Macintosh version PixInsight non-responsive Pleiades Astrophoto PixInsight · Tom Boyd · ... · 20 · 1171 · 0

tboyd1802 3.34
· 
Gang,

I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem. Brand new to me today. I'm running the latest version of 1.8.9-2 PixInsight on a Mac Mini. Not much memory, but I've had no problems in the past. Hardware has not changed.

I closed out a session of PixInsight to begin processing a new data set. The session that I closed out ran with no problems. Started new session and discovered that when I tried to start WBPP PixInsight would simply hang (i.e., after a long period of time I looked at the "Force Quit" and found PixInsight was "Not Responding"). Tried various things to address problem (e.g., restarted PixInsight and tried again, rebooted machine, updated operating system software, etc.). Eventually I downloaded a new copy and reinstalled from scratch. Download works, PixInsight initializes and starts. I can open images, and processes, still hangs when I try to open WBPP. In addition, when I now attempt to download repository packages, PixInsight hangs randomly after downloading a package or two. 

Here is the beginning of my error report to PixInsight. Any thoughts?

Date/Time:        2023-11-18 13:52:52.792 -0700
End time:         2023-11-18 14:06:01.210 -0700
OS Version:       macOS 14.1.1 (Build 23B81)
Architecture:     arm64e
Report Version:   44
Incident Identifier: FAE4578D-A777-4794-9B48-40A8AE0A8C6D

Data Source:      Stackshots
Shared Cache:     80DD42B3-8A52-3CAF-9848-54A1C2732864 slid base address 0x1885b4000, slide 0x85b4000 (System Primary)
Shared Cache:     91485832-85C6-3B3D-899A-FAFF367D2B1B slid base address 0x18fbe0000, slide 0xfbe0000 (DriverKit)
Shared Cache:     67C86F0B-DD40-3694-909D-52E210CBD5FA slid base address 0x7ff80b828000, slide 0xb828000 (Rosetta)

Command:          PixInsight
Path:             /Applications/PixInsight/PixInsight.app/Contents/MacOS/PixInsight
Identifier:       software.pleiades.PixInsight
Version:          1.8.9-2 (1.8.9-2)
Team ID:          DVX5WE77BM
Is First Party:   No
Architecture:     x86_64 (translated)
Parent:           launchd [1]
PID:              1276
Time Since Fork:  1268s

Event:            hang
Duration:         788.42s
Duration Sampled: 1.60s (process was unresponsive for 787 seconds before sampling)
Steps:            16 (100ms sampling interval)

Hardware model:   Macmini9,1
Active cpus:      8
HW page size:     16384
VM page size:     16384

Time Since Boot:  667s
Time Awake Since Boot: 667s
Time Since Wake:  n/a (machine hasn't slept)

Fan speed:        1696 rpm
Total CPU Time:   2.706s (6.6G cycles, 17.0G instructions, 0.39c/i)
Advisory levels:  Battery -> 2, User -> 2, ThermalPressure -> 0, Combined -> 2
Free disk space:  1096.62 GB/1858.19 GB, low space threshold 3072 MB
Vnodes Available: 25.94% (64636/249137)

Launchd throttled processes:
  system/com.symantec.nav.uninstall.EnglishESD throttled after ex: throttled samples 1-16

Preferred User Language: en-US
Country Code:     US
Keyboards:        U.S., Dvorak
OS Cryptex File Extents: 1
tboyd1802 3.34
· 
·  1 like
Hmmm, problem fixed???

Well, I made progress. I was able to reload the repositories by doing them one at a time. WBPP does in fact start up - even though the mac operating system is reporting as "Not Responding." It just takes a long, long time to start up...
Bennich 1.91
· 
·  1 like
Have you asked in the Pixinsight forum?

I’m on the same version on a Macbook M2 and have not met this particular issue.
sansari 0.00
· 
·  1 like
No problem here. I have the same setup:

MacOS: Sonoma 14.1.1 (Mac Studio)
PixInsight: 1.8.9-2

Ran a WBPP on 688 frames: Time lapse: 10 mins
jmfordice 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Tom,

I am running Sonoma 14.1.1 on my Mac Studio. PixInsight version is 1.8.9-2 Ripley build 1588. WBPP has been opening slowly for the last couple of weeks but it does open and then operates normally. 

I think this issue is due to Sonoma just like the problem with Blink not being able to open a file. I Blink my files on my windows laptop as a workaround.

Hopefully the incompatibility between PixInsight and Sonoma will be resolved soon.

Jim
tboyd1802 3.34
· 
Thanks all...

Christen - No I haven't reported to the PixInsight forum yet. But, will probably do so...
Jim - Roger, I too have noticed things opening more slowly than I remember. And indeed, once open WBPP worked as expected. So, you may be right it's a Sonoma issue.

Thanks again all...

Tom
johnrsims43 0.90
· 
I’m running newest MacOS, but have not upgraded to newest version of Pixinsight on Mac Studio.
No problems.
jmfordice 0.00
· 
·  2 likes
John,

Yes, there is some incompatibility between Sonoma and PixInsight 1.8.9-2. 1.8.9-2 works fine under other operating systems just not with Sonoma. 

Jim
dean.carr 0.00
· 
·  1 like
You may wish to take a close look at the PixInsight Configuration settings (.ini) file to see whether it is related to your problem.  I have found that on my (Windows) system, after a while, the file can fill with a large number of settings associated with WBPP; they generally start with ‘ScriptData\WeightedBatchPreprocessing\ …’ .  You could consider editing the file, but I found simply deleting the configuration file fixed the problem on my system, albeit all preferences needed to be reset.

On a Windows system, the file would at: 'C:\Users\Orion\AppData\Roaming\Pleiades\PixInsight.ini'.  Not sure on a Mac.

Dean
Edited ...
johnrsims43 0.90
· 
·  1 like
Jim Fordice:
John,

Yes, there is some incompatibility between Sonoma and PixInsight 1.8.9-2. 1.8.9-2 works fine under other operating systems just not with Sonoma. 

Jim,

Thanks Jim,
Glad I have not yet updated. My only reason to stay with the previous versions has to do with the EZ Scripts. I find that EZDenoise ocassionslly works better than NoiseX, and restoring the EZ Scripts can be a bit of a pain now that they are no longer supported. So, guess I'll give it some time before i update.
John
Edited ...
Roy-Hagen 10.10
· 
Enough storage space on the hard drive?

Roy
tboyd1802 3.34
· 
Dean Carr:
You may wish to take a close look at the PixInsight Configuration settings (.ini) file to see whether it is related to your problem.  I have found that on my (Windows) system, after a while, the file can fill with a large number of settings associated with WBPP; they generally start with ‘ScriptData\WeightedBatchPreprocessing\ …’ .  You could consider editing the file, but I found simply deleting the configuration file fixed the problem on my system, albeit all preferences needed to be reset.

On a Windows system, the file would at: 'C:\Users\Orion\AppData\Roaming\Pleiades\PixInsight.ini'.  Not sure on a Mac.

Dean

Thank you. I will definitely check that out...
tboyd1802 3.34
· 
Roy Hagen:

Roy

Yeah, over a terabyte...
Roy-Hagen 10.10
· 
Tom Boyd:
Roy Hagen:

Roy

Yeah, over a terabyte...=14px

You need at least 200-300 GB of free space when you run the pre-processing in WBPP.
I am using an external disc for this purpose
Marcelof 4.52
· 
·  1 like
As already mentioned there is a relatively widespread conflict (there are numerous reports in the PI forum) between Sonoma and the latest version of PI and this time it seems to have nothing to do with Macs Mx and Rosetta 2 emulation, as even Intel Macs have reported the problem.

Now the tricky thing to fix it is that the problem is very random and as also reported here not everyone has been affected. In fact PI developers have not been able to reproduce the problem.

By the way, I am using PI latest version, on a Mac mini M1 running Ventura without any problem. And no plans to upgrade any time soon.
Thommy78 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Roy Hagen:
Tom Boyd:
Roy Hagen:

Roy

Yeah, over a terabyte...=14px

You need at least 200-300 GB of free space when you run the pre-processing in WBPP.
I am using an external disc for this purpose

But keep in mind depend of the speed of external disk (which might be slow) this could dramatically slows down the process. My actual workflow I do normally on the internal disk and I got an external raid-system with 2 ssd and with thunderbolt to speed that thing up.
Edited ...
BryanHudson 1.20
· 
I found that the Mac version of Pixinsight does not run the same as on the windows version. The differences are minor, but present. It is something not acknowledged by the developers of PI. I suspect issues are not known and it is assumed that PI runs the same on the Mac platform. PI is a Windows first application.

I’m running Ventura on MacBook Pro M1 Max with 64 GB of ram.
I regard new Mac OS releases as beta until x.2
Edited ...
andreatax 7.72
· 
BryanHudson:
PI is a Windows first application

PI is a Linux-first application. From the horse's mouth...
BryanHudson 1.20
· 
andrea tasselli:
BryanHudson:
PI is a Windows first application

PI is a Linux-first application. From the horse's mouth...

I understand it’s core development in Linux.
I’m only speaking in relation to Windows and Mac. Users running Linux are a minuscule number.
Edited ...
rodolgo-outlook 0.90
· 
·  1 like
Hello
I run Sonoma on a MBP 16", 2023, M2 Max with 64 GB RAM and 2 TB SSD.
PI latest version runs like a charm on it.
Got Starnet2 successfully installed, also all scripts installed including the EZ Processing suite.
PixInsight Core 1.8.9-2 Ripley (x64) (build 1588 | 2023-10-19)Copyright (c) 2003-2023 Pleiades Astrophoto----------------------------------------------------------------------Welcome to PixInsight. Started 2023-11-20T11:46:15.332Z * Parallel processing enabled: Using 11 logical processors.* Maximum number of simultaneous open files: 12544.* WebView: GPU acceleration enabled.
griwei 0.00
· 
Just purchased an M3 MacBook Pro.  Pixinsight won't even start. I can see that an error message from the OS flashes upon opening, but it's obscured by PixInsight's opening information window... and then the program terminates.

Register or login to create to post a reply.