How do you find targets to shoot? Other · Dave Ek · ... · 27 · 831 · 0

thorox 1.81
· 
·  1 like
I am gathering objects which I see - mostly here on astrobin or APOD - and look for them in the App telescopius. Here I can put them on an observation list. 

all data of the objects are stored in the observation list and the objects can be sorted. When planning an observation I always look for a specific constellation and then I find the object for the next observation.
mikeparker 0.00
· 
·  1 like
I use an iPhone app observerPro that has information on Messier, Caldwell, Herschel, NGC, IC objects.  I look at what other post that look interesting and add them to Favorites.  Over the years, I have added 60-70 objects to favorites.  I sort favorite objects by transit time to see what would be overhead between 11 pm - 1 am local time. There is always 8-10 new objects available every time out to pick from.
Edited ...
BobGillette 6.26
· 
·  1 like
I highly recommend Observer Pro, an app available on the Apple Store. Maybe also in Android.

Its Features function shows targets currently available at your location, in order of meridian transit time.  

Details for any given target, with photo, are quickly available  in a search function.  It also provides optimal seasons, dates and times for every object.

IMHO, much preferable to random roaming of a planetarium program or the like.

CS, Bob
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.