Increased sensor dew issue with new Photon Cage ASG Astronomy ASG Photon Cage · Nick Grundy · ... · 3 · 603 · 0

Supro 3.81
· 
Hi all, I created a post a bit ago wondering what my image issue was

sure enough, it was dew on the camera. I've since maxed my heaters and added another dew heater on the image train, just ahead of the filter wheel. They seem to be working now. 

I've never had dew on the camera before. Is this normal when using something like the photon cage? Other than using the built in dew heater on the camera and others, are there any tips to curing this?
astrospaceguide 2.41
· 
·  1 like
Nick:

I see this is an older post but wanted to follow up if needed.  I have never experienced dew on my sensor, not sure if you have ever tested the dew heater and see if it is actually engaging or not?  might be worth checking.

In terms of dew getting in, the unit can actually be sealed very well from any light or air entry if installed properly.  Let me explain below.

There are 2 plates that are pulled together using the push/pull screw system on the tilt plate.  I usually send 2 different style o'rings with it.  3D printed thin gaskets or the rubber o'ring style.  I have been using the o'ring on my units.

The push/pull bronze bushings will cause the plates to be open .5mm by nature.  They can't be closed more than this.  If you use just the rubber o'ring, it will go between the two tilt plates and the unit will compress this o'ring heavily if you lock it down to that .5mm gap.  It may not even close the full .5mm  as it tries to compress that o'ring. 

But you need room to tilt things around anyway, so what I recommend is putting a credit card in there... they are usually .8mm thick... or even 2 stacked on each side.  This would be 1.1mm over stock .5mm gap.  
  1. This is just enough room to keep the rubber o'ring compressed into the void and stop any light leaks or open air.
  2. This should do a good job centering out your unit before you start worrying about tilt.  At this stage, the cage isn't doing anything other than connecting everything.
  3. Use the backfocus system to back out the camera if you need to adjust backfocus.  Don't decompress the tilt area, you should only need to adjust the tilt slightly here.  Keep backfocus adjustments to the rear.  If you find you have a large gap forming in the tilt plates, your tilting to much or using the tilters to adjust backfocus in a large way.

But if done correctly, the o'ring compressed in there should seal things up well and dew may be related to dew heater not engaging?
Supro 3.81
· 
·  1 like
Hi Josh, You actually answered me via email already way back when i first had the issue as well. I ended up restacking the image train and did exactly when you mention above with the O-ring to improve the seal. 

I ended up only using the additional dew heater on the image train a couple times. (when it was very cold and humid) Since then the standard dew heater that is built into the ZWO camera has been totally adequate. 

I appreciate the additional follow-up though!

thanks!
Overcast_Observatory 20.43
· 
Is the dew on your sensor or on the sensor chamber window?

Register or login to create to post a reply.