Greetings from the Foothills in Yuma, Arizona Introduce yourself! · Andy Rusten · ... · 2 · 147 · 0

ATRusten
· 
Just rejoined the group after many years off. Im amazed at the advancement in photography. I have had scopes since i was 14 and im 65 now. Refractors, Dobs, and now i just picked up a nice older Celestron C8 SCT to dabble in astrophotography. Camera is a Canon EOS  40D 10MP and i have adaptors on the way. We moved to Yuma from central Oregon in March of '23 and are full time "Yumans" now. We were members of Night Sky 45 group in Salem Or for many years. Also, a pier in my back yard is in the future so I can run out at a moment's notice. Havent decided on how big a building yet...  Were between a Bortle 4 & 5 here light wise, so i can venture east into the desert pretty quickly if I need darker skies... Id love to find a group locally to hang with but there are no clubs in Yuma for Astronomy. So maybe a bunch of us need to get together and just do it!  Thanks for the likes on my project photos, its much appreciated...
Edited ...
jerryyyyy 9.03
· 
·  1 like
Hi,

Had family in AZ for a while down in Mesa but they are gone so have not been in the state for a while.  I started in this with a C8 and and EOS and was shocked I could get a few photos.  That led me to get a real camera...

Nowadays, prices are down and quality up.  You need a pier to do astrophotography.  I would put one in where you could build an observatory around it with a small dome or roll off roof. 

You will need a mount that you can guide with and the camera.  ZWO (the Chinese) are eating our lunch so you can get a cheap good CMOS from them and maybe try one of their cheaper mounts... they have the whole enchilada. 

This is how I would go if I wanted to start out.  But the C8 is just fine...after all my years I have a C11. 

JY
ATRusten
· 
Thanks Jerry. good encouragement, i have seen some ZWO for under $400.  makes more sense than a EOS for repetition shots to stack. i’m still green getting going. hope to find a mentor down here

Register or login to create to post a reply.