Help! All of a sudden my brand new Sky-Watcher EQM-35 mount doesn't turn Sky-Watcher EQM-35 · GalactoseIntolerant · ... · 15 · 701 · 2

GalactoseIntolerant 0.00
· 
I got the mount today and when I first tested it inside everything was perfectly fine, I could manually control the motors and automatically.
But then I moved the mount outside to test it further and when i plugged the power supply in again, turned it on, adjusted the settings just like before and picked the same target to automatically go to, it just didn't.
I heard the motors working and it sounded like they were moving at overdrive. Moving like a few milimetres at most and then that was it. I just don't get it at all. All I did was unplug the power supply and moved it outside in the same orientation for just 5 metres. And suddenly the motors don't drive anymore.

Any help is needed, thx
andreatax 7.90
· 
Have you checked that the clutches are engaged?
GalactoseIntolerant 0.00
· 
What do you mean by engaged?
andreatax 7.90
· 
It means they are closed down so that the mount isn't free to move just by hand. If that is the case then I can only suggest you open the motor enclosure and see whether the gears/pulleys are actually moving.
PhilosaurAstro 0.00
· 
What do you mean by engaged?

Clutches must be closed so that you can hardly move it manually
afettoxiulong@gmail.com 1.20
· 
Please double check that both axis clutches are closed or mount can't move. 
released them 'till you can smoothly move your setup on both axis, put your mount at "home" position and then close both clutches properly. 
with eqm35 if you don't use any device like asiair or astroberry, you also have to perform star alignment before proceeding to any target by goto hope this might help. This mount imho is simply fantastic! shopping.jpeg
messierman3000 4.02
· 
This was happening to my AVX mount, the clutches were not engaged (in my case, they are two small black handles; one close to the DEC motor and one close to the RA motor).
It was making a rough whirring sound, but not doing anything, it moved a little sometimes on one axis because one clutch was engaged more than the other. I was about to sell the mount, because I thought it was defective.
51+pX6o3fIL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
dkamen 6.89
· 
Perhaps the cable between RA and main unit has been detached, taking DEC connectivity with it. Only symptom would be motors refusing to do anything. If the motors are making noise but nothing is moving, then it's probably the above (clutches).
GalactoseIntolerant 0.00
· 
·  2 likes
Problem solved! Turns out that my power supply is broken. Why did I not think about that?☠️

Thx for all the replies though.
afettoxiulong@gmail.com 1.20
· 
Problem solved! Turns out that my power supply is broken. Why did I not think about that?☠️

Thx for all the replies though.

*** happy to know you solved ! Enjoy this beautiful mount and wishing clear skies ***
astrophotosteve 4.67
· 
·  1 like
I have great experience as an EQM-35 fighter.  First, let me say that I could not live without the ASIAir that I use to run it for astrophotography -- it is ike one stop shopping for all you need instead of browsing for compatible components in specialty boutiques (e.g polar alignment, telescope control, camera control, data storage, scripted imaging runs, and guiding).  That said, ASIAir has a guding error readout (based on internal phd2 algorithms) and it showed me that I could get a total error of around 3-4 arc sec with the mount out of the box (and that was with very picky polar alignment).  Then when really cold winter nights (like -10 C) came into play, tracking became really problematic and guiding error worsened considerably.  Long story short, the EQM-35 has plain surface bearings (no rollers of any kind, just cylindrical inner and outer sleeves that spin one within the other with surface contact).  Greasing such a bearing system is of paramount importance for proper performance -- assuming a properly adjusted compression force pressing the cylinders into one another, grease allows for the necessary sliding freedom. The type and amount of grease really matter.  A little online research revealed that many EQM-35 owners had mounts that were improperly greased -- too little, too much or grease that had become like glue.  The fix is to disassemble everything and re-grease the bearings.  There are videos by users that show how to do this, but it is not a task to be undertaken lightly.  Then there is also the issue of correct pressure between the gears in the drive system that has to be considered in seeking anything close to sub-arcsec guiding.  Right now, I'm getting about 1.5 to 2 arc sec total error in guiding, which is serviceable when using the wide field corrector that comes with the scope for astrophotography.  There are a number of upgrade drive kits out there that you can install to get better tracking for improved astrophotographic quality.  I say all of the foregoing just to give you a heads-up if the issues start occurring.

Clear Skies,

Steve
SickL 0.00
· 
·  1 like
A bit off topic, but complementing Steve's comment: I own my EQM-35 for like 5 years now, and out of the box it showed quite erratic behaviour. Guiding was excellent at times (0,5" total error), but there were regular hickups that ruined almost half of my subframes. After being serviced at a local astro shop, where the grease  was replaced by proper stuff and the gears were adjusted, it runs like a charm. Average total error with a payload of 3 kg is around 0,6" - 0,8", with 6-7 kg it is more like 1". No more hickups. Hence, my advice to every EQM-35 user is changing the grease and readjust the gears.

cs, Lutz.
Edited ...
jml79 3.87
· 
·  1 like
SickL has some fantastic numbers. After a few teardowns, re-grease, tweaks and adjustments, I have mine consistently below 1.2 arc seconds and it can run as low as 0.7-0.9 when conditions are perfect. As a contrast, my EQ6-R Pro will run between 0.4 and 0.6 all night long right next to it. I haven't done anything to the EQ6R. It's counter intuitive but running a little unbalanced (camera heavy and east heavy) can actually improve the guiding some and using both counterweights any time you can also helps.
SickL 0.00
· 
·  1 like
I can confirm what Joe is stating regarding the EQ6-R. I use one for running the heavier stuff. Between 0.4" and 0.6" is exactly what this mount can deliver straight out of the box. But since I am shooting from my balconies (facing towards east and west respectively), I appreciate the mobility of the EQM-35. Lately I tend to shoot even more using the lighter mount because of its superior mobility. Hence, tweaking the EQM-35 was the right decision with respect to my use case.
Edited ...
krags711 2.41
· 
I just got sky watcher 35 Eq today set it up and trying to use it. I finally the motors to work after an hour and started to sleep with it some. Figuring out how to it easier said than but got some information put in the syn scan except still having problems with entering the longitude on without changing after I put it in but still even without polar alignment I can still tell it keeps up better with the planets than does the Celestron cg 4 does. Although I did order the onstep motors and tracking to see if they will improve Celestron keeping up with the sky.
eqastro 0.90
· 

Might be worthwhile to consider why the power supply failed.  There may be something wrong with your power distribution (intermittent shorts, etc). Also make sure to confirm you have enough amperage (at least 5A for most use cases, or better 10A).

Register or login to create to post a reply.