Chroma filters still worth the price? Chroma Blue · Rafael Sampaio · ... · 56 · 2201 · 1

aabosarah 7.12
· 
So I am running into this situation myself. Upgrading to a FF sensor to pair with my AG Optical Convergent FA12. 

I accidently purchased second Chroma S/O 5nm filters and Ha 8nm filters, because I was not paying attention tp the description and mistook 3mm with 3nm, which was referring to their thickness....

Anyway, I am not sure if it is just worth it to sell the Ha 8nm and get Ha 3nm chroma instead, and just keep the 5nm Oiii/Sii, or just resell the entire set and get Antlia 3nm filters instead. 

Would anyone here prefer a Chroma 5nm Oiii/Sii over a 3nm Antlia equivalent?

My skies are Bortle 6/7. I would be using it with an f/5 system.
Edited ...
umasscrew39 12.64
· 
·  2 likes
Well- the good news is that you won't have any trouble selling the Chroma filters- especially the SII and OIII 5nm ones.  But why not just return them to the store you purchased them from?   If for some reason you cannot return them, my first option would be to sell the Chroma filters and get the 3nm Antlia set- they work fine as I have those on my f/5 scope under Bortle 7.  I also have Chroma filters (Ha 5 nm, SII/OIII 3 nm) that are on my f/10 scope and I see no discernable difference.   

That is my 2 cents.
aabosarah 7.12
· 
Bruce Donzanti:
Well- the good news is that you won't have any trouble selling the Chroma filters- especially the SII and OIII 5nm ones.  But why not just return them to the store you purchased them from?   If for some reason you cannot return them, my first option would be to sell the Chroma filters and get the 3nm Antlia set- they work fine as I have those on my f/5 scope under Bortle 7.  I also have Chroma filters (Ha 5 nm, SII/OIII 3 nm) that are on my f/10 scope and I see no discernable difference.   

That is my 2 cents.

Sorry my post was missing a critical word : second *hand* Chroma filters. I obviously can't return them.

So to clarify you don't see a discernable difference between your 5nm Chroma filters and the 3nm Antlia filters? 

I might just get the Antlia filters and and before I resell the Chroma filters, just do a quick 1:1 comparison by putting both on the same EFW. I think someone might find that information useful. 

I also have Chroma 3nm filters in 36mm on APS-C sensor. Maybe I'll do a Chroma 3nm vs 5nm vs Antlia 3nm comparison.
umasscrew39 12.64
· 
·  1 like
Correct- no discernible difference between my filters on my scopes.  I prefer the Ha 5nm vs the 3 nm only because you get the NII band data with the 5 nm Ha filter.  My Antlia filters are all 3nm because they came cheaper as a set.  As I stated in a previous post on this thread, I can easily afford to buy all Chroma filters again, but the dramatic increase in cost now vs. the Antlia filters, just doesn’t make a wise use of money to me.  So my decision is based on the performance I have seen and not a financial one.  Others disagree.
aabosarah 7.12
· 
Bruce Donzanti:
Correct- no discernible difference between my filters on my scopes.  I prefer the Ha 5nm vs the 3 nm only because you get the NII band data with the 5 nm Ha filter.  My Antlia filters are all 3nm because they came cheaper as a set.  As I stated in a previous post on this thread, I can easily afford to buy all Chroma filters again, but the dramatic increase in cost now vs. the Antlia filters, just doesn’t make a wise use of money to me.  So my decision is based on the performance I have seen and not a financial one.  Others disagree.

That is interesting that despite your Bortle 7 skies your 5nm Oiii filter did not show any difference with the 3nm. Thanks. You'd think such a hotly discussed subject that also has a lot of $$$ on the line would get more objective real world comparisons.
Edited ...
umasscrew39 12.64
· 
All of my OIII filters are 3nm.  Only the Ha is 5 nm.
aabosarah 7.12
· 
Bruce Donzanti:
All of my OIII filters are 3nm.  Only the Ha is 5 nm.

Oh I see. I thought you were talking about all your filters, not just the Ha.

Register or login to create to post a reply.