Refractor and field flattener [Solar System] Acquisition techniques · Marc · ... · 1 · 147 · 0

Lasastard 3.10
· 
Good morning, 

apologies, haven't had my dose of caffeine yet, but I am wondering...

So I just ordered the new QHY III 715c to do some light planetary imaging with my Esprit 150 (6" APO). The camera is one of those small 1 1/4 " ones that you can attach like an eye piece. This is different from my usual deep sky routine where everything is M48 threaded and built around a field flattener or even flattener/reducer. 

Which makes me wonder.... do I need a flattener for planetary work on my refractor? I figured that the overall size of the planet is so small compared to the field, that it shouldn't matter. But I could be wrong...

This is particularly interesting since I cannot find a clean solution to adapt a 1 1/4" eye piece holder to a M48 threaded field flattener at the exact working distance ;) So I may have gotten myself the "wrong" kind of camera - or I am indeed correct and a flattener is simply not needed in this kind of setup?

Clear skies,
Marc
Edited ...
andreatax 7.90
· 
·  2 likes
There is no need of field flattener for planetary imaging (nor of coma corrector if using newtons).

Register or login to create to post a reply.