"Glow" randomly appearing in RisingCam IMX571 images RisingCam IMX571 · James Tickner · ... · 13 · 681 · 1

james.tickner 1.20
· 
Apologies if this question has been asked (and answered) before, but I haven't found it mentioned elsewhere.I recently purchased a RisingCam (rebranded ToupCam) camera: Sony IMX571 26MP APS-C sensor, TE, OSC. I ired it up for the first time last night. It was immediately recognised by NINA and cooled down quickly to a set point of -20C. So far so good!The trouble started when I tried to collect dark frames. About 70% of the dark frames look absolutely fine, with a mean pixel value just above the programmed offset level and a small standard deviation. However, about 30% of the frames show a gross 'glow' - it doesn't really look like amp-glow, but it shows large scale structure. The appearance, structure and intensity of the glow is consistent between bad frames. However, bad frames seem to appear at random eg good, good, bad, bad, good, bad, good, good, good etc. The settings I used where minimum gain value (100), offset 250, sensor temp -20C, high gain off, ultra-low noise on, 60 s integration. I tried changing the high/low gain, sensor temperature setting and ultra-low noise settings but it made no difference. I then tried collecting some light frames and observed the same effect: good and bad frames are randomly intermixed, with the bad frames showing the same sort of superposed 'glow' as the bad dark frames. Again, about 25-30% of frame were bad with the remainder fine. The attached image illustrates the problem, showing typical 'good' and 'bad' dark frames (top) stretched to cover the ADC range 0-1000, and 'good' and 'bad' light frames (bottom) stretched to cover the ADC range 0-3000.I would appreciate if anyone has any insights or suggestions for further tests!example_images.jpg
wittinobi 0.90
· 
·  1 like
try with lower USB-Speed in NINA (try USB Speed 2 or 1 instead of 3).
james.tickner 1.20
· 
·  1 like

Thanks for the suggestion!

Actually, I contacted the manufacturer who supplied an updated driver for NINA. Touch wood, but that seems to have solved the problem.
OnlyCloudFish 0.00
· 
Yes update to new driver solves the problem
Phillyo118 3.31
· 
James Tickner:

Actually, I contacted the manufacturer who supplied an updated driver for NINA. Touch wood, but that seems to have solved the problem.

I don't suppose you know if they're available online do you? The ones on the website are still saying from 2021?
james.tickner 1.20
· 
·  1 like
Here's the link to a document describing the installation process. The document itself contains further links to download the SDK.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ul1VOr5NJiu7exJs-k6h4mazU9_Yw0oQ/view?usp=drivesdk
verticalmagic 0.00
· 
Sometimes I have this issue (I use the color version), I suspect it is due to some bad USB cable connection, now I always unplug/replug the cable before a session to make sure the connection is "fresh" and if I get the problem mid-session I wiggle a little bit the cables to create a better contact. I think the problem was already reported on other forums but I cannot find it.
ThierryBoufflet 0.00
· 
Hi James, did you solve your problem with the new drivers ? otherwise I would suggest to look at you power supply our the quality of you AC.
Good luck

PS: I'm really happy with my 2 RisingCam IMX571 Color and Mono
McErono 0.00
· 
I have the same issue with my touptek Omegon clone but I just live with it. had contact with Omegon and so on, no solution found so far. its like 1 or 2 frames a night that show this issue. I have it more on my Mele quieter 3 miniPC than on my regular Dell Laptop. I use USB speed 2 in Nina under the camera settings to mitigate the issue (most bad frames seem to appear with USB 0 for me, Omegon has USB 0-2, not 1-3).
Edited ...
james.tickner 1.20
· 
Hi James, did you solve your problem with the new drivers ? otherwise I would suggest to look at you power supply our the quality of you AC.
Good luck

Yes, the new driver completely eliminated the problem (so far at least).

And although I've only had it a few days, I'm also happy with my RisingCam IMX571 so far. I've had a smaller uncooled mono RisingCam device for about a year now and that has also performed flawlessly. Their service is also really good - Eddie usually responds within mintues (even at the weekend) and is very knowledgeable.
OnlyCloudFish 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Phil Wright:
James Tickner:

I don't suppose you know if they're available online do you? The ones on the website are still saying from 2021?

I have heard that they are building a new website exclusively for astro product.
OnlyCloudFish 0.00
· 
Sometimes I have this issue (I use the color version), I suspect it is due to some bad USB cable connection, now I always unplug/replug the cable before a session to make sure the connection is "fresh" and if I get the problem mid-session I wiggle a little bit the cables to create a better contact. I think the problem was already reported on other forums but I cannot find it.

I got the same suspicion before but then updated to driver version 20230723 and now it is totally fine. sometimes it might fail, but 99% of the time its fine.
OnlyCloudFish 0.00
· 
Marc:
I have the same issue with my touptek Omegon clone but I just live with it. had contact with Omegon and so on, no solution found so far. its like 1 or 2 frames a night that show this issue. I have it more on my Mele quieter 3 miniPC than on my regular Dell Laptop. I use USB speed 2 in Nina under the camera settings to mitigate the issue (most bad frames seem to appear with USB 0 for me, Omegon has USB 0-2, not 1-3).

I think there might be a new driver update for Touptek on NINA soon to solve these problems. Omegon's drive should be updated together. But I think Omegon should have the lastest driver that solves the problem.
ThierryBoufflet 0.00
· 
James Tickner:
Good luck

Yes, the new driver completely eliminated the problem (so far at least).

And although I've only had it a few days, I'm also happy with my RisingCam IMX571 so far. I've had a smaller uncooled mono RisingCam device for about a year now and that has also performed flawlessly. Their service is also really good - Eddie usually responds within mintues (even at the weekend) and is very knowledgeable.

:-D Yes Eddie is really efficient, I also noticed that he called me on week end in the past. I was some of the first user of IMX571, I was a little bit worried at the beginning because there was not a lot of feedback from other users. I have no regrets for sure. I'm happy for you that you problem has been solved. Nice sky James (where are you? I'm in Provence in south of France)

Register or login to create to post a reply.