ZWO ASI 183MM Pro Amp glow reduction activation ZWO ASI183MM Pro · Georg N. Nyman · ... · 7 · 936 · 0

gnnyman 4.52
· 
Hi everyone here,

A question - I read that there is somehow a possibility to check it the amp glow reduction is active or not.

First of all, I am not aware that something like this exists which can be activated or deactivated and second - if it exists: How and were to check?

Thanks for your help and advice!

CS
Georg
andreatax 7.90
· 
·  3 likes
I never read anything like that anywhere and the ASI documentation does not suggest anything like it is possible. Even the best review I could find mention any of it and given the high EL thermal noise of the camera that would certainly be something the reviewer would have spotted:

http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/asi183mm/
shootnmskies20 3.71
· 
·  2 likes
Hi Greg,
As Andrea mentioned, and I concur, I've never read anything about an ability to activate an amp glow reduction process. It would certainly be nice; I have a 183MC-Pro, and although a good set of darks removes it, anything to eliminate it would help.
- - Steve
Sean1980 3.15
· 
·  2 likes
Hi Greg,

Have the Mono version and owned the Colour version, would a nice idea but as far as I am aware no such feature exists.

CS,
Sean
jml79 3.87
· 
·  1 like
QHY advertises an Anti Amp Glow technology but I have not seen anything similar on a ZWO. I have a QHY294m which is also famous for amp glow and when I compare it to uncalibrated subs from others' ASI versions of the same, there is a small difference but it's maybe 10% less amp glow. It's a small enough difference that without detailed measurements I can't guarantee it isn't my imagination.
bobzeq25 0.00
· 
·  2 likes
There is no magic amp glow reduction with a 183.  But...

I have both 183s.  Have never had problems with amp glow. I take lights, bias, flats, darks.  All of them.   Stack bias and get a master bias.  Calibrate the flats with the master bias.  Stack the calibrated flats into a master flat.  Stack the darks into a master dark,  Calibrate the lights with all 3 masters.  Stack.  No amp glow. PixInsight.  I used to use the individual processes, following the procedure in this book.  I now use WBPP with my 2600s, don't know is I ever used it with the 183s. 

https://www.amazon.com/Inside-PixInsight-Patrick-Practical-Astronomy/dp/3319976885/

Every time I've seem someone not cancel out amp glow, they have taken some kind of shortcut, or double subtracted bias.
Edited ...
kaelig 1.81
· 
·  1 like
The ampglow is a thermal issue ... the only solution is the dark substraction. Perharps in some years, an IA could make the work automatically.
jrista 8.59
· 
Early in the ASI183's production, I was sent an engineering copy. It had more egregious amp glow than it does today. When QHY released their version with amp glow reduction, ZWO went back to the drawing board on their driver and firmware, and eventually came up with improvements to the amp glow. When I patched my camera, the higher amp glow in certain areas was gone, and the results were the same as QHY's version.

I believe this is just default with the ASI183 now. I don't think it is an option you can turn on or off...their driver simply configures the sensor to work the most optimal way at all times.

Register or login to create to post a reply.