Top Pick & IoT - critics AstroBin Platform open discussions community forum · kv54 · ... · 29 · 1281 · 2

HegAstro 11.99
· 
·  3 likes
But without the income from the paying users, the site could not be run in that professional way. From this follows that they should determine the jury or vote for the IOTD. I do not say that this democratic process is a must, but I feel that the acceptance would be much higher then

Democratic systems have been tried in the past. There was a time, when Astrobin was small, where these badges and IOTD would be awarded purely based on likes. I guess that's as democratic as it gets! The imperfection of that system is obvious, so it was changed to judges, submitters, and reviewers, which is what it is today. The number of submitters and reviewers was enlarged about three years ago. Some questionable images were promoted as a result, which is why the system morphed into current where multiple reviewers/submitters have to promote images to earn a badge. Around the same time, there was an election for judges. That is the only site wide election I am aware of. I don't know what the current process of selecting judges is or how practical it would be to have an election for judges, submitters, and reviewers.

In general, I would not be harsh on submitters and reviewers. It is a time consuming job to go through several images day after day and select the top five in your queue. Most are simply doing the best they can to fit this into their schedule.  I think the bigger problem is with a system that judges images taken using vastly different equipment and conditions according to the same standard. Sure, Ayrton Senna can, on occasion, win a race with a Toyota Corolla, but I can tell you he won't be doing it often. I think change is possible and necessary, but I also think the current system works for people that have a lot invested in equipment and location, so there will be a natural resistance to doing things differently.
messierman3000 4.02
· 
·  1 like
Arun H:
There was a time, when Astrobin was small, where these badges and IOTD would be awarded purely based on likes

I think it was better that way.

(@andrea tasselli enters the chat)

---just a joke, couldn't resist it---
andreatax 7.90
· 
·  1 like
Arun H:
There was a time, when Astrobin was small, where these badges and IOTD would be awarded purely based on likes

I think it was better that way.

(@andrea tasselli enters the chat)

---just a joke, couldn't resist it---

Not really. Just passing by...
kv54 1.81
· 
·  1 like
Arun H:
But without the income from the paying users, the site could not be run in that professional way. From this follows that they should determine the jury or vote for the IOTD. I do not say that this democratic process is a must, but I feel that the acceptance would be much higher then

Democratic systems have been tried in the past. There was a time, when Astrobin was small, where these badges and IOTD would be awarded purely based on likes. I guess that's as democratic as it gets! The imperfection of that system is obvious, so it was changed to judges, submitters, and reviewers, which is what it is today. The number of submitters and reviewers was enlarged about three years ago. Some questionable images were promoted as a result, which is why the system morphed into current where multiple reviewers/submitters have to promote images to earn a badge. Around the same time, there was an election for judges. That is the only site wide election I am aware of. I don't know what the current process of selecting judges is or how practical it would be to have an election for judges, submitters, and reviewers.

In general, I would not be harsh on submitters and reviewers. It is a time consuming job to go through several images day after day and select the top five in your queue. Most are simply doing the best they can to fit this into their schedule.  I think the bigger problem is with a system that judges images taken using vastly different equipment and conditions according to the same standard. Sure, Ayrton Senna can, on occasion, win a race with a Toyota Corolla, but I can tell you he won't be doing it often. I think change is possible and necessary, but I also think the current system works for people that have a lot invested in equipment and location, so there will be a natural resistance to doing things differently.

Hi Arun,

thanks, your reply shows clearly that the democratic system is the best.

What we now found out, that the jury is not regularly legitimated by the community, a big mistake. Hence, the process is not democratic at all. I personally do not care about submitters and reviewers. They can quit if it's too much effort. There are lots of people eager to replace those who think they cannot do this job any more.

But: The community itself should take care for maximum transparency for IOTD. My goal is to fight against this system of small circles who decide what is on top today. It is not acceptable that the majority paying clients are not involved to determine the very prominent IOTD, this is not what I want as long as I am partly paying the infrastructure. Let us get back our old Astrobin again and see what will be the result. Here is what I suggest:

A member voting about image of the week or month. Only paying members weighted according to their payments should have the right for voting. All others, should stay away from this process.

BR,

Klaus

P:S. And please do not bother me with the private ownership of Astobin as some other participants of the discussion already try to.  If nobody pays anymore, then this site has no future. Hence the paying members should clearly rise up their voice and help changes getting done.
JohnHen 7.91
· 
·  2 likes
What we now found out, that the jury is not regularly legitimated by the community, a big mistake. Hence, the process is not democratic at all. I personally do not care about submitters and reviewers. They can quit if it's too much effort. There are lots of people eager to replace those who think they cannot do this job any more.

But: The community itself should take care for maximum transparency for IOTD. My goal is to fight against this system of small circles who decide what is on top today. It is not acceptable that the majority paying clients are not involved to determine the very prominent IOTD, this is not what I want as long as I am partly paying the infrastructure. Let us get back our old Astrobin again and see what will be the result. Here is what I suggest:

A member voting about image of the week or month. Only paying members weighted according to their payments should have the right for voting. All others, should stay away from this process.

BR,

Klaus

Hello Klaus,
may i point you to the following section https://welcome.astrobin.com/iotd#principles

" The Staff appointment process
Anybody who wants to take part of the process can apply by filling this online form. Once a year, the list of applicants is reviewed and the staff is replenished with viable candidates."

I believe the process is both transparent and open to any AB user.

Cheers
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.