Telescope for visual observations Other · Matej Mlakar · ... · 1 · 119 · 0

mlakarm18 0.00
· 
An acquaintance would like to buy a telescope as a gift for her hubby for visual observations. Budget is around 300€ and its going to be his first steps into astronomy. Would be something like Dobson telescope N 150/750 Heritage FlexTube DOB a good pick?
barnold84 10.79
· 
·  1 like
Hi,

I don't know this specific scope personally but in general, your idea of a 6" Dobsonian is reasonable. I recommend trying to find reviews of this telescope and compare to others. From vendors' information, there are a few caveats that I would have with the specific scope you propose.
First of all, the "focuser" is something I'd let my hands off. I'd rather invest a few bucks more and go for a Dobsonian with a "full" tube like the N 150/1200 Skyliner Classic DOB from Skywatcher for a few reasons:
1. it's got a Crayford style focuser (although without fine adjustment knob)
2. it's a full tube which is likely more reliable w.r.t. holding mirror alignment
3. the support on both sides of the tube on the rocker box should help on having a smooth alt axis.
4. it's got an eyepiece holder which is convenient. The proposed scope doesn't seem to have any.

An important thing about Dobsonians is to check how good the bearings are. If alt or az axes are sticky, you might have issues following a target with the scope at higher magnifications.

These are the major points coming up to my mind for the start. I do own a 10" Dobsonian. Not everything can be transferred to a 6" but a few practical things for certain.

CS, Björn

Register or login to create to post a reply.