I'm interested to see what they will look like stacked.  Obviously, BXT will clean up any remaining oddities after the stack but I think these aberrations won't impact the object's sharpness much.  Eccentricity is likely because I haven't done a model yet for this scope.  So the mount was tracking for the CDK17 rather than the DR.  I don't think the eccentricity is inherent in the optics.
Edited ...
morefield 11.37
· 
Martin Weiss:
Hi Kevin,

I have more or less the same setup (DR350 with QHY600M) - would you like to do some comparison?
My setup is located at Deep Sky Chile on a L600 mount, currently we have some small issues with the guiding but the setup works more or less ...
Which filters do you use? We could image the same area with the same settings and do a small analysis.

For capturing I use a self programmed software (QHYCapture), but the FITS files should be comparable.

Best regards

Martin

Could be interesting Martin.  I won't be fully up and running with the DR or about 4 weeks.  Then I'll want to get a few full datasets to better understand how it performs.  After that would be good time to talk!

Kevin
jhayes_tucson 22.76
· 
Kevin,
Thanks for the post!  I'm delighted to hear that PW was finally able to get your system repaired.  I can't seem to zoom in on your image without the image being zoomed more horizontally than vertically, but eye-balling the unmagnified image looks like you've got nice round, tight stars.  I haven't yet confirmed it but I've heard a rumor that Planewave has finally acquired a Phasecam interferometer system, which should help considerably in the long term to produce much better optics.  I'm looking forward to seeing more images from this scope.  I'm sure that they will be spectacular!

John

Register or login to create to post a reply.