NGC-7822 The last Image before Cancer treatments I would like to reach as many as possible on Astrobin AstroBin Platform open discussions community forum · Steve Argereow · ... · 23 · 446 · 0

sargereow 4.21
· 
·  8 likes
This is the same letter I have in the image.  My goal is not to get likes or the best astrophoto award my goal is to 
use this forum to educate as many people as possible about Prostrate Cancer. and thank everyone for the
support you've given me!

Men, especially men 40+ read my story!

I'm 70 years old, I've run nine 26.2 mile marathons and a triathon plus hundreds of road races.  I trained
and taught Marial arts for 20 years.  Today at 70 I'm on the local swim team and
swim between 10 and 15 kilometes a week.  I lift 3 times a week and walk everyday
with some light jogging to include HIIT. I am 5'7" tall and weight 148 lbs. I feel amazing,
at this stage of my life there is no stress, I have a loving wife, life is almost perfect!
      But I have one issue!  At night I have to get up several times a night to pee.  Sometimes 
at night I have very low flow and after I go I will have to go 15 minutes later. There's no pain
or blood in my urine.   Durning the daytime I usually have no issues.   I looked online and this 
is not uncommon for a man of  my age.  I get an annual checkup but my  doctor doesn't check PSA
 (Prostrate Specfic Antigen) so no big deal, I thought.
        I was watching a TV show about Dennis Hooper the actor, and he died from Prostrate Cancer.
The show called "Autopsy: started telling about his symptoms, and I thought damn!!!"  I have those 
exact same symptoms!  Well I got my PSA checked it should be around 2 -4 for someone my age
but it was 44.5 - I did a biopsy and then a PSMA PET Scan and I have an advanced stage IV prostrate
cancer that has spread to the the Pelvis, Kidney, one Rib, and Aorta.  If there is one good thing that
can come from this I can educate as many men as possible and I feel it's my calling.

Every Year in the US about 250,000 men are diagnosed and 25,000 to 33,000 die from it each year.
1 in 7 men will get it in their lifetime.  I've heard Dr Peter Attia say: "every man in America over 60
will die with Prostrate Cancer.  The trick is did you die from it or with it!"

If you don't believe how serious this is go to wikipedia and lookup famous men who have died from
Prostrate Cancer.  It's a long, long, Long list.  Actor Ben Stiller at age 46 recently found out he had it!

My point is: get your PSA checked, if it's flagged high make an appointment with an Urologist.  One
of my neighbors PC physian checked it and yes it was high at 17 but did not recommend having it checked
out by a Urologist,  he eventually did and yes he had the cancer.  Be proactive with your health
so you can do Astrophotography for a long time!  Don't be a dummy like me and wait, if you get the disease
while it's contained in the prostrate it is much easier to treat.  Studies have shown if you don't drink or
smoke, eat right, execise have a BMI of 23 your chances of getting the disease are the same as someone who
doesn't execise drinks, smokes and has a BMI of 35.  The crazy thing is 95% percent of the time you have
this cancer you'll feel great.  Right now I do, but thats about to change, if I would have detected it earlier
I could have had surgery and been back to normal in 6 weeks.  Now, I'll have to go though 2 years of therapy,
and chemo.  The Therapy is the same as sex change therapy, I don't want a sex change, so weight
lifting will be critical to maintain a musculine body.  However, both therapy and chem are going to increase
my fatigue and make it that much harder.  My doctor said I can still live another 10 years so it's not all 
bad, it depends if the cancer returns after treatment.

As for me I've been training for this fight my whole life and I am ready.  In a couple of days I'll be starting
ADT Therapy and Chemo early next year.    I still hope I can do AP but this may slow me down
but, just a little but"Screw Cancer"!
AccidentalAstronomers 10.92
· 
·  4 likes
I'm so sorry to read this. Our bodies and our lives are so fragile and subject to so many failings. I'm 65 and have had challenges with my health as well. I've been monitoring the prostate situation closely and so far, so good. But each day is amazing and I do my best to treat it as such. My heartfelt best wishes to you. Please keep us informed of your progress and let us know if there's something we can do. Keep looking up!

Peace,
Tim
sargereow 4.21
· 
·  1 like
Thanks Tim!
DalePenkala 15.85
· 
·  4 likes
Steve my thoughts and prayers 🙏🏻 to you sir! You got this, stay positive, you will beat it! 

Praying for you 🙏🏻

Dale
afettoxiulong@gmail.com 1.20
· 
·  4 likes
I really have to thank you for this post! I'm wishing the best to U and praying everything is going to be good and well for U!!! Hugging strongly from Italy and wishing clearest of clearest clearest skies!!!!! Stefano
Xeebok 3.71
· 
·  5 likes
I lack the words to respond to this, I'm deeply moved and very sorry to hear this, and I applaud you for sharing this. Wishing you strength and support as you proceed with your treatment journey. Your "Screw Cancer" attitude is powerful. You got this, stay positive, keep fighting, and know that your will and attitude will make a difference.

May you have the strength and resilience to overcome this.
Edited ...
MikeF29 11.33
· 
·  3 likes
Thank you for your courage to share this.  I know this will help other people and your generosity in the face of your own battle is an inspiration.

I wish you the best in this journey and I for one will consult with my doctor as a direct result of reading your message.

Prayers to you...
jwmatt65 1.43
· 
·  3 likes
I wish the best outcome for you Steve. Your are in good shape and that will help with treatment and overcoming the cancer. I had a PSA of 3.5 in August 2022, my family doctor said I should have a Urologist check it out just in case.  The Urologist suggested a biopsy of my prostate.  I am glad I listened to her and my urologist, otherwise I would have ignored the symptoms.  Turns out the biopsy showed cancer mainly in the left side of my Prostate.  I could have decided on radiation or a radical prostatectomy, I chose the prostatectomy and I am glad I did.   It is a life changing experience and subsequent PSA tests show my PSA  less than 0.03, so far I do not need further treatment.   So I hope that your treatment rids your body of cancer.
sargereow 4.21
· 
·  2 likes
Hi Joe,

Glad things are working out for you, Let's hope your PSA stays at it's current level or below.
I hope I can compete with level in the future!
sargereow 4.21
· 
·  2 likes
Dale Penkala:
Steve my thoughts and prayers 🙏🏻 to you sir! You got this, stay positive, you will beat it! 

Praying for you 🙏🏻

Dale

*** Thanks Dale,

I will beat it and I wish I had your observatory!

Steve A.
DalePenkala 15.85
· 
·  2 likes
Steve Argereow:
Dale Penkala:

Praying for you 🙏🏻

Dale

*** Thanks Dale,

I will beat it and I wish I had your observatory!

Steve A.

You will beat it and your welcome here anytime sir!

Dale
AstroDan500 4.67
· 
·  5 likes
Steve,
As someone who has a daughter with stage 4 cancer and is now going on 8 years cancer free and a wife who is 3 years out from Colon cancer and cancer free,
My advice is  to PUSH and PUSH the medical system to get the right treatments and get it timely.
You have to be your own advocate, no one cares as much as you do.
Stay positive and never take NO for an answer regarding timely treatment and the right treatment for you.
rveregin 6.65
· 
·  4 likes
All my best wishes and prayers are with you Steve! My doctor asked me to make an appointment for a PSA test recently based on my age, so I will certainly follow through. 
Rick
udeuterm
· 
·  5 likes
From all of my heart, I wish you all the best Steve! From what I read you are the person who will be able to beat this, won't be easy, but you can do it! And thank you so much to share this in order to help everybody else, this is a spirit that not many people have, so meaningful, so gracious. I will follow your recommendation! All my thoughts for you, I want to see more wonderful images from you here on AB.
Uwe
messierman3000 4.02
· 
·  1 like
Dan Kearl:
My advice is  to PUSH and PUSH the medical system to get the right treatments and get it timely.

I want to add to this advice. Watch out for the occasional evil doctor and lazy/inexperienced doctor. Try out water fasting or at least read the benefits of it.

EDIT: also don't take any drug that starts with the word "Cipro-" (I heard they can be prescribed for prostrate cancer), because it can destroy your tendons (not exaggerating).
Edited ...
mxcoppell 8.31
· 
·  1 like
Thanks for sharing, Steve! You will beat it!
sargereow 4.21
· 
·  1 like
Thanks Min!
sargereow 4.21
· 
Dan Kearl:

I want to add to this advice. Watch out for the occasional evil doctor and lazy/inexperienced doctor. Try out water fasting or at least read the benefits of it.

EDIT: also don't take any drug that starts with the word "Cipro-" (I heard they can be prescribed for prostrate cancer), because it can destroy your tendons (not exaggerating).

*** I've been doing a low Carb no sugar diet with prolong and IF for about 2 years now,  I also do 20 minutes of Sauna and Cold Plunges 4 times a week.
My started before this my diet before this was the Standard American Diet (SAD) diet if I only new then.

Thanks Dan,
sargereow 4.21
· 
·  1 like
Rick Veregin:
All my best wishes and prayers are with you Steve! My doctor asked me to make an appointment for a PSA test recently based on my age, so I will certainly follow through. 
Rick

*** Good Deal Rick!  That my whole point in telling this story.
messierman3000 4.02
· 
·  1 like
Steve Argereow:

I want to clarify what exactly I meant. I misunderstood that everything that starts with "Cipro" causes tendon ruptures (sorry). I meant fluoroquinolones can cause tendon damage. Take a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joXznzIrB9c

Youtuber Chubbyemu also talks about it. Sorry if I look like I keep insisting that you know about this, but people who get the side effect suffer a lot and are mostly bedridden and I cannot keep quiet.
sargereow 4.21
· 
Timothy Martin:
I'm so sorry to read this. Our bodies and our lives are so fragile and subject to so many failings. I'm 65 and have had challenges with my health as well. I've been monitoring the prostate situation closely and so far, so good. But each day is amazing and I do my best to treat it as such. My heartfelt best wishes to you. Please keep us informed of your progress and let us know if there's something we can do. Keep looking up!

Peace,
Tim

*** Thanks Tim,
sargereow 4.21
· 
·  1 like
Stefano Zamblera:
I really have to thank you for this post! I'm wishing the best to U and praying everything is going to be good and well for U!!! Hugging strongly from Italy and wishing clearest of clearest clearest skies!!!!! Stefano

*** Thanks Stefano,

Huggs from Italy are accepted!!
sargereow 4.21
· 
·  1 like
Uwe Deutermann:
From all of my heart, I wish you all the best Steve! From what I read you are the person who will be able to beat this, won't be easy, but you can do it! And thank you so much to share this in order to help everybody else, this is a spirit that not many people have, so meaningful, so gracious. I will follow your recommendation! All my thoughts for you, I want to see more wonderful images from you here on AB.
Uwe

*** Thanks Uwe,

Cancer picked the wrong person; I will beat it!
sargereow 4.21
· 
Dan Kearl:
Steve,
As someone who has a daughter with stage 4 cancer and is now going on 8 years cancer free and a wife who is 3 years out from Colon cancer and cancer free,
You have to be your own advocate, no one cares as much as you do.
Stay positive and never take NO for an answer regarding timely treatment and the right treatment for you.

*** Thanks Dan,
     I'll say a prayer that both your wife and daughter stay cancer free!

Register or login to create to post a reply.