Can anyone identify this comet? Other · Brian Boyle · ... · 3 · 144 · 2

profbriannz 16.52
· 
·  1 like
Somewhat embarrassingly, I tripped over a comet last night as I was observing Field 224 in the Asotrobin Community Survey.  It makes quite a remarkable pairing with one of my favourite galaxies (NGC 300) and moves a bit during the course of 25 x 180sec frames taken with my Nikon 200 f/2 + ASI2400MC combo. 

FIist frame of the sequence [UT 1030]
comet_2336.jpg

Last frame [1150UT]

comet_0051.jpg

For a comet a long way from the sun, at a pretty high inclination to the plane it has rather good tail.  But when I went to look it up, I couldn't find it on any of the current lists [inthesky, stellarium].   No doubt I was looking in the wrong places.  

I know that I am exposing myself to ridicule by not being able to identify this obvious comet, but I am intrigued and no doubt my AB friends will be able to help me.
HotSkyAstronomy 2.62
· 
·  1 like
C2020 V2 ZTF is right next to NGC 300 at the moment. I myself was going to image that conjunction, but couldn't get a good guide star since I'm using an OAG. Good catch!
Edited ...
profbriannz 16.52
· 
·  1 like
V.M Legary:
C2020 V2 ZTF is right next to NGC 300 at the moment. I myself was going to image that conjunction, but couldn't get a good guide star since I'm using an OAG. Good catch!

Thanks so much V.M. It's a pity I only caught it with a 200mm focal length camera!

CS Brian
HotSkyAstronomy 2.62
· 
Brian Boyle:
V.M Legary:

Thanks so much V.M. It's a pity I only caught it with a 200mm focal length camera!

CS Brian

Still a lovely field of view.

Good work,

V

Register or login to create to post a reply.