[RCC] sh2-155 Requests for constructive critique · Astro Candy · ... · 6 · 145 · 0

This topic contains a poll.
Is this image oversharpened
Yes
No
AstroCandy 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Hi there,

First time using the RCC thread. I've just completed a 21 hour Cave Nebula in SHO. Details and image here:

https://www.astrobin.com/jvtcv8/

This was processed using a starless workflow in PI using Bill Blanshan's unlinked stretch then GHS to make some minor adjustments to black point.  my focus was to bring out the dark dust lanes as best as possible whilst also keeping noise in check.

I sharpened this image using a combination of unsharp mask in PS, BXT and the detail slider in NXT.

If I'm being completely honest, this is more than I usually sharpen and absolutely as far as I'd be comfortable doing so. But I'm interested to hear what some more experienced imagers have to say on that. 

I'm six months into the hobby and have now been imaging in mono narrowband for about 4 months.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Chris

Edited ...
lskov 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Hi Chris

I won't call myself and "experienced imager" by any means but I think this is really about personal preference. I'm guilty of sometime sharpening a bit too much using BXT - but I always try to aim for something that looks somewhat "natural" (whatever that really means when we're taking narrowband).

I think your image looks really really great - but I would personally sharpen a bit less so it's not so obvious that BXT was used. But again - it's about personal preference
Edited ...
dkamen 6.89
· 
·  1 like
I like it.
AstroTrucker 6.05
· 
·  1 like
Hi Chris,

The image looks great. I like the sharpness (as you say), however, I think you were a touch heavy on the LHE (Dark structure enhancement), if your using PixInsight...

I run NXT between 15 and 25 on the bottom slider.
BXT I leave the top slider at default and move the Reduce halo slider anywhere  between 0 and -24, usually around -12ish. the bottom section is default.

Try LHE to help enhance the dark structure

Its a nebula. It should be softer than a lunar, solar or planetary image. If the subject supports a lot of sharpness go for it. I would not increase it any further with this image.

Hope this helps

CS Tim
AstroCandy 0.00
· 
Lasse Skov:
Hi Chris

I won't call myself and "experienced imager" by any means but I think this is really about personal preference. I'm guilty of sometime sharpening a bit too much using BXT - but I always try to aim for something that looks somewhat "natural" (whatever that really means when we're taking narrowband).

I think your image looks really really great - but I would personally sharpen a bit less so it's not so obvious that BXT was used. But again - it's about personal preference

Thanks Lasse, for sure I will do a revision with less sharpening.
AstroCandy 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Tim Ray:
Hi Chris,

The image looks great. I like the sharpness (as you say), however, I think you were a touch heavy on the LHE (Dark structure enhancement), if your using PixInsight...

I run NXT between 15 and 25 on the bottom slider.
BXT I leave the top slider at default and move the Reduce halo slider anywhere  between 0 and -24, usually around -12ish. the bottom section is default.

Try LHE to help enhance the dark structure

Its a nebula. It should be softer than a lunar, solar or planetary image. If the subject supports a lot of sharpness go for it. I would not increase it any further with this image.

Hope this helps

CS Tim

Thanks Tim, never used LHE so I'll give that a go. Cheers for your BXT and NXT suggestions. Have you had any luck with "sharpen non-stellar then stellar" in BXT?
AstroTrucker 6.05
· 
I have played with that setting in BXT. When I did play, I saw no difference with it checked or not. So I left it default and left it unchecked. I might not have had data that benefitted from that option. I don't know. However, Play!!!! If you see a change or an improvement, go with it...

CS Tim

Register or login to create to post a reply.