Problem with TPPA in NINA Stefan Berg Nighttime Imaging 'N' Astronomy (N.I.N.A. / NINA) · Santiago Rodrigo · ... · 28 · 1394 · 5

Santi_Astro 0.00
· 
Frédéric Ruciak:
Hi Santiago,
just check twice that your mount is tracking at the good sidereal rate. I remember once with NINA having encountered this strange feeling that the error on TPPA was increasing and it was partially true: my mount was not tracking so NINA assuming it was tracking the polar alignement error was increasing.

Frédéric

Thanks for your answer Frédéric, I have got motors that are controlled by the camera ZWO, so the unique form that i have to adjust its velocity is with its controller, and its always in 0.5x which is the same value that I entered in ASTAP.
BBRAUNCCP 0.90
· 
Santiago Rodrigo:
Frédéric Ruciak:
Hi Santiago,
just check twice that your mount is tracking at the good sidereal rate. I remember once with NINA having encountered this strange feeling that the error on TPPA was increasing and it was partially true: my mount was not tracking so NINA assuming it was tracking the polar alignement error was increasing.

Frédéric

Thanks for your answer Frédéric, I have got motors that are controlled by the camera ZWO, so the unique form that i have to adjust its velocity is with its controller, and its always in 0.5x which is the same value that I entered in ASTAP.

Hi Santiago,
I think you may be referring to your guide rate when you say that it is always 0.5x. This is very different from your tracking rate which is the way that your right ascension axis is moving to track the rotation of the Earth. The polar alignment routine in N.I.N.A. is expecting you to be tracking and isn’t concerned with your guide rate. Your guide rate has more to do with the corrections that are being made by your auto guiding. I think what Frederick was referring to was that the three-point polar alignment routine is expecting your mount to be tracking the sky rather than being stopped. If your mount is stopped & not tracking, you will get incorrect results from the polar alignment routine. 
Best,
Bruce
Edited ...
Santi_Astro 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Santiago Rodrigo:
Frédéric Ruciak:
Hi Santiago,

Frédéric

Hi Santiago,
I think you may be referring to your guide rate when you say that it is always 0.5x. This is very different from your tracking rate which is the way that your right ascension axis is moving to track the rotation of the Earth. The polar alignment routine in N.I.N.A. is expecting you to be tracking and isn’t concerned with your guide rate. Your guide rate has more to do with the corrections that are being made by your auto guiding. I think what Frederick was referring to was that the three-point polar alignment routine is expecting your mount to be tracking the sky rather than being stopped. If your mount is stopped & not tracking, you will get incorrect results from the polar alignment routine. 
Best,
Bruce

Thanks for your reply Bruce,

The mount is tracking at the same speed as it tracks in other places where I can point it at the polar and avoiding the TPPA, and also is the same speed used in the first step (taking the 3 calibration photos).
ishtiaqahmed9834 0.90
· 
·  1 like
Santiago Rodrigo:
Hello everyone!
Yesterday I made my first attempt at polar alignment with the Three Point Polar Alignment plugin using my NEQ 3-2 mount with motors (no go-to) and the ZWO462MC PRO camera with the ZWO 30/120 guide tube. With this equipment I had to use the manual method.

I had previously configured the ASTAP application with the D50 catalogue, but during the process I had problems solving both the first 3 recognition images and the images it takes in a loop showing my alignment error. The problem is that not always ASTAP can solve the photo, trying it in a loop until I move a bit more de AR axis.

This problem increases the time it takes to get the first three detection images, but I manage to get them by moving the AR axis a little more after several attempts. However, in the error correction phase this problem makes it impossible for me to correct this error as I have to move the sleeves around to get the image and this changes the error.

I am including a screenshot in case anyone sees an error, and so you can judge the quality of the photo. I always try to show more than 30 stars with photos of about 10 seconds exposure. This test was taken from my balcony and there is a lot of light pollution, so maybe that is the problem...

IMG-20230807-WA0000.jpg

I can give you any other information you need.

Thank you very very much!

Hey!

Ahmad here, and I totally feel your frustrations with polar alignment. I've dabbled with similar setups in the past and faced some similar challenges. The ZWO462MC PRO is a solid camera, and the NEQ 3-2 is a robust mount. However, polar alignment can be a tricky process, especially in light-polluted areas.

Based on your description, a few things come to mind:

Light Pollution: This can be a significant factor when you're trying to get a clear image for alignment. Even with a 10-second exposure, the light pollution might be washing out some of the fainter stars that ASTAP needs to solve the image.

Image Clarity: It might be worth checking if the images you're capturing are clear and not blurred due to any focus or movement issues. A blurred or slightly out-of-focus image might give ASTAP a hard time solving.

ASTAP Settings: Ensure you've set the correct parameters in ASTAP for your equipment and observing conditions. A misconfigured parameter might result in failed image solving.

Star Saturation: Overexposing the brighter stars might create issues. Try to ensure that the stars aren't overexposed in your images.

Mount Movement: Any movement, even slight, can affect the alignment process. Ensure the mount is stable, and there's no play or backlash causing the movement.

Looking at a screenshot would definitely help, but I'm afraid I can't directly view images through this platform. However, I'd suggest comparing your images to solved ones available online or in ASTAP forums to gauge if there's a significant difference in quality.

Polar alignment can indeed be a time-consuming process initially, but with practice, it gets more manageable. I hope you find these suggestions helpful, and wishing you clear goku tu skies ahead!

Man, I can relate to the polar alignment woes. The ZWO462MC PRO is solid, and so is the NEQ 3-2, but getting them to dance together during alignment can be a real headache sometimes, right?

I had a similar experience in my backyard, and let me tell you, the light pollution is no joke. Messes with the best of us. A 10-second exposure should get you something, but if your skies are too washed out, it's like searching for a needle in a haystack.

I found messing around with ASTAP settings helped a bit. Make sure you're inputting the right focal length, pixel size, etc. Also, take a good look at your captured images. Are they crisp? Even a tiny bit of blur could throw ASTAP off.

Register or login to create to post a reply.