How many Astroimagers? Other · Bill McLaughlin · ... · 37 · 2053 · 0

Deep_Sky 12.40
· 
Well, actually now I didnt have any telescope and just help little bit a great remote telescope business partner....am I Astroimager? 🙂🙃🙂🙃🙂🙃🙂 And, please, if you guys could answer...Id like to know how this total number of AP are spreades around the continents?
Edited ...
jml79 3.87
· 
·  3 likes
Daniel Nobre:
Well, actually now I didnt have any telescope and just help little bit a great remote telescope business partner....am I Astroimager? 🙂🙃🙂🙃🙂🙃🙂 And, please, if you guys could answer...Id like to know how this total number of AP are spreades around the continents?

Well, there’s one or two in Zambia that always brag about their pristine skies, a few in New Zealand that do the same. A few in Australia that take pictures of fake objects that are myth and legend to most of us. There is a couple of talented guys in China and one crazy nut that images from a roof top in Tokyo, Japan. Some are sprinkled through the rest of Asia and some in Eastern Europe. The rest seem to be in Western Europe, the United States and Canada with a weirdly high amount in the UK. They don’t even get night for two months of the year, yet they are crazy about photography.

ps, all tongue in cheek of course.
messierman3000 4.20
· 
There is also another one who takes astrophotos of the coffee stains on his kitchen countertop.

And I'm not making it up: https://www.astrobin.com/r7vmv7/?q=fake%20discovery
Edited ...
gilghana 5.72
· 
·  2 likes
Joe Linington:
Daniel Nobre:

Well, there’s one or two in Zambia that always brag about their pristine skies, a few in New Zealand that do the same. A few in Australia that take pictures of fake objects that are myth and legend to most of us. There is a couple of talented guys in China and one crazy nut that images from a roof top in Tokyo, Japan. Some are sprinkled through the rest of Asia and some in Eastern Europe. The rest seem to be in Western Europe, the United States and Canada with a weirdly high amount in the UK. They don’t even get night for two months of the year, yet they are crazy about photography.

ps, all tongue in cheek of course.

Ah well, at least we are putting Zambia on the map!!!  Especially considering there are two of us in the entire country doing DS astro  

HegAstro 12.17
· 
Gilmour Dickson:
Ah well, at least we are putting Zambia on the map!!!  Especially considering there are two of us in the entire country doing DS astro

Judging from those Rho images, looks to be a great place to be doing deep sky work from!
gilghana 5.72
· 
Arun H:
Gilmour Dickson:

Judging from those Rho images, looks to be a great place to be doing deep sky work from!

So long as you are not particularly afraid of large and potentially dangerous animals.  
jsg 8.95
· 
Kevin Morefield:
One other interesting question is “why so much growth” these past few years?  My answer is ZWO.  They moved the market from older well off guys to guys in their 30’s with a half decent job.   The same guys that were already using Instagram.

And that’s great!

And also I think the pandemic had something to do with it.  People's lives have been deeply affected by COVID.  Being outside under the stars might be safer (at least in 2020-21) than being at a party indoors with a few dozen people.
shootnmskies20 3.71
· 
There's one at my house - that's all I'll speculate on.

Really?  I would have bet that there was two.   
scott

Actually, you're right, Scott, but my wife just considers herself my 'Support Group', and my buddy Terry lives 10 minutes away.
Deep_Sky 12.40
· 
Hello again guys! I created a simple poll just for trying to identify some Astrobin AP representatives by "continents"...if you please could "vote" Ill be glad for your cooperation! :-)

https://www.astrobin.com/forum/c/off-topic/anything-goes/where-are-you-from-earthlings-no-aliens-please/
Edited ...
HegAstro 12.17
· 
Daniel Nobre:
Hello again guys! I created a simple poll just for trying to identify some Astrobin AP representatives by "continents"...if you please could "vote" Ill be glad for your cooperation! :-)

I would question the utility of a poll such as this if the purpose is to get a geographical distribution of imagers:
  1. It is restricted to AB users
  2. It is biased towards those who choose to respond, with no way to determine if this is a statistical sampling
  3. It relies on people responding truthfully
  4. Salvatore probably has more accurate information already in his records than this poll could tell us - at least as it relates to AB users

I'm not saying it isn't a fun thing to do, but I don't see how the results could be very useful.
Edited ...
Deep_Sky 12.40
· 
Arun H:
Daniel Nobre:

I would question the utility of a poll such as this if the purpose is to get a geographical distribution of imagers:
  1. It is restricted to AB users
  2. It is biased towards those who choose to respond, with no way to determine if this is a statistical sampling
  3. It relies on people responding truthfully
  4. Salvatore probably has more accurate information already in his records than this poll could tell us

I'm not saying it isn't a fun thing to do, but I don't see how the results could be very useful.

* Well, the main goal for me is the geographical representation "sample" for Astrobin AP insiders, no problem. Yep, its just for fun, and I rely on Astrobin members.
jsg 8.95
· 
Kevin Morefield:
One other interesting question is “why so much growth” these past few years?  My answer is ZWO.  They moved the market from older well off guys to guys in their 30’s with a half decent job.   The same guys that were already using Instagram.

And that’s great!

As a life-long photographer, I think the two game-changers that led me and many other people to attempt to do astrophotography are:

1.  The CMOS camera.   When I first started learning a CCD camera back in 2005 I found them really hard to use.   The CMOS, particularly the color CMOS sensor, made a lot more sense to me, and I am sure to others as well.   Just look at how many images on Astrobin have been taken thus far with an ASI2600MC camera.

2. The strain-wave (harmonic) mount.   When I bought a Takahashi Temma mount back in 2005 I didn't realize how heavy all the equipment would be once I got out to a dark sky site.  I could not handle the weight without my lower back paying the price.   Now, with an AM5 and, soon to be, a 130mm refractor at a remote site in New Mexico, I can safely do AP without hurting myself. 

Astrophotography makes me think of a quote by Oscar Wilde:
"We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars". 

Jerry
Dcolam 3.31
· 
Ed Dixon:
Someone commented, some time back, that they thought the number of folks interested in AP and astro things had gone up a lot during COVID.  People were stuck more at home and needed a new outlet.   It seems that equipment came in short supply about the same time.

No clue on the numbers…

I always read your posts with an inner shouting voice. I find your tone very rude 

PS: I am kidding, but my inner reading voice shouts for real

Register or login to create to post a reply.