Hyperstar 8 vs RASA 8 Starizona HyperStar 8 v4 (HS4-C8) · IrishAstro4484 · ... · 16 · 893 · 2

IrishAstro4484 5.96
· 
I'm considering buying either a hyperstar for my Edge HD 8 or getting a dedicated RASA 8. 

I've read around the subject but one thing I'm not clear on is, how easy is the Hyperstar to setup and remove and how much time is spent collimating and does it hold its collimation well? In the long run id probably mostly leave the Hyperstar installed once it's setup. 

I hear conflicting accounts about how easy/difficult/timely the Hyperstar is to setup.

And I think Celestron does state that a dedicated RASA will give better image quality than a hyperstar. Can anyone shed any more light on that? 

​​Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.
astrospaceguide 2.41
· 
·  2 likes
Just my two cents worth as I've had both a Edge HD 8 with Hyperstar and also a RASA 8 and RASA 11.  I started with a Hyperstar, but found adjustment very finicky and not sensitive enough to adjust.  I did like the fact that I could multi-purpose one scope, so that is certainly a benefit though having long and short focal length in one item... but found I almost always went for the hyperstar on that setup.

I decided to get a RASA 8 since it was dedicated and it does hold collimation better in my opinion and once setup required less intervention and more just imaging time.  Problem with RASA 8 is super short backfocus with only 29mm of spacing there and tilt is always an issue at F/2...  Both are fickle beasts.

I got  a RASA 11 and it jumps to backfocus length of 72.8mm giving much more room to play.  If I had to choose again between a hyperstar or a dedicated RASA 8, I would probably go RASA again.  I think both are great tools and systems though, and both have their pluses and minuses in my opinion.
alfredobeltran 0.00
· 
·  2 likes
I have a C9.25 EdgeHD with Hyperstar. It’s a very good setup. Apart of being able to take images at f2.3 with the Hyperstar, I’ve used the telescope at f10 for smaller objects and even f20 for planets and the moon. The telescope can even be used for visual.

Ive found that Hyperstar isn’t more difficult to collimate than when used the telescope at other f-ratio. It holds collimation for long times, so that’s not an issue.

It’s possible also to do narrow band imaging with the appropriate filter.

A highly recommended setup.
IrishAstro4484 5.96
· 
·  1 like
Alfredo Beltrán:
I have a C9.25 EdgeHD with Hyperstar. It’s a very good setup. Apart of being able to take images at f2.3 with the Hyperstar, I’ve used the telescope at f10 for smaller objects and even f20 for planets and the moon. The telescope can even be used for visual.

Ive found that Hyperstar isn’t more difficult to collimate than when used the telescope at other f-ratio. It holds collimation for long times, so that’s not an issue.

*** That's great feedback. What mount were you using with the C.9.25 Edge HD? ***
IrishAstro4484 5.96
· 
Josh Jones:
Just my two cents worth as I've had both a Edge HD 8 with Hyperstar and also a RASA 8 and RASA 11.  I started with a Hyperstar, but found adjustment very finicky and not sensitive enough to adjust.  I did like the fact that I could multi-purpose one scope, so that is certainly a benefit though having long and short focal length in one item... but found I almost always went for the hyperstar on that setup.

I decided to get a RASA 8 since it was dedicated and it does hold collimation better in my opinion and once setup required less intervention and more just imaging time.  Problem with RASA 8 is super short backfocus with only 29mm of spacing there and tilt is always an issue at F/2...  Both are fickle beasts.

I got  a RASA 11 and it jumps to backfocus length of 72.8mm giving much more room to play.  If I had to choose again between a hyperstar or a dedicated RASA 8, I would probably go RASA again.  I think both are great tools and systems though, and both have their pluses and minuses in my opinion.

*** Nice one Josh. I'm curious, what mount do you use with the RASA 11? ***
alfredobeltran 0.00
· 
*** That's great feedback. What mount were you using with the C.9.25 Edge HD? ***

I’m using an iOptron CEM60
Edited ...
astrospaceguide 2.41
· 
·  1 like
Josh Jones:

I used a regular EQ6R for a while... it was a ton of weight, but it actually handled it really well for being overloaded.  It's now on an iOptron 120EC and certainly get better values and feel more confident having in a larger mount.  The eq6R works fine with the RASA 8 and edge 8 though, matched well with that setup.

In fact, I still use the edge hd 8 for visual on my eq6r.  It's a pretty cool way to go if you do the edge and hyperstars really.  It's just a lot more work and switching back and forth all the time I got tired of doing that, so went with more of a dedicated astrograph, but the speed you get addicted to... lol.

And the investment wasn't' a waste, like I said, I still kept it and now use it for visual.  So if you go that route and decide to grow into something else, it can always be used in my opinion.
SemiPro 7.67
· 
·  2 likes
I found the hyperstar to not be as sharp as a dedicated F/2 system. Also sometimes hyperstars do not pair well with a particular telescope; I have heard tales of people who had to go to Starizona to get the guys there to look at their system only to find out some advanced adjustment was needed to get the hyperstar to work. Keep in mind this was with regular celestron SCTs. This might not be an issue with the higher quality EdgeHD telescopes.

If you have the money I would recommend the RASA over the hyperstar, just be aware that your options for filter holders and stuff are very limited due to the tiny amount of backfocus.
IrishAstro4484 5.96
· 
·  2 likes
Josh Jones:
Josh Jones:

I used a regular EQ6R for a while... it was a ton of weight, but it actually handled it really well for being overloaded.  It's now on an iOptron 120EC and certainly get better values and feel more confident having in a larger mount.  The eq6R works fine with the RASA 8 and edge 8 though, matched well with that setup.

In fact, I still use the edge hd 8 for visual on my eq6r.  It's a pretty cool way to go if you do the edge and hyperstars really.  It's just a lot more work and switching back and forth all the time I got tired of doing that, so went with more of a dedicated astrograph, but the speed you get addicted to... lol.

And the investment wasn't' a waste, like I said, I still kept it and now use it for visual.  So if you go that route and decide to grow into something else, it can always be used in my opinion.

*** ye, I'm kind of leaning towards getting a dedicated RASA, possibly the 11 inch version with a CEM 120 and pier.***

My major motivation is I get so little imaging time it would be nice to have a RASA to capture Luminance and narrow band data while my refractor is capturing RBG on the same target. 

Similar fields of view and should combine together quite nicely in Pixinsight. ***
alfredobeltran 0.00
· 
·  1 like
I think it's a matter of personal preference. No right or wrong answer. You'll be fine with either hyperstar or RASA for wide field imaging.

I also like the versatility of the C9.25 EdgeHD, for imaging or observing.

Imaging with fast telescopes is very nice. You'll enjoy it.
astrospaceguide 2.41
· 
·  1 like
Josh Jones:
Josh Jones:

*** ye, I'm kind of leaning towards getting a dedicated RASA, possibly the 11 inch version with a CEM 120 and pier.***

My major motivation is I get so little imaging time it would be nice to have a RASA to capture Luminance and narrow band data while my refractor is capturing RBG on the same target. 

Similar fields of view and should combine together quite nicely in Pixinsight. ***

The RASA 11 and Cem120 is a great combination I think...  I can usually spend several nights in narrowband, then if I am up, usually grab RGB in one evening with these on a nice moonless evening.  Having another for RGB is a good option as well.
IrishAstro4484 5.96
· 
Josh Jones:
Josh Jones:
Josh Jones:

The RASA 11 and Cem120 is a great combination I think...  I can usually spend several nights in narrowband, then if I am up, usually grab RGB in one evening with these on a nice moonless evening.  Having another for RGB is a good option as well.

*** Definitely looks like an excellent combination. Your images are excellent! How do you find weight/setting up?

CEM120 is a pretty heavy duty mount and I suspect not the kind you want to be assembling/disassembling too often. Do you have a an observatory out in your backyard?

astrospaceguide 2.41
· 
Josh Jones:
Josh Jones:
Josh Jones:

*** Definitely looks like an excellent combination. Your images are excellent! How do you find weight/setting up?

CEM120 is a pretty heavy duty mount and I suspect not the kind you want to be assembling/disassembling too often. Do you have a an observatory out in your backyard?

oh, yes, I wouldn't want to move this Cem120 at all... lol.  It's in a nexdome next to my house.  I think the eq6r and RASA 8 are as big as I would want to setup each night...  The RASA 11 is really heavy, it's close to 50 lbs when I have all my guide scope and setup on it.  maybe others have a cem60 and that would be more portable and probably handle it just fine as well.  I think if I was moving it in and out all the time, I would have gone that route... but permanent mount pier I went 120.
IrishAstro4484 5.96
· 
Josh Jones:
Josh Jones:
Josh Jones:
Josh Jones:

oh, yes, I wouldn't want to move this Cem120 at all... lol.  It's in a nexdome next to my house.  I think the eq6r and RASA 8 are as big as I would want to setup each night...  The RASA 11 is really heavy, it's close to 50 lbs when I have all my guide scope and setup on it.  maybe others have a cem60 and that would be more portable and probably handle it just fine as well.  I think if I was moving it in and out all the time, I would have gone that route... but permanent mount pier I went 120.

*** Ye, I guess it's always a trade off, portability vs weight/stability & performance.

That's also why I'm considering the RASA 8. Portable enough to take with me to a dark sky site and it should sit nicely on my AM5 mount. 

I would prefer the RASA 11 on the CEM 120. 

Decisions, decisions.... 🧐

ManuelCP 1.81
· 
Alfredo Beltrán:

Completely agree, as I have the same setup on a fixed pier with 10micron GM1000. I really like the fact I can image unguided. I have had no issues with collimation, but I never move the scope off its pier. Changing from HyS to 0.7x reducer or native is easy and has been zero hassle for me. 
CS
Manuel
tjm8874 3.21
· 
I use EdgeHD11 + HyperStar11, on iOptron HAE43 mount (was using heavy CGX, now I take care of my back)

If you go RASA11, iOptron HAE69 + Tri-Pier are much lightweight than CEM120.

What I like : sharpness and high-speed. I use Baadar f/2 SHO+RGB filters.
Image10_Preview01.jpg

What I don't like : blight star is not beautiful, I see color fringes around blight stars.スクリーンショット 2023-06-09 午後4.44.10.png
Edited ...
tlmaurer63 0.00
· 
I figure get the best imaging solution (RASA) and then pickup a used OTA (for the cost of a Hyperstar) and have both worlds (3 worlds if you get a f6.3 or f/7 reducer!)

Register or login to create to post a reply.