Polar align “ahead” of time [Deep Sky] Acquisition techniques · Christian Bennich · ... · 14 · 601 · 0

Bennich 2.11
· 
Tomorrow it seems I will have clear skies. Problem is I’m away from my gear. 

Would it work if I polar align now, but set the time in my PS align Pro app for tomorrow, and then align the scope according to that now?

Or would it be better to polar align now, and then accept a slight off polar alignment for tomorrow?
tjz 1.20
· 
·  4 likes
Once polar aligned, if you don't move anything, you'll stay aligned indefinitely. The PS app will show a different place for Polaris, but that's just because of the different time.

Sometimes, if I know a good night is ahead and I want to maximize my imaging time, I find a clear hour or so some night before and align my scope and get all my gear ready to go, and then just un-cable and cover it until the good night. I've tested my alignment by doing it again, and even with the jiggling around of re-cabling, messing with the dew shield, and all that, I am usually spot on so long as I don't kick my tripod or something like that.
Edited ...
Bennich 2.11
· 
·  1 like
Yeah, I normally keep it out for multiple nights as well. But I usually always trim the scope every night 🤣

I will align sometime tonight between the clouds and hope for the best tomorrow.
Marcelof 4.52
· 
·  1 like
Christian Bennich:
Yeah, I normally keep it out for multiple nights as well. But I usually always trim the scope every night 🤣

I will align sometime tonight between the clouds and hope for the best tomorrow.

That is completely unnecessary , once the mount is aligned, if it does not move it remains aligned.  My equipment is permanently mounted in my backyard and I really don't remember when the polar alignment was performed.

However, it depends entirely on the strength and robustness of the mount. I remember when I had an AVX that just putting on and taking off the protective cover could cause misalignment.
andreatax 7.90
· 
·  2 likes
Tom Zepf:
Once polar aligned, if you don't move anything, you'll stay aligned indefinitely

Indefinitely is a very long time. True polar drift will take care of that.
EricGagne 1.51
· 
·  1 like
As a beginner astrophotographer I could be saying a huge stupidity here but I have a hard time accepting the idea that a rig could remain aligned for long periods of time.   Wouldn’t the expansion and contraction of metals and plastics with temperature changes over 24 hours be enough to possibly mess up the alignment ?
Edited ...
Geoff 2.81
· 
·  1 like
Eric Gagne (EricGagne)
As a beginner astrophotographer I could be saying a huge stupidity here but I have a hard time accepting the idea that a rig could remain aligned for long periods of time.   Wouldn’t the expansion and contraction of metals and plastics with temperature changes over 24 hours be enough to possibly mess up the alignment ?

Not so much that it would matter.
Supro 3.81
· 
·  1 like
What tool does everyone use to measure their polar alignment? I've been through (sharpcap, ipolar, polemaster, and now just using nina 3PPA) but they all seem somewhat fallible and what could give me ideal polar alignment in one app/process seems to contradict what another says is accurate. I feel like there should likely be some scientific measurement possible that then compare the methods?

I'd love it, but there doesn't seem to be any completely unbiased way to measure the accuracy of polar alignment that I know of. To really measure some of the tools\methods in a qualititave analysis would be awesome if anyone is up to that sort of task
Edited ...
Supro 3.81
· 
·  1 like
Christian Bennich:
But I usually always trim the scope every night 🤣

yes, I do this too. I'm confounded as to how a polar alignment could slip over one day in the backyard, but it seems to happen...at least according to any measurement/correction process I run.
andreatax 7.90
· 
·  1 like
Nick Grundy:
What tool does everyone use to measure their polar alignment? I've been through (sharpcap, ipolar, polemaster, and now just using nina 3PPA) but they all seem somewhat fallible and what could give me ideal polar alignment in one app/process seems to contradict what another says is accurate. I feel like there should likely be some scientific measurement possible that then compare the methods?

I'd love it, but there doesn't seem to be any completely unbiased way to measure the accuracy of polar alignment that I know of. To really measure some of the tools\methods in a qualititave analysis would be awesome if anyone is up to that sort of task

Preface: there are very many issues that may affect your tracking performance that wasting time on splitting hair with PA adjustments every single night is not going to affect how things really go. My mounts are permanently mounted in my back-garden and I may check at every change of season and that's it.

However, if your mount can be exactly be positioned that the OTA is pointing to the pole (say by plate solving), take a series of shots few seconds long and covering 10 minutes of time at least. Stack them up and you'll see how good is your PA (is the Pole close to the center of the image?) if you got no cone error. 

If you have a cone error then point you scope just half an hour ahead of the meridian and up to 10 degrees from the equator and keep shooting short integrations until it crosses over the meridian. The Dec drift of any chosen star will give you how accurate your PA azimuth angle is. Repeat at quadrature, either East or West (and at least 30 degrees up in altitude) and measure again the Dec drift. This will give how good your PA altitude angle is.
dkamen 6.89
· 
·  1 like
Eric Gagne:

Not really, maybe if there were extremely strong vibrations from something like a train passing by, or perhaps a gale. 

Of course it is likely that you will bump the mount if you remove the scope at the night's end and when you put it back the next night, I mean for me at least it's a certainty.
Bennich 2.11
· 
andrea tasselli:
Nick Grundy:

Preface: there are very many issues that may affect your tracking performance that wasting time on splitting hair with PA adjustments every single night is not going to affect how things really go. My mounts are permanently mounted in my back-garden and I may check at every change of season and that's it.

However, if your mount can be exactly be positioned that the OTA is pointing to the pole (say by plate solving), take a series of shots few seconds long and covering 10 minutes of time at least. Stack them up and you'll see how good is your PA (is the Pole close to the center of the image?) if you got no cone error. 

If you have a cone error then point you scope just half an hour ahead of the meridian and up to 10 degrees from the equator and keep shooting short integrations until it crosses over the meridian. The Dec drift of any chosen star will give you how accurate your PA azimuth angle is. Repeat at quadrature, either East or West (and at least 30 degrees up in altitude) and measure again the Dec drift. This will give how good your PA altitude angle is.

I use PS Align Pro for polar alignment. I would normally always perform a PA before an imaging session. 
I rarely spend more than 5 minutes to do my alignment. 
I have nothing blocking my view and the App makes it, at least for me, super easy to get the PA done.
rgenier 0.00
· 
·  2 likes
Nick Grundy:

I used to use SharpCap, and it worked well for me. Ever since I upgraded to an iOptron mount, I've exclusively used iPolar. I don't know exactly how accurate the alignment is (no deviations are listed like SharpCap), but once I start guiding my DEC variability in PHD is dead on. This tells me that the alignment is pretty much perfect.
Geoff 2.81
· 
·  2 likes
Nick Grundy:

You could use the old fashioned Drift Alignment https://explorescientificusa.com/pages/polar-alignment-using-the-drift-method
No software needed--just you and your equipment
I have used it in the distant past. Takes time but works a treat.
Nowadays I use Pempro--probably once every year or two on my permanent mount
Edited ...
patrice_so 3.61
· 
·  1 like
Except for exceptional circumstances (strong winds, strong vibrations, your foot hitting the tripod, etc...) I would not bother. 

My rig stays outside 24/12/365. I check polar alignment each 2-3 months only. Guiding remains excellent at all time (below 0.6, except if the sky does not allow it; but alignment is not the issue). 

Of course, this is different if you are not guiding and tracking only.

Register or login to create to post a reply.