Weird rainbow pattern next to Alnitak [Deep Sky] Acquisition techniques · Menelaos · ... · 3 · 265 · 2

Menelaos 0.00
· 
Hello guys. So after a while i got my full spectrum modified camera back, and i tried imaging with it. I took several pictures from several targets. When i was imaging the star Alnitak there was a weird rainbow pattern in the image and i have no idea what it is! i tried rotating the frame and the rainbow pattern remains at the same place in relation to Alnitak so i think i ruled out the coma corrector? Maybe? Also Alnitak is the only target that gives me this rainbow, i tried sirius, betelgeuse and several other bright stars none of which create a rainbow pattern. Any ideas what this is?
IMG_0106.jpegIMG_0107.jpeg
Edited ...
andreatax 7.90
· 
·  1 like
Alnitak can do all sorts of weird things but spectra means you might have an issue with internal reflection there.
WhooptieDo 9.82
· 
·  2 likes
Agreeing with Andrea here.   More than likely an internal reflection.   Assuming this is a newtonian, they're tough sometimes.  Alnitak is also not forgiving and often gives even the best optical systems issues.
AstronoDon 0.00
· 
Alnitak is a stress test for your optics and imaging process. You have likely found a way to improve your set up that has been hiding all along 

Register or login to create to post a reply.