Ioptron Tri-Pier with Strain Wave Mounts iOptron Tri-Pier · Jeff Reitzel · ... · 5 · 422 · 5

Jeff_Reitzel 1.51
· 
·  2 likes
Possible Tri-Pier Solution for Strain Wave Mounts.
-I had a problem with the Tri-Pier flexing under unbalanced loads previously discussed with some other members here. It turned out to be the top plate moving in the pier. It was flexing up a noticeable amount opposite the scope. The top plate is only mounted to the pier with 3 small screws through the side that proved unable to solidly hold down the plate with an unbalanced load. I use 4 and 5 inch refractors as well as an EdgeHD 11 on mine. The mount is the Ioptron HAE 43EC.
-My Solution: The top plate has three 10mmx1.5 threaded holes for adding extensions that were not being used. I acquired a spare top plate to be fitted into the bottom of the pier.  I removed all the internal foam and plastic bottom that was originally in the tri-pier to store the leg extensions. I drilled out the 10mm threads on the plate to be installed on the bottom of the pier so 10mm threaded rod would just slide through. Now I have three 10mm threaded rods running through the pier. They are threaded into the top plate and bolted to the bottom plate holding everything together. The top plate is a little over an inch thick so there is plenty of thread engagement to hold it without stripping the threads. I also replaced the three small screws that originally held the top plate with larger ones. In the images I pointed out the larger screws I installed through the side. In that same image the green dot pointed out is the top of one of the threaded rods installed flush with the top plate.
-My Tri-Pier is rock solid now with my imaging loads. The only drawback is losing the internal storage for the leg extensions. They fit just fine in the storage case around the folded tri-pier anyway. If you wanted to use the HAE mount pier extension this idea would still work perfectly by extending the length of the threaded rod to go through the base of the extension. That particular extension is designed to use the same 10mm holes. Everything would be bolted together the same way. Possibly better because you could use hex nuts on both ends of the threaded rod that way instead of depending on the aluminum thread for one end. It just won't fit in it's storage case with the extension installed. Hope it helps if any of you have a similar issue. 
Tri_Pier Top.jpgTri-Pier Bottom.jpgTri_Pier Plate.jpg
Supro 3.81
· 
·  1 like
I actually had the same issue with my tri-pier (even on a balanced load). I was seeing odd shifts in guiding that looked like it got wind gusts only on Dec axis. I did a similar fix as well. (not as thorough as yours, but it's solid now) 

thanks for sharing!
Gary.JONES 5.77
· 
·  1 like
Hi Jeff & Nick,
I was very pleased to see your post ...

I also have a tri-pier, and have been perplexed by weird oscillations in RA & Dec that don't appear to the related to guiding.

I always felt that those 3 tiny screws were woefully inadequate - I will try your suggestions to do something much more solid.

Cheers,

GaryPeriodic Error ?.jpg
limeyx 1.20
· 
·  1 like
Gary JONES:
Hi Jeff & Nick,
I was very pleased to see your post ...

I also have a tri-pier, and have been perplexed by weird oscillations in RA & Dec that don't appear to the related to guiding.

I always felt that those 3 tiny screws were woefully inadequate - I will try your suggestions to do something much more solid.

Cheers,

GaryPeriodic Error ?.jpg

I have been having similar issues. This is really interesting. Going to have to see if I can rig something up too as I have exhausted other avenues. Disappointing if it's true. My payload is light ~15 pounds but similar-looking graphs
Gary.JONES 5.77
· 
·  1 like
Hi Nick,
Thats very interesting - please let us know how things turn out

Gary
Edited ...
Jeff_Reitzel 1.51
· 
·  1 like
Hi guys. Glad to see this idea is possibly helpful. That certainly is a design problem with the tri-pier. I haven't had the chance to image on mine after the mod just yet. I did use it for visual at a star party and the go-to accuracy was dramatically improved. Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with using different mounts. Hopefully it cures the issues we were seeing with guiding.
CS,
Jeff

Register or login to create to post a reply.