Screen shots of my specific Edge HD 8 Collimation issue Celestron EdgeHD 8" · Michael W. Dean · ... · 30 · 717 · 7

TucsonGazer 0.00
· 
Michael W. Dean:
Dustin Gazz:
Do you need a measurement

Ah, my bad. Last time we chatted, you mentioned back focus. 

I like that hex nut idea. I was advised to not use Bob's Knobs, but those look like they could be the ticket.
BipTunia 1.81
· 
Dustin Gazz:
Michael W. Dean:
Dustin Gazz:
Do you need a measurement

Ah, my bad. Last time we chatted, you mentioned back focus. 

I like that hex nut idea. I was advised to not use Bob's Knobs, but those look like they could be the ticket.

Bob's work, but several people have said that the columnation doesn't stay as long as with the stock screws (which are hard to control because Philips head). I think Hex might be the best of both worlds, easy to use with high granularity (due to leverage from hex nut), and hopefully hold the line.

When you were advised to not use Bob's Knobs, what did the person say, and had they used them?
Edited ...
astro-mat 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Clearly the fine tuning with the leverage is nice. Also less chances to rip with the Philips screwdriver and damage the schmidt plate!
BipTunia 1.81
· 
Clearly the fine tuning with the leverage is nice. Also less chances to rip with the Philips screwdriver and damage the schmidt plate!

Yup. I mean you could technically scratch it with a hex wrench, but unlikely. With the phillips you're pointing at it and if you slip you probably ARE going to scratch it. 
My hex set is nice, was cheap on Amazon, is both metric and UK, and has an extender handle for all the wrenches so you can get about 10 inches of torque.
TucsonGazer 0.00
· 
Michael W. Dean:
=14pxAh, my bad. Last time we chatted, you mentioned back focus.

Bob's work, but several people have said that the columnation doesn't stay as long as with the stock screws (which are hard to control because Philips head). I think Hex might be the best of both worlds, easy to use with high granularity (due to leverage from hex nut), and hopefully hold the line.

When you were advised to not use Bob's Knobs, what did the person say, and had they used them?

Right, that's why the guys at Starizona advised me not to get them. 

Just saw this by the way on another site......"Please note that these collimation knobs are not compatible with the Celestron 8" EdgeHD model or older SCT models that use SAE threads."

Those hex nuts looked pitched.
Edited ...
BipTunia 1.81
· 
(I made a double post by accident and can't find a place to delete a post when I edit it.)
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.