ASI2600MC pro compared to ASI294MC pro. I am thinking of trading up. ZWO ASI2600MC Pro · Tim Song Jones · ... · 8 · 589 · 0

Boommutt 0.90
· 
I currently have an ASI294MC Pro camera and am thinking of trading up to the ASI2600MC Pro. Would there be a significant improvement in my images? Would I have to get a different filter drawer?
Mikeinfortmyers 7.83
· 
·  1 like
Tim, go to ZWO's web site and do a side by side comparison. The 2600 has an APS-C chip so a larger field. No amp glow and 26mps as opposed to 11.7. Kind of depends on what you mean by "improvement." 2600 users put just as much work, planning and processing in as a 294 user.  If you're currently using a filter drawer that holds 2" filters, they will work fine. 

Mike
rroesch 1.20
· 
·  3 likes
It will depend on what type of telescope you are using the camera. The 2600mc  has smaller pixel  which will give you  better sampling in widefield images. To me, the main advantages of the 2600mc over the 294mc that make the replacement worth are:
  • Much easier to calibrate. The 294mc tends to produce weird patterns mainly when the Peltier usage is high or doing long exposures  (longer than 5 min). This is more relevant when used dual band filters.
  • The 2600mc does not have amp glow, so the need of darks may not be as critical
  • You have much larger field of view.
  • 16 bit vs 14 bit. This will give you more flexibility at higher gain  since dynamic range tends to drop
Edited ...
Boommutt 0.90
· 
I should have listed my scopes: a Celestron 8" RASA and a TS Optics 8" carbon fiber Newtonian.
rroesch 1.20
· 
·  1 like
For the RASA, you will have to buy a different adapter since the filter drawer is too thick to get the spacing. Starizona sell those, but filters need to be installed in the back of the adapter. 
It will give you better sampling too.
Boommutt 0.90
· 
I was afraid of that. THANK YOU AGAIN.
Stargazer66207 1.81
· 
·  3 likes
Tim,
Go for it!  In addition to all of the advantages listed by Mike and Rodrigo, it ALSO has the newest technology: back illuminated chip design, where all the circuitry, etc., is on the BACK side of the chip, so you get better light gathering and resolution.
Also, the 2600MC Pro is now on sale at several vendors.  I've had mine for 3 years and LOVE it.  Some of the finest images on AstroBin have been done with the 2600MC Pro.

Ron Abbott
Boommutt 0.90
· 
Thank you!
bdm201170 2.11
· 
·  1 like
Tim Song Jones:
I currently have an ASI294MC Pro camera and am thinking of trading up to the ASI2600MC Pro. Would there be a significant improvement in my images? Would I have to get a different filter drawer?

hi

tablet with proper filter size 

zwo 294 mm or mc   filter 31mm (min)  format 4/3
zwo 2600mm or mc  filter 36mm ( min) format APS-C
zwo 6200 mm or mc filter 50mm ( min) format full frame /aps-c

Register or login to create to post a reply.